Abaya required Jeddah

Narita

Excuse me if this has been touched on but I must know about the required Abaya wear for touring in Jeddah. I am willing to buy the Abaya but I am short and "plump" anything I wear I will need to hem. Is it delivered soon enough for altering before Jeddah? Help--Ill look like Im wearing my mothers clothes for dress up if I wear something 57 inches long.:) Will Silversea allow one to bring your own assuming I can find a cource around here or online?

Narita:

Good questions. The notice from SS sounds like they won't allow you off the ship if you haven't ordered an abaya. But what about people bringing their own? There could be passengers who own one, or can borrow/buy one from home. I also have questions about the "head scarf". There's no specific information about this. I imagine there must be a specific kind of head covering required; and, does a head covering come with the abaya? I've contacted someone at SS who will try to get this information. I will post whatever I find out. It probably wouldn't hurt if all of us who have questions contact SS.

Avoiding " ragheads" is not an option as someone suggested. We look forward to a new experience, thats why we travel. What i read about the dress is that non-muslim women are not required to cover their heads--but it is suggested you bring a headscarf to cover anyway--especially if you are blond. I'll be awaiting the information you are given from Silversea. Also my travel agent who we will be traveling with is working on some answers as she would like to order hers ahead and maybe the face piece that covers her head as well from one of the zillion islamic boutique sites online. Take a look-- its amazing.

A notice from Silversea states The abaya does not include a head scarf, it is recommended that you bring with you a solid, dark color scarf that fully covers the hair on your head to wear with the abaya. Abayas will be delivered onboard the ship on the day of arrival in Jeddah to those guests who previously purchased them.

A notice from Silversea states The abaya does not include a head scarf, it is recommended that you bring with you a solid, dark color scarf that fully covers the hair on your head to wear with the abaya. Abayas will be delivered onboard the ship on the day of arrival in Jeddah to those guests who previously purchased them.

I received the same information from SS.

and my daughter-in-law and I decided to wear a head covering. When we visited the sites, older women came up and kissed us. We asked our guide why they were doing that and he said it was because we respected their ways. I was touched. I do have long blonde hair and I was told it was best to cover it as well as my shoulders. I believe non-Muslim women do not have to cover up. They are quite strict about knees showing, however.

I have checked with Silversea and you may bring your own abaya if it is a dark color such as black or navy. I think they are trying to avoid any issue with guests being harrassed or fined.Am sure there will be lots of picture taking on board!

Archived