Sailing out of NJ.....

How rough is it normally? (I understand weather can impact the seas). My friends want to sail out of NJ and my DH refuses to sail the Atlantic because he thinks it will be too rough. Help me talk him into it!! I'd cruise the Bermuda Triangle, just to be on board!! Thanks! Terri

It really depends on the time of year that you cruise. Late winter and during hurricane season it could get rough ( but usually just the first 24 hrs). We've cruised out of NY/NJ in late September and early December. It was windy the first day, but not rough at all, by day 2 you're off Cape Hatteras in the Gulf straem and the water changes to deep blue and the seas are usually calm

I've sailed out of the NYC / NJ area at least 5 times, in Sept, March and November.

We did Nov 11th, 11 night on The NCL Dawn last year and it was rough at times. I'm generally a dramamine non-drowsy or bonine girl, and I do fine.

It doesn't really bother me too much anymore, but I felt it.

I think it was because it was a smaller ship; I 've sailed on Explorer or the Seas and The Crown Princess at other times, with storms in the area and it wasn't as bad. They are both larger ships. My opinion is I would rather spend 2 days with bumpy seas than have to fly anywhere. That's just me.

Explorer is a GREAT ship; Best I've been on yet, and I've been on approx. 9 cruises.

Your other option, if you are from NC would be to Drive South to Florida... maybe the Emerald Princess?

Good luck; if you convince him, he'll love it; just bring along the bonine just in case. ;)

We have done a couple of repo cruises that came up to Baltimore and Philly. The first one to Philly, it was awful. We were being tossed around (and we were on the Empress)... and the ship was creeking, and you could hear the lifeboats hitting the side of the ship. I thought to myself, never again. But we did do it again, the second time on the Grandeur, and even though she is not a big ship, we had absolutely no problems at all. It was a very smooth sail up the coast. Both cruises were in late April/early May. I guess it's just a chance you take.

Archived