Another Cell Phone question...for you experts.

heffa72

I understand that the ships now have cell towers that allow us to use our cells while at sea and in port. I also know that Verizon (my service) will charge me $2.49/minute on the ship and when I'm at St. Thomas or other ports the rates will change. What my question is...if I'm *near* the ship by in port...will my cell pick up the cruise ships tower or the local island's tower? How will I know? I'm told it will say "roaming" regardless of which one I'm using...so will the Carnival tower (if I'm picking that up while in port and near/on the ship) go by the local rates of the island too?

Sorry...don't know if the tower dictates the rates of if the postition of the boat in conjuction with its tower dictates the rates? I don't want to pay $2.49/min in St. Thomas if Verizon is telling me that I can get rates as cheap as $0.69/min if I use the service on the island.:confused:

That's GREAT to know...resolves all of my concerns in one quick sentence. Thanks for clarifying.

Hope this helps to. I used my Verizon phone in St. Thomas within 200 yards of the ship and was charged .69 per minute. Big sigh of relief when I got the bill.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure why this was, but on the Spirit this past January we sailed so close to the shore, the AT&T cells phones were picking up the land towers as opposed to the Ships. AT&T will say on your phone "cingular at sea" or "AT&T at sea". It was pretty nice for those using their phones. Most of the 8 days it was the land towers though...

look here for att cell services at sea

http://www.wireless.att.com/travelguide/coverage/coverage_details.jsp?CIDL=1578&MNC=CING&DID1=112&DID2=&STEP=5

and here for other countries

http://www.wireless.att.com/travelguide/coverage/roaming/step1.jsp;csessionid=CNFQN2UFKQGZPB4R2FOCFFA

in st thomas, and san juan if you call att cell to cell no charge! but follow tese links to blackberry usage and charges

beerfunnel.gif

I used my Verizon phone in St. Thomas within 200 yards of the ship and was charged .69 per minute.

Good to know, We will be in St. Thomas and I heard in San Juan Verizon is free with the network.

Fred

Are the towers on the ship considered as international or US towers? I have Roaming as part of my plan so I shouldn't be charged extra as long as it's not international.

basically international but with att it will allways be 2.49 min

the only thing we do at sea is 1 or 2 email a day to check with kids

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have to sign up for coverage either on the ship or through AT & T for your cell phone to work at sea?

I've been on a couple of different cruise lines and my cell phone did not work while out at sea - only while in port.

Thanks for the help.

Do you have to sign up for coverage either on the ship or through AT & T for your cell phone to work at sea?

I've been on a couple of different cruise lines and my cell phone did not work while out at sea - only while in port.

Thanks for the help.

nope...just expect a huge bill if you use it alot

Archived