Concerns about local foods & "stomach" problems

trscuit

Well, hmmm. I don't have a stomach of iron, and I do carry meds, but I like to try local cuisine in every port. The only things I shy away from are the items that are described on the menu as 'hot', 'extra spicy', etc. When there's a choice, I always select 'mild'. You can ask your waiter how spicy a dish is. Thus far, I haven't had any ill effects.;) Now about the water - I'm not a water drinker, so can't tell you. However, I DO drink frozen margaritas (ice, y'know) with no problem. I think I read somewhere on these boards that the restaurants use purified water.

All of us who live here buy bottled drinking water and make our ice from that same water. Restaurants do the same thing. However, while they may tell you differently, most of them do not wash vegetables like lettuce and tomatoes in purified water, they use water from the sink. Have I ever gotten sick? No. Could I? Yes. Will you get sick? Probably not.

All and all it's a crap shoot.

The most important advice I can give you is to wash your hands with soap and water often and especially before you eat or drink anything.

Archived