mariner vs liberty

wilsonzoo4

First time cruiser, myself, husband, 12 & 18 year old sons. Initially I struggled with choosing between the easter and western route. I wasn't thrilled about going to Jamaica or stopping at 4 ports 4 days in a row. I want to have a few days to enjoy what the ship has to offer. So I chose two promenade cabins on deck 8 for the 7 day eastern caribbean on Liberty of the Seas for Oct 12 08. Our stops are : San Juan, St. Maarten and Labadee.

I am considering changing to Mariner of the Seas 7 day eastern caribbean Oct 12, 08. Stops are CocoCay, St Thomas and St Maarten.

Is it true that the Freedom Class is a "stretched out" version of Voyager Class plus the flo-rider? Is the surfing simulator reason enough to book this class of ships? My kids saw a doc on travel channel about Freedom of the Seas. They were impressed with what the ship had to offer including the flo-rider.

There is only a $150 difference in the two cruises. I would appreciate any advice or opinions about the two ships and ports of call. I'm sure we'll enjoy this cruise and book another on in the future. I'm still anxious about choosing the right ship and ports for our first experience. Also, should I be concerned that I am cruising during hurricane season?spacer.gificon_profile.gif icon_search.gif icon_pm.gif

if the price difference is that small, i would go with the liberty since you have your 2 sons with you. i think the differences between the two will make a difference for your kids. if it was just you and dh, i would say mariner, but i think your kids will love it and absolutely love the flow rider. we always cruise during hurricane season, and so far so good, i just have to remember that there is a risk.

We've done both Liberty and Mariner and will be on the cruise you mentioned (Mariner this time). Your boys will enjoy both/either of the ships, especially as first time cruisers! The FloRider is way cool, but the lines are way long. The rest is really a draw with a slight edge to Liberty for the fresh water pools. We didn't feel like there were too many people on Liberty (which was our fear beforehand).

In terms of ports, we did that exact Liberty cruise last year (one reason we went w/Mariner this year). In San Juan my kids (now 9 and 10) opted to stay on board and dh and I shopped for awhile (good Polo and Coach and D&B purse outlets) and then wandered a bit.

You get St. Marten on both so that's a tie! I will say that there is excellent jewlery and liquor shopping there if that's your thing!

Labadee is gorgeous! It's very mountainous and VERY pretty. Love it. We did a new excursion last time - a snorkeling trip and it was awesome. We've been there twice and enjoyed it both times, but were ready to try CocoCay this time.

The only other big difference would be St. Thomas. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE St. Thomas. In fact, I love Eastern more than Western because the ports are so pretty. It's usually just a beach day for us but the beaches are gorgeous, there are private daysail or sailing excursions, etc. It's a great port.

No matter what you choose, you will love it and you will NOT have enough time on either ship to do it all. Prepare yourself for that and to be ready to rebook! LOL

If you go for the Mariner, come join our roll call thread. We have a large group of Mariner lovers already signed up!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=569400

came back to add: we almost always cruise mid to late October and the closest hurricane scare we had is a potential extra day at sea due to Wilma. She booked across Florida and we had no issues. Never have had an issue w/horrible weather either - great time of year to sail!

If the itinerary is not a big factor, I would do the Liberty. We have been on both but the LOS is newer - not that the MOS is run down or anthing. In fact, we have a cruise booked on the MOS due to the cost difference. As was mentiuoned before, the lines for the fowrider are pretty long. You would probably enjoy either one that you choose.

Hi, I have a question if you don't mind.

Did I read correctly when I saw Masonpips say, the Liberty has Fresh Water Pools? Is that also true for the Freedom as well? Thanks in advance.

Yes, Virginia there is a Santa Claus! And he believes in fresh water pools on new ships! Yay!!!

Is it true that the Freedom Class is a "stretched out" version of Voyager Class plus the flo-rider?
I don't think this question was answered yet. Yes, it's a "stretched out" version of the Voyager Class ships. The Promenade is longer and set up a little differently on the Liberty. In addition to the shops and pubs, it has the Cafe Promenade at one end and a pizza place at the other end. Mariner only has the Cafe Promenade which includes the pizza.

If you're going for the ship, I would go with the Liberty. If you're going for the itinerary, I would go with the Mariner. We also love St Thomas. We were on the same Liberty cruise as masonpips last October and really missed not going there. We've been on the Mariner twice and are going back on it in May.

You can't go wrong with either ship. Mariner is RCI's newest Voyager class ship and Liberty is RCI's newest ship period.

Tim

Archived