flying in day of embarkation - are we crazy?

hnymon

We are flying on a Delta direct flight ATL to Barcelona overnight and land at 11am the day our NCL cruise leaves Barcelona March 30th. Are we totally crazy for doing this?? What is the transfer time from the airport in Barcelona to the port? How long does it take in Barcelona to get bags and go thru customes etc???

Appreciate any help/thoughts/advise!! It's our honeymoon so we REALLY don't want to start it off on the wrong foot!

Thanks!!

Erica and Josh

We are flying on a Delta direct flight ATL to Barcelona overnight and land at 11am the day our NCL cruise leaves Barcelona March 30th. Are we totally crazy for doing this?? What is the transfer time from the airport in Barcelona to the port? How long does it take in Barcelona to get bags and go thru customes etc???

Appreciate any help/thoughts/advise!! It's our honeymoon so we REALLY don't want to start it off on the wrong foot!

Thanks!!

Erica and Josh

You are taking one heck of a chance. March 30, late winter/early spring weather, airport security delay, crew delay, plane mechanical-there are just toooo many things that could go wrong. And what happens if your luggage is not there???? You have hardly any time to make out a lost luggage report, let alone try to find it. You must be on the ship by no later than 5:00PM. In a perfect world, you should make it. But!!!!

Since it's your honeymoon, the stress will be high enough. It will be unbelievable if ONE little thing goes wrong. If at all possible, please try to reschedule your flight to arrive a day early. You will have a much more enjoyable trip.

Crazy....yes and no. I have made the flight from Atlanta to Baracelona before its my belief that flight is fairly stable. You should be arriving at Terminal 2 if you are flighing Delta. Make sure to fill out the proper paper work before departing the plane, in other words make sure you have paper work for each person traveling. Getting through customs is really easy. You should be through customs and retrived your luggage within 30 to 45 minutes. This should put you out in front of the air terminal where you can get a taxi to the port. It will cost you around 28 to 35 Euros depending on how much luggage you have. The trip to the Port should take you anywhere from 35 to 45 minutes depending on the traffic. If all goes well this should put you on the ship by 1:15 PM or soon after. In August I have a flight into Rome where I have to get to the port by 6:00 PM. The ship leaves at 7:00 PM. I usually fly in a day or two ahead of time but this year is going to be different. The cost of Hotels in Rome are even higher than Barcelona however I feel I can get to Rome with plenty of time to spare. There are things like flight delays, mechanical problems and weather issues that can happen. Just make sure your connection times have plenty of time to spare and keep your fingers crossed. Out of 7 cruises this will be the first time we will be flying in the day of our cruise. I hope this information helps. Tim

If it's anything like my honeymoon, there's no other option. We were married on the Saturday, and left for the cruise at 0-dark-thirty on Sunday.

Just cross your fingers, relax, and make sure, as Flyertalker will tell you, to have lots of alternative flights ready to get booked on if your flight goes screwy.

Good luck, congrats on the wedding, and enjoy the cruise!

Archived