Timing of White Pass Scenic Railway Trip

pteague

Hi all,

I performed a search in hopes of finding an answer to my question, but only found two (old) relevant posts. I realize that weather is unpredictable; however, do you think I'm safer taking the White Pass Scenic Railway trip at 12:50pm vs an 8:15am departure? My fear is with fogs, clouds, etc...

Thanks in advance!

Pam

I asked that very same question for our cruise last season.

Was told by those in-the-know, that it didn't matter. Weather is a crap shoot in Alaska at any time.

We wound up taking the early morning train, because we're relative early birds ourselves.

Turned out OK.

Have read that this is train one way and bus, the other. I think I read this on Princess excursion website. I would prefer train both ways.

Is there a better side of the train to sit for views?

Thanks,

If you are going up, sit on the left...going down, sit on right...

There are R/T train excursions as well as combo excursions, which allow you to visit areas the train can't take you...as well as allow for stops along the way. You do not need to book via the ship, you can get train tickets from the railroad or you can book combo excursions from local operators (see many other posts on Chilkoot Charters, etc.).

We took this tour in 8/06 and I liked it. We left in the morning and it was an all day trip. As a matter of fact we were late getting back to the ship so had no time for touring the city of Skagway. They held the ship since the excursion was booked through ROyal Caribbean. Very foggy and rainy on the bus ride up - was a little scared but enjoyed it and the lunch at the top was good. Barbeque chicken, etc. Train trip was neat on the way back. Also a little rainy on the way down. Yes - weather in Alaska is unpredictable, just dress in layers and bring a jacket. Dont forget binoculars and camera - they are musts! I even wore a scarf and gloves. It was cold... All other ports that trip were beautiful and no rain.

Archived