Never fails - flying out on Sat., both kids now sick!

dolphinwyo

Well....I have been waiting for it - DD (6) got sent home from school yesterday with sore throat and fever, DS (3) woke up this a.m. with it. We have been to doctor....it is not strep, so that is good. But fever, sore throat, coughing virus. So, no antibiotics to cure it. So I have set up a "hospital" in my living room, running vaporizer, feeding them vitamins, yogurt, airborne, decongestants, ibuprofen, juice, soup, you name it.....!

We fly out on Saturday, sailing on Monday, so there is time to recover before then. At least they both got it together, instead of waiting until next week. Now just have to make sure DH and I don't catch it. Any more suggestions on quick recovery? I am just thankful we have some time and they are both sick together! I do have travel insurance, but don't think that will be necessary - hopefully we will all be healthy by Saturday morning!

The best advise I can give us to make sure they take their vitamins, drink plenty of fluids, eat chicken soup and get plenty of rest. I'm sure once they are on vacation they will be fine and even if they are a little off the excitement of being on vacation will make them forget about being sick. I would ask the doctor for a prescription to be on the safe side so you can fill it and bring it with you. You never just know. I'm going to have my kids checked out two weeks before traveling to make sure they are 100%. My little one is prone to ear infections and I would hate for her to get one while we are away.

Good luck! I'm sure everything will be ok.

The best advise I can give us to make sure they take their vitamins, drink plenty of fluids, eat chicken soup and get plenty of rest. I'm sure once they are on vacation they will be fine and even if they are a little off the excitement of being on vacation will make them forget about being sick. I would ask the doctor for a prescription to be on the safe side so you can fill it and bring it with you. You never just know. I'm going to have my kids checked out two weeks before traveling to make sure they are 100%. My little one is prone to ear infections and I would hate for her to get one while we are away.

Good luck! I'm sure everything will be ok.

ZICAM! (but it might be too late)

I used Zicam when my 7 year old started to get sick the day before we were set to go to Great Wolf Lodge. It stopped her from getting a full blown illness.

But I got the poor kid the meltaway drops. She said they tasted bad and I said "how bad can they taste...just eat it". Well I started to get sick a few weeks ago and I tried one. :eek: OMG they taste HORRIBLE! I actually went and apologized to her and begged forgiveness for making her take them...lol.

So if you get Zicam, then get the nose q-tips...not the meltaway tabs.

I will give it a try - everyone in town is sick, it has been cold here waaayyy too long - need some sunshine and fresh air for sure! They haven't been allowed to go out for recess or anything for about a month now...below zero and 10-50 mph winds....fun! I must say, it will make the beach next week that much more enjoyable. Thanks for the advice. Will keep you posted!

Try the citrus flavored Zicam meltaways. MUCH better than the cinnamon flavor ones, especially the chewable ones. They are horrific.

I think your kids will be ok by Saturday if it's the same illness that's been going around my kids' preschool (sounds like it to me.) Right before our January cruise, both my kids got sick (fever, sore throat, coughing.) One got sick on Monday and the other on Wednesday morning. We were flying out on Friday morning and embarking on Saturday. I was completely and totally flipped out. The first one was ok by Thursday and on Friday morning, the second one woke up and said, "Mommy, I feel great today!" She had no fever at all, only a little cough. Why do they seem to always get sick right before a trip???

Just be sure that you wash your hands a whole whole whole lot! And get some Zicam to ward off any symptoms you might get. My DH did get a cold, but no fever, on the cruise. I stayed well until a few days after we got back, then I got the fever/upper respiratory illness (and of course, there was nobody to take care of me:rolleyes: )

Have a great trip!

I appreciate the encouragement. I am not sure why they get sick before trips, it is really frustrating. I am trying to get my work done, packed, etc., and then get stopped in my tracks. Oh well! Life goes on huh? I will try the Zicam. I hate that my oldest is missing more school now, but the school said keep her home - don't worry about it. She has already made up all the work she will miss next week, so should be o.k. though. We will see what tomorrow brings!:)

Try the citrus flavored Zicam meltaways. MUCH better than the cinnamon flavor ones, especially the chewable ones. They are horrific.

OH NO! :eek: We DID have the cherry ones. And THEY were horrific. I can't even begin to imagine the taste of the cinnamon ones if you think citrus is good. :eek:

They'll be fine !

Well....I have been waiting for it - DD (6) got sent home from school yesterday with sore throat and fever, DS (3) woke up this a.m. with it. We have been to doctor....it is not strep, so that is good. But fever, sore throat, coughing virus. So, no antibiotics to cure it. So I have set up a "hospital" in my living room, running vaporizer, feeding them vitamins, yogurt, airborne, decongestants, ibuprofen, juice, soup, you name it.....!

We fly out on Saturday, sailing on Monday, so there is time to recover before then. At least they both got it together, instead of waiting until next week. Now just have to make sure DH and I don't catch it. Any more suggestions on quick recovery? I am just thankful we have some time and they are both sick together! I do have travel insurance, but don't think that will be necessary - hopefully we will all be healthy by Saturday morning!

I guess I am just paranoid...we had one bad experience in our many travels with our DD requiring a visit to a out of country hospital for dehydration (outpatient)- she had been sick, but seemed better, dr. told us to go, then she got worse. (Before I was wise enough to buy travel insurance too!) It was a horrible experience, so now I am a little overcautious and paranoid. I will be optimistic though - they are older now, and this doesn't seem too serious. At least we have time on our side right? Thanks for the support!

OH NO! :eek: We DID have the cherry ones. And THEY were horrific. I can't even begin to imagine the taste of the cinnamon ones if you think citrus is good. :eek:

I ended up throwing away my bottle of meltaways:eek: They made me totally sick to my stomach, which is actually one of the side effects. I LOVE the swabs. They are usually a little more expensive than the meltaways, but totally worth it. I can't remember the last time I had a cold:D

We don't sail for another month; however, today my DS (12) tested positive with the Flu. He has a headache, has the chills, and has loose stools but no fever, yet. When I took him in-the RN said she didn't think it was the actual Flu -she thought it probably was just an intestinal virus. I insisted that they go ahead and do the test since we were already there. She was offended; however, guess what-the test came back positive! You never know and it is a very simple nose-swab test. We are all on "TamiFlu" now and praying that we do not get it and if we do that it doesn't last too long. We will keep your family in our prayers for a healthy, wonderful cruise.

Well, DD made it back to school today, DS is still home, but recovering. I took him back to dr., they did put him on antibiotics, so should be much better by tomorrow. Put a real "hitch in my giddy up" this week though, trying to get ready to go and playing nurse. At least they have it now, and will hopefully be healthy next week. Then while I was looking thru my final docs, I confirmed my airline, and found out they had cancelled our return flight and did not notify us!! UGH!! So, spent the night on the phone straightening that out, have to spend an extra night in FLL on the way home, supposedly getting vouchers out of the deal though. Oh well, hopefully that is the end of the hassles. I will report back when we return. I appreciate everyone's help throughout my planning stages. Take care!

Archived