Is it weird to ask for references from...

MamaParrotHead

private tour companies? There's a tour company in Belize I'm seriously considering for a private island/snorkeling trip (amphilife.com), but have only heard from 2 or 3 people on CC that have sung their praises. I've contacted them directly and the tour itself sounds AMAZING and crazy reasonable. I tried Googling them and not much came up.

Would it be weird/rude/strange to ask for references from them of customers who have used their service? If it were just DH and I, as it has been in the past, I wouldn't mind chancing it. But my "Friends and Family" group is now up to 20 people and counting, amongst them kiddos, and I'd like to feel more confident recommending this excursion to everyone.

And yes, I have considered a ship sponsored excursion, but only as a last resort. :D

Any thoughts?

I wouldn't ask a tour company for references. If I was that unsure of them to begin with, I'd just look for another company.

Besides....how would you know the references they give are legit?

when I can't find the info I need here, I go to tripadvisor dot com and look in their forums for the specific location. Try there - they do reviews on that site as well, so it's my non-cruise reference tool. They just sent me a free baseball hat with their logo for writing reviews there. I'm hoping if I wear it next week on my cruise, people will think I'm special :)

I say why not.....give them a call and ask as many questions as you can think of.(write notes prior) and then ask for references.....if you plan on booking that many people on one of there tours they better have the right answers for you...if they dont give you any references i wouldnt deter me from using them though.... but i am sure they could sent you pamplets and maps ect....im sure you can tell if they are a good buisness if you ask alot of questions...

Good luck and i hope you enjoy your cruise

I would say that the best way to get unbiased info on them is here on CC..

Do a search on the company name., start a thread in the Belize port of call. either way , odds are someone on CC has used them before... Besides that the only references the company will give you is satisfied customers..(which is only half usefull...) its the other half of the clients that are important....and they'll never give you their disgruntled clients info....so again this is the best place to find out from the entire spectrum of happy to not happy customers..But keep in mind that everyone has different tastes....so look past small things that others didn't like if they are not important to you, and focus on major points that people liked/disliked... as some people are impossible to please things like waiting 10 minutes to fill the tour van can make people hate the tour operator...but meanwhile the actual tour was great...so as most things on CC, take advice for or against a company w/ a grain of salt...hope this helps..

happy cruising

Archived