Dunn's River Falls with kids~question

triplemom3

With the Dunns River Falls, when you actually cross the falls, everyone links their hands together and holds hands the entire time crossing. Your kids might not like that. I have a 7 year old and she wouldn't hold her siblings hand because of "cooties." Of course, you could put one child in front, one in between the two of you and one behind you on the end. But would they like holding a strangers hand? You might actually e-mail Peat Taylor and ask. Peat Taylor comes highly recommend here at CC and I'm sure you'd get an honest response.:)

I just have to say, TRIPLETS!!!:eek: Wow, and I thought a 5 and 7 year old were a lot of work! Bravo for being a loving mother and taking them along. Even though our two are a handful, I just couldn't leave them at home while I was gone for a whole week.:( Not only would I miss them terribly, but everytime I saw something really awesome on one of the islands I would think of them. And they LOVE the kids programs. We've been on a number of cruises with them and they always look forward to the kids programs. Good luck on your cruise, I hope it all works out!

Climbing the falls means large steps from one level to the next. Not kid friendly. You'll be carrying the seven year olds a lot of the way.

Though the falls look romantic and intriguing in the ads, crowds of people ruin the experience. Imagine five hundred people in three or more lines climbing a tenth of a mile of stair-step falls. Lots of time to stand and wait while another group goes through the only climbable place. Slick rocks and strong currents were enough to frighten weaker members of my group (that's why everybody holds hands).

- Mike

I have done DR with my 8 yo son twice this last year. You really need an adult in front and an adult behind the child to do the falls. The rocks are slippery, there are some places with deep water and some places with rushing water. The adult in front sometimes has to literally pull the child up to the next level of rocks. The adult behind is sometimes pushing and sometimes just there for safety sake. If you were going with more than you and your dh, I would say try it, but with just the two of you and three kids I wouldn't try. You could always hope for help from other adults in the group, but that may not work out. Consider the river tubing. It is a blast and you do not have to be a good swimmer because you have a life vest on. The "rapids" are exciting but not dangerous at all. My son enjoys jumping out of the tube towards the end and swimming the rest of the way. There is also a rope over the river that the kids can swing on and then jump into the river at the end.

I agree that DRF with three young ones would be difficult!

Re the tubing that someone recommended: I don't see how that would work for three 7yo kids, either, unless they'd let you somehow connect the tubes to the adults' tubes. When we did it, they gave each person a paddle to try and "control" their tube - don't think that age would be able to do that. I agree that it's a lot of fun - just don't think it would be a good idea with three of that age. Just my 2 cents' worth.

You might think about trying Sunset Beach Resort. It has a $20 all inclusive that includes alcohol, sodas, lots of food, 3 beaches, 3 pools, snorkel equipment, chairs, umbrellas, floatie mats, tiki huts for shade, volleyball, paddleboats, canoes and hardback floats. The kids would only be $10 and they could eat the delicious cheeseburgers and play on the paddleboats or snorkel. They even provide the beach towels for you. At tripadvisor.com one mother said that her child started ordering the strawberry margaritas ( without the alcohol of course) and felt so grown up drinking a foo-foo drink like her mama with an umbrella in it.:D

Their website is at www.sunsetbeachresort.com and their toll free number is 1-800-261-5013. You can see the resort from the ship and it is a short taxi ride away. This is a private resort so there are no pushy vendors around trying to get you to buy their stuff. :) Plus, their website says they are an all inclusive resort and tipping is not required. I thought I might throw this option out there since it sounds like the DRF thing might not be such a good idea with 3 kids. We are bringing our 2 children along with us and thought it would be very relaxing at Sunset Beach because the kids can build sandcastles and snorkle with daddy while I rest. Plus, we don't have to worry about finding a place to eat or hearing the kids complain about wanting a soda. It's all in one place, so we can relax, soak up the sun, and enjoy the beach!:D

Archived