POAl review 2/2 - 2/13

ssaphyre

What a great time we had on the cruise. A friend and I went, both middle aged ladies. It was my first cruise and my friend's 2nd - previously having done a Carnival Caribbean cruise.

Day 1 - 2/2 - Arrival. We arrived on Saturday the 2nd several hours later than scheduled, flying from Green Bay to Detroit, to San Fran and then Honolulu. We were delayed in San Fran. Our flight arrived about 8:30 PM. NCL told our travel agent that we would have to find our own transportation to the pier, but on arrival there was a woman holding a Pride of Aloha sign.....they were picking up other cruisers (using VIP Transportation) and we asked if we could use their bus also, and for $10 each they had room for us - yeah! It was made clear to the whole group at the airport that we would have to handle our own luggage from the airport all the way to the rooms on the ship because we were told the luggage people went home for the day. it was difficult because we had quite a bit and were tired, but we did it. By 10:30 we were in our room and starved. We were told that there was nothing open on the ship for us to get a bite to eat, so we ordered room service - sat on our balcony and ate and enjoyed the warm February evening.

Day 2 - 2/3 - Honolulu. After breakfast we wanted to go to the Swap Meet. Outside the pier terminal we did find a van running from the pier to Pearl Harbor and the Swap Meet for $5 or $6. We used them and did some shopping. It did rain (hard) on and off while we were there but we got a few bargains and were happy. Actually took a nap later that day (jet lag) and then had dinner at The Palace. There was quite a line and we were told it was a 45 minute wait, but actually was only 20-25. We did eat at a table for 2, but did offer to share. The food was very good.

Day 3 - 2/4 - Hilo. Cloudy gray day as we entered Hilo. We had a tour thru Robert's planned to Volcano's National Park and Rainbow Falls. Once we got on the bus, the driver came on and said that there were flash flood warnings for the area we were headed, visibility would be limited and temps would be in the 40's and 50's. He said anyone could leave the tour if they wished and get credit towards another tour or a full refund. One couple took him up on the offer. Everyone else stayed put (it was a full bus). It was not as bad as anticipated - although foggy up at the volcano. Due to huge amounts of rain, Rainbow Falls was fabulous - it was quite amazing. Our driver was fantastic (ditto for all the driver's we had).....and we learned a lot about the Big Island. After the rain yesterday and today, I was worried that we would not see much sun while on vacation :(

Day 4 - 2/5 - Lahaina. Yes - the sun is out today! We took a tender over - it was a breeze. We did not have a tour planned so waited until mid morning. We did some shopping and walking around the town. Took a free shuttle to Hilo Hatties and enjoyed the nice weather. I wish we would have done a Whale Watch on this side of the Island, but live and learn. Went back mid afternoon. Ate again at the Palace after another wait.....food was good and we had a very good waiter tonight. Our meals ran a bit long so missed the 7:30 show last night and tonight.

Day 5 - 2/6 - Sea day. Enjoyed the ship today. Sat out on balcony and did some reading. Went to the Kukui nut lei making in the Stardust theater - had fun! June, the Hawaiian ambassador was lovely. We decided to try Crossings tonight. Got right in - no wait.

Day 6 - 2/7 - Kona. Did an NCL excursion - Body Glove Snorkel. I was a little disappointed. The water was a bit rough and although I swim (in a pool) I didn't realize how difficult this would be. I thought we would be more in a secluded bay or inlet but we were right out in the ocean. The water was cold but got used to it after a minute or two (or thee - haha). I didn't end up snorkeling - but my friend did. She said there wasn't much to see - she saw a few small yellow fish. They did serve a continental breakfast on board as well as a deli lunch. It was okay - probably not worth the $100 per person we paid - but it was not their fault that I did not snorkel. It was nice being on a boat in the sun on the Pacific Ocean on a beautiful sunny day for 4-1/2 hours :) went back to the ship afterwards and sat by the pool, played bingo and enjoyed the atmosphere.

Day 7 - 2/8 - Kahului, Maui. We had originally had plans with friends that fell thru today, so called Robert's yesterday and got on Maui Tropical Plantation Tour and Iao Valley. The Valley was gorgeous - I could have stayed there a lot longer. We again had a very informative driver who had a gorgeous singing voice and really made the tour enjoyable.

Day 8 - 2/9 - Kahului. Went and did some shopping today and just enjoyed the sunny day. Took several of the free shuttles to shop.

Day 9 - 2/10 - Sea Day. Enjoyed the ship again today :)

Day 10 - 2/11 - Nawilliwilli, Kaui - Up early - did a Robert's tour....what a beautiful Island!! We saw a lot on the Journey to Waimea Canyon tour - very pretty. This island by far is the most lush with gorgeous flowers everywhere. I loved it!

Day 11 - 2/12 - Kaui - Did the Wailua River and Fern Grotto tour thru Roberts.....It was nice and the Fern Grotto was lovely. Did some more shopping when we returned.....and then went back to our room to start packing :(

Day 12 - Back in Honolulu. We had a nice leisurely sit down breakfast and took our time leaving the ship disembarking about 9:30 a.m. Many others did the same and the terminal area was very crowded and busy. We found transportation to our Waikiki hotel for $5. When we arrived at the Hilton Hawaiian Village at 11 a.m. our room was ready for us. We booked a luau for that evening with Germaine's and explored the hotel a bit before the bus picked us up. The luau was okay - food was just so-so.

Day 13 - Honolulu. We did Pearl Harbor and Circle Island Tour with E Noa tours - it was so much fun! We saw a lot, the waves on the north shore were fantastic. We ate at one of the shrimp trucks on the north shore and it was delicious. I had the garlic butter and my friend had the coconut. It was the best! Got home late afternoon and went and had pizza at one of the restaurants at the hotel.

Day 14 - Our last day. Our plane leaves at 11 pm tonight, so just spent the day at the beach, at a couple drinks, lunch on the beach at a cafe. We got a hospitality room at the hotel to freshen up before our flight home and they also held our luggage for us until we were ready to leave. Robert's shuttle picked us up at 8:15 pm and we were on our way :(

I know this is long - sorry

About the ship - I had a great great time. The food was good at the restaurants. My favorite waiter was Felix in Crossings, but he left to go to the Dawn (I think that's what he said) two days before our cruise was over. The food at the buffet was very good for breakfast, but I wasn't real impressed with it for dinner, so we only ate there twice at dinner I believe. Almost EVERY afternoon we did get ice cream - and it was so good. They had coconut, pineapple, passionfruit, macadamia nut - mostly all hawaiian flavors - and two different flavors at a time along with vanilla and chocolate softserve and a variety of toppings. There was almost always a line, but it was worth the wait.

The first full day of our cruise, I did ask our room steward to please give us top sheets and she put one on each of our beds. Her name was Celia and we was very nice and met all our expectations. All the staff was very pleasant toward us.

I will admit that there were a lot of complainers on board. We heard people on elevators, people we shared tables with and others on tours, etc., statin they have never been on a cruise that was this bad. I am very easily pleased, it was my first cruise, and I was in Paradise, so I was happy. My friend, who had cruised once before, also was pleased. She said the room was much nicer than the room they had had on Carnival.

I think my main problem was the fact that we struggled a bit that first night to take care of our own luggage.....and it would have been nice to have had assistance with that.

Oh, and the entertainment was also enjoyable - we learned fast that if you want a good seat, you get to the venue a good half hour before the show starts - live and learn - lol.

Besides the kukui nut leis we also made ribbon leis and beaded bandana's - all a lot of fun. No charge for any of this.

I will also state that I used a debit card and no charge was put on my card until the final day for the exact amount that I owed.

Again, I know I rambled, but I received more info than you will ever know from these boards and wanted to give something back. If anyone is still reading, would be happy to answer any questions you might have. I'm still in 7th Heaven from my glorious time :)

The morning we arrived in Kaui 85 new staff came on board - they just left the Pride of Hawaii which was being sent elsewhere. That night the waitress we had said she was one of the 85 who just came on board and she seemed fine with making the switch.

There was no charge for the ice cream- and some people said they went back several times to try other flavors as they were put out. It was a nice treat!

Our favorite was the Kona Koffee Ice Cream (with chocolate sauce & nuts)!!!

Loved your review. Many of your comments/experiences exactly matched ours (we were on the sailing before yours).

Now that you're home, do you ever wonder "where is the ship today?" ;)

I throughly enjoyed your review. Thanks for taking the time to write it. Please dont apoligise -the longer the better!:D

Such a positive review it makes it even harder to wait until my turn!

Cheers,

Fiona

:)

Fiona - I know you will have a great time!!

Nice review. We are on POAL March 15-26. Who did you use for transportation to the Hawaiian Hilton? We are staying at the Aqua Palms which is in the same area as the Hilton.

LYNN

Lynn - I'm pretty sure it was VIP transportation. There are people right outside the pier terminal with either signs or asking where you are going and if they have transportion going that way, they will let you know. Everything was basically between $5 - $10 dollars to get where you are going - unless you take a cab which we never did - but cabs also are always lined up and available if you choose to go that route :)

Our favorite was the Kona Koffee Ice Cream (with chocolate sauce & nuts)!!!

Loved your review. Many of your comments/experiences exactly matched ours (we were on the sailing before yours).

Now that you're home, do you ever wonder "where is the ship today?" ;)

We did the chocolate sauce and nuts with the Kona coffee ice cream also - wasn't that just heavenly? mmmm...

Yes, I have often thought about "where is the ship right now?" since I have been back. I really miss my cruise :(

We did the chocolate sauce and nuts with the Kona coffee ice cream also - wasn't that just heavenly? mmmm...

Yes, I have often thought about "where is the ship right now?" since I have been back. I really miss my cruise :(

I thought that ice cream with those toppings tasted just like a Snickers bar.

The cure for missing your cruise is to start planning the next one!

I thought that ice cream with those toppings tasted just like a Snickers bar.

The cure for missing your cruise is to start planning the next one!

Ahhh...so that is the secret. I will have to start thinking about where my next adventure will be then. Thanks for the tip!

Archived