Crown Princess FAQs

njtwinmom

Hi, I am looking to book the Crown Princess Nov 2, 2008. I will be travelling with family (me, husband, 2 boys age 11, parents, brother, his wife, boy 15 and boy 7). I have lots of questions. We will probably get an inside cabin.

What decks, if any, should we avoid?

Should we stay back, middle or front?

Any recommendations on cabins?

Is there self serve laundry?

Is there ice cream or frozen yogurt?

What kind of food is at the Horizon Court for breakfast and lunch?

How are the children's club?

Anyone have a kid's daily activity sheet?

Anyone have an daily activity sheet for the ship?

The soda card for $31.80pp is that for unlimited fountain sodas for the entire trip?

How do 4 people fit in a cabin? Are there 2 pullman beds or is there a sofabed?

I would love to see some pictures of the ship and if anyone has a picture of a room with the pullman beds open.

Thanks!

We stayed in Aloha deck cabin 309 on the Crown in October and it was great. It was our first-ever cruise so we didn't know what to expect. We had a nice balcony with a great view, very little effect from the motion (but we felt the motion a fair bit if we went aft to Club Fusion, for example). The cabin was close to the stairs and elevators but we didn't hear any excessive noise.

In looking at the floorplan for the Crown, I see that Cafe Caribe is located behind Horizon Court. Does this crowd the seating for the buffet especially at breakfast? What is served at Cafe Caribe and is it buffet or wait staff?

Thanks for your help.

In looking at the floorplan for the Crown, I see that Cafe Caribe is located behind Horizon Court. Does this crowd the seating for the buffet especially at breakfast? What is served at Cafe Caribe and is it buffet or wait staff?

Thanks for your help.

Cafe Caribe is like an extension of the Horizon Court, but with alternate food choices, and is also buffet-style. It also has a great 'midnight snack' buffet that starts at 11:30pm every night. The only time we found it really crowded in Cafe Caribe was on embarkation day; after that seating was never an issue. We really missed this on the Golden Princess.

What decks, if any, should we avoid? Personal preference here, usually. Upper decks get more movement, I've heard.

Should we stay back, middle or front? Again, personal preference. I've heard front and back get more movement than middle.

Any recommendations on cabins? sorry, none (except giving a thumbs up to aft balcony cabins - they're wonderful)

Is there self serve laundry? YES!!! I think it's about $1.50 to wash and dry - but that's just an estimate. There's soap in pay machines there, or you can bring your own (I did)

Is there ice cream or frozen yogurt?

*Ice cream is a sore subject on this board; don't be surprised if you read a lot of complaints about "It's so horrible that you can't get free ice cream on Princess!!" That's simply not true, it's just not free 24/7.

*You can get ice cream every day in the dining room (free) at lunch and dinner - wonderful sorbets/ice creams, in my opinion.

*Every day at around 3:00 (maybe 3:30, I'm not sure) there's (free) ice cream in the buffet - on the side that's NOT open for meals. This is unadvertised, I believe.

*In addition, there is a sundae bar with hard ice cream available on one of the pool decks. This is a PAY facility - you pay for your sundaes, though I believe you can buy a card that gets you one or two free for buying a bunch.

*There is no soft-serve on the ship, though there MAY be yogurt - I'm not sure if it's one of the options at lunch/dinner, or if it's always ice cream & sorbet.

What kind of food is at the Horizon Court for breakfast and lunch?

*This varies. I've never been disappointed. (Though I'm an eat-in-the-dining room for dinner type of person - the buffet does disappoint ME for dinner - just my opinion.)

*You usually for breakfast have the options of: eggs (hard boiled, scrambled, omelet, or fried to order at the omelet station), toast and bagels, cereal (oatmeal and cold varieties), various meats, fruits, and then some other odd things (usually to cater to some specific cultural taste, such as lox - sorry can't think of more specifics right now).

*For lunch, there's a large variety, depending on the day. It's been too long, so I can't specify.

*There is also a burger/hot dog/french fry stand, and a pizza stand on the pool deck. I often ate here for lunch (and am looking forward to it next month). You can also get lunch from inside the buffet, bring it to the pool deck, and supplement it with pizza or fries.

How are the children's club? Sorry, no clue. As long as you're going during a school holiday time, the children I've seen have seemed to be having great fun.

Anyone have a kid's daily activity sheet? Again, sorry.

Anyone have an daily activity sheet for the ship? Sorry, haven't put that album up in my pictures. However, if you google "Crown Princess patters" you'll get a variety of links - it'll vary each cruise, but it'll give you an idea of the activities that are offered.

The soda card for $31.80pp is that for unlimited fountain sodas for the entire trip? It's a specific cost per person per day - it may be $31.80 for your cruise, I'm not sure. I think it's $7 or $8 per day, plus a 15% service charge. (And watch your ship account - it's usually charged to some odd bar that you know you didn't go to, so it may take you a minute before you realize, "Oh - that's the drink cards.") Anyway, this gets you unlimited fountain drinks at any bar, plus in the dining room (but not on Princess Cays or from room service). Anything that comes out of the "soda gun" is covered - this is usually Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Soda Water, and Shirley Temples. Some ships, some sailings, may have Ginger Ale at the bars also, some may have it only in the dining rooms. There is no fruit punch or lemonade included in this, as far as I know.

How do 4 people fit in a cabin? Are there 2 pullman beds or is there a sofabed? Sorry, it seems to depend on the cabin. Sometimes it will be a sofabed, sometimes it will be a bunk that pulls down from a wall. I've heard that having these extra beds made up will really make the room unusable except for sleeping.

I would love to see some pictures of the ship and if anyone has a picture of a room with the pullman beds open. Sorry, again, don't have my pictures up. Though, again, if you Google "Crown Princess Pictures" and maybe even a year date, you'll get plenty of pictures. (Anything from before 2006 is the OTHER Crown Princess, which is why adding the date might be helpful.)

Thanks! Hope I helped!

Archived