Road to Hana

coiran

I am relocating from a post on the general Princess forum that seems to have traversed from "never again on Princess" to Hawaii, the road to Hana. The original post was getting kind of tired anyway.

We are heading for Hawaii this fall for a combination land and cruise trip and I was interested in doing the Road to Hana.

We welcome any posters to chime in with there experiences - positive only. Don't want to hear how the cruise line is responsible for it raining or your having to get towed home, etc.

Ron

NCL PRIDE OF ALOHA Oct. 2004

SUN PRINCESS 2004 Caribbean

REGAL PRINCESS 2003 Europe

GOLDEN PRINCESS 2002 Canada New England

SUN PRINCESS 2002 Panama Canal

SUN PRINCESS 2002 Mexico

DAWN PRINCESS 2001 Caribbean

SEA PRINCESS 2001 Alaska

REGAL PRINCESS 2000 Mexico

REGAL PRINCESS 1999 Panama Canal

PACIFIC PRINCESS 1999 Europe

SUN PRINCESS 1998 Caribbean

ROYAL PRINCESS 1996 Panama Canal

Hi Ron! Are you considering doing the "Road to Hana" on the land portion of your trip or as a shore excursion??? The "Road to Hana" is a wonderful journey but it is also a long and sometimes tiring one...especially for the driver. I'm not sure that I would attempt it as a shore excursion. Keep in mind that it is the drive and the stops along the route that are the reason for the trip and not Hana itself. Hana is just a sleepy little town in a very beautiful location. There is much beauty to see on Maui without taking the loooooong drive (unless it is something that you really want to do above everything else!) Have fun planning your Hawaii Cruise! Aloha!!

Cruising! It's like being in the Garden of Eatin'!

Beautiful scenery and places to swim. Tips: stop often, bring bug repellent, wear swim trunks, and have a good guide book. icon_smile.gif

Spleen

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</a>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;9;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  until RSSC Navigator - Canada - 6/04

Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - 10/03, Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 6/03, Ocean Princess - Alaska - 7/02

Ron, here I am again from the Princess boards. My recommendation is to get the book "Maui Revealed" and pick the spots on the Road to Hana which you especially want to see. There is absolutely no need to go all the way to Hana --- and if you do, be forewarned that it's about 3 hrs each way of just driving, and you really can't go faster because of the slow traffic and many hairpin turns and tight spots. There is a seemingly endless list of waterfalls, overlooks, short hikes and just lovely scenery to choose from --- and this plan gives you the flexibility to stop as long as you wish at any one place, rather than rushing back to the car so you can be on your way. I also still suggest a stop at Mama's Fish House on the way back -- it was definitely one of the highlights of our stay. Another beautiful spot to see on Maui is the Iao Valley --- absolutely spectacular scenery with a lot of history, as well as quick and easy to get to. Have a great time!

Cynbar,

thanks for the tip about Mama's...can't wait til we're in Maui again. We thought about going this August but OMGoodness, the air prices were outrageous!!! I just can't stomach $650-$800 r/t to Hawaii...so we're going to Brazil instead. Oops, sorry Coiran, didn't mean to get off topic again icon_smile.gif

I do want to do the Road to Hana -- has anyone stayed at the hotel there? I heard or read it's supposed to be nice with a great spa.

We are on the Oct 24 sailing of the NCL Pride of Aloha - we are staying in Oahu from the 19th till sailing then 8 days after the sailing - we will probably go back to Maui on the last week for a couple of days and do the Road - Does anyone know if it can be traversed all the way through as opposed to retuening the same way you came??

SUN PRINCESS 2002 Mexico

SEA PRINCESS 2001 Alaska

We did the complete circuit last year. The views of Haleakala from the back side are spectacular. The road isn't the best, and can be dangerous in spots if you're not careful, which is why the rental companies don't want you to go there. We had an intermediate sized vehicle and wouldn't have wanted something any larger.

Island Princess Feb. 2004

Grand Princess Feb. 2002

Norwegian Sky Feb. 2001

What's your interpretation of Dangerous???

SUN PRINCESS 2002 Mexico

SEA PRINCESS 2001 Alaska

We went all the way around and had no trouble, even on the unpaved parts. I agree, the views of the back of Haleakala are outstanding, and the ocean has a whole new look on that side. Our vehicle was a Ford Explorer and was quite easy to maneuver. However, I couldn't quite imagine a tour bus doing that route!! There are some places when two cars can barely get by each other--

Glad to see this thread. We're thinking of doing the Road to Hana on our two days there off of the Pride of Aloha in October.

Rather than driving to Hana and turning around and going back the way we came (putting me in the passenger seat looking over the edge....gulp), we were going to do the complete circuit. I've been worried about the rental car contract excluding the lower part of the road. My question is, does the rental car exclusion include SUV's? Every post I've read has just mentioned cars.

Thanks for your help!

Valerie

I seem to remember that most rental companies have Jeeps or other 4 wheel drive vehicles, and they are excluded from the restrictions. You pay a lot more for them though.

Island Princess Feb. 2004

Grand Princess Feb. 2002

Norwegian Sky Feb. 2001

If you want more info on the Hana Highway and the Piilani Highway check out this website

As you will find out if you read the sections on Hana and Piilani highways, the Piilani Highway begins where the Hana highway ends. While the rough, unpaved section of Piilani is probably the primary reason rental companies make this off limits to their cars, it can be dangerous at night and even unpassable during heavy rains.

The rental contracts state that driving on these "forbidden" sections will make the contracts null and void. Just what that might mean should you be involved in an accident or breakdown in those sections, I don't know, nor do I want to find out.

Dan

Infinity Hawaii

11/14/2004

My husband and I did the road to Hana in January. The car we rented was a Tracker. We stopped at a gas station and bought a CD that pointed out the sights. It would tell you to start playing at a certain mile marker, or to turn at a certain marker if you wanted to explore something that was off the main road. Some of the sights and beaches were breathtaking and we were the only ones there!

It was very informative and allowed you to go at your own pace. The narrative took us all the way to Hana. We decided to not turn around and go back the same way, but continue on the "forbidd

en" section. The first part of the road was unpaved and bumpy but no worse than your local country road. We never feared for our safety or that of our rental car. The road became paved after a few miles. It was well worth the trip to take the full circle although I would not attempt it in heavy rain.

Royal Princess 03/97

Royal Princess 10/99

Grand Princess 02/01

Carnival Sensation 12/01 (Nascar Cruise)

Radisson Paul Gauguin 04/02

Norwegian Majesty 11/02

Voyager of the Seas 03/03

Caribbean Princess 10/16/04

Celebrity Mercury 02/07 05

vmalcom - when in October is your cruise?

Ron & Connie

SUN PRINCESS 2002 Mexico

SEA PRINCESS 2001 Alaska

Hi!

We're going on October 10th. I hope by then all of the glitches will be worked out. I see you are going in October too. I am working hard to plan the itinerary in ports. I've routed our trip through Las Vegas to make up for the lack of gambling on the ship!

Valerie

Vmalcolm - we were booked on the Pride of America on Oct 10 also, our 40th anniversary, but when they switched ships they switched us from a midship balcony to a very forward (first cabin) inside cabin and they offered a $40 per person refund. We said "no thanks"! We are doing a land trip now, 6 days on Hawaii and 6 on Maui, and one on either end on Oahu.

• 2 weeks later...

Heck I'm on the Oct 10 too and planning the road drive. Got the book recommend here in this thread. Great book. They have the same book for each island so I got them all.

Since I will be driving, still debating doing the full loop which is about 110 miles. Doesn't seem that far, but it is a slow road - both from a safety and wanting to stop and view the sights.

It's about 50 miles to Hana, and there is really nothing there from what I've researched.

I'm curious on the loop drivers. How long did it take, how often did you stop to see the sights?

We drove out of Kahului about 9:00 am and got back to that point about 5:30 pm. We stopped a few times but didn't linger --- the only exception was at the Blue Pool, where we swam under the waterfall and it also takes a few minutes to walk there and back from your car. It is really impossible to go much faster --- it's only a 2 lane road (one lane in some places) and the line of traffic goes very slowly. We spent almost no time in Hana itself, just stopped for a quick snack.

We did the loop in about 6 hours from the Alamo Rental Office on the west side and back to Lahaina. Stopped only for lunch in Hana. Met with very little traffic on the way to Hana and thankfully none to speak of on the "forbidden" section.

Hi Coiran,

My husband and I did the road to Hana, although it was on our honeymoon 15 years ago. From the other posters here, it sounds like not much has changed (fortunately!) I would say do the trip on your own on a day when you have no time constraints-it will be much more fun.

I used two guidebooks; Fodors Maui, and The Maui Handbook by JD Bisignani. The second was especially helpful, oulining great places to stop along the way to see waterfalls etc. You wouldn't know where to stop without the book- for example he'll say something like: after passing the cow pasture stop at the second granite post and you'll find a small trail to the left.

The drive is the whole point-we didn't even stop in Hana. We did the whole circut (which was great as you see the other side of Haleakala, as well as some outstanding vistas, and shows how the terain on Maui can change dramatically from the jungle look to pasture and fields)

The road was dirt but manageable-we rented a Jeep but didn't have to use 4 wheel drive. The scariest part was running into a Jeepful of local teenagers who made fun of us as we passed by...we just kept going without comment :) The hike into Oheo Gulch at the Seven Sacred Pools was memorable, if for no other reason that we did a 4 mile round trip hike in flip flops- (stupid, we didn't know it was really that far in :o ) We wanted to see the filagree waterfall, and ended up in a bamboo forest on the way. It was too cool! I did get a little nervous when the man hiking ahead of us pointed out wild boar tracks to his companion, but who knows if that was for our benefit.

As far as a really scary drive, the loop that goes out of Lahaina, past Kaanapali up and over the northwest end to Waiehu was truly frightening. We should have put the Jeep in 4 wheel drive for better traction. The road plunges off to the left and it's a single, very high lane. We thought if we went off the road they'd find our skeletons years later as know one would ever know you were there. :eek: As an aside, we saw a full size school bus careening along (going in the same direction in front of us) that left us in the dust, but I can't imagine doing that every day! There were a couple little villages we didn't stop at, and there were locals with monkeys on their shoulders watching and laughing at us from their little roadside stores. It was something out of a movie set. Like the Road to Hana's backside, you aren't supposed to be there in a rental, so if you have damage, good luck to you and the Red Sox!

Have a blast planning-"Maui no ka oi" (Maui is truly the best.)

Kathy

Archived