How many of you fake bake?

ronkay

how many of you fake bake prior to a cruise, my DW and I are 36 days out and going to get an unlimited 30 day tanning package this evening. helps to get a good base so you do not burn as bad.

I think thats real bake, Fake bake is that lotion you put on that makes you look orange :D

Fred

I fake baked before I went. One of the best things I ever did. I didn't burn at all, even when we snorkled. (Of course I did use a SPF 50 sun block while I was out too) - But the other benefit, I didn't glow on the beach like I would've if I hadn't gone tanning prior to the sailing.

Yeah, tanning beds are real bake :p (anything that can actually bake you or cause cancer, to me, is real bake :p) I use the lotions now, the higher end lotions and I really enjoy them. Now that I am approaching my upper 30's, I try to stay out of the sun as much as possible... there are many "fake bake" products out there that do not leave you streaked and orange... but still give you really nice color. Then I just pile on the sunscreen anytime I'm out in the sun.

don't do tanning booths. afraid of them after seeing so many people get burned and the things malfunction. you could not get me near one.

Cars crash everyday also, but I still have to drive to work everyday, it is the only I have enough $$ to go on my cruise with my fake tan.

(just kidding please do not take offense)

True STory, not sure if it was here in San Diego or elsewhere.

This young female, she was a week away from her vacation and also wanted to Pre-Bake. She hit 3 Tanning Salons because the one Tanning shop would only allow the recommended doseage. So she figure she can out smart them and hit 3 different places in 1 day.

That night her body smelled like Bacon, the next day she was dead.

Fred

I posted this yesterday on my roll call thread but thought it might helpful here too :p

My Day at the Tanning Spa/Salon

Seeing as I haven't been to a tanning bed in the past decade, DH and I decided we might go check it out today. He says he has been to a tanning bed, but I think he must of dreamt he had. So we go in, and of course get the spill about all these products we will be needing to enhance our tans. DH is lookn at all the enhancers, smelling all of them, pricing them out ($35-$100 by the way:eek:) He wanted a manly smelling one I think. Anyway, he decides on the 6 pack sampler box that comes in a chinese takeout box lookn thingy for $20. He orders his 5 tanning appts for the week and off he goes.

Now, I know that someone referred to themself as Casper in an earlier thread, but I'm so pale, you could turn off the lights and I would be glowing in the dark! :p I don't tan, I burn, peel, freckle, burn peel, freckle. So I decide to do the mystic tan that's after of course asking the all too important question, "Now, when I do this mystic tan thingy, is anyone going to see me nekad (or naked if your more refined) while I'm getting this fake tan?" With horror in the very cute, very tan, very blonde, and very young eyes, she replies "Oh God no, your in the booth by yourself" Now, I tried not to take this too personally and back I went to the mystic booth. I put the hair net on, put this nose piece way up in my nose with cotton hanging out, oh yes and get nekad. She showed me the poses, but the whole time I'm thinking how am I going to get the spray in some of the places that need to be lifted . She said to stretch. So I proceed to get in to the booth, nearly doing a backbend to make sure all of me gets at least some of the spray, then the nose peice pops out my nose midspray and i am now breathing in all that spray. I turn around and s t r e t c h some more. I must say I'm exhausted now. I'm at home waiting to see what my tan looks like and how many places actually did or did not get hit. If anything, the inside of my nose should be a lovely shade of brown.

If all goes well, I 'll be back next week before the cruise. Next time I will make sure my mouth is closed as well.

LOL! Chasholly, that is hilarious!! Yeah, the Mystic Tan takes some getting used to! If you have someone that does the airbrush technique, that is much better and about the same price, and you get a really nice tan!!! I'm hoping that all the years I spent in the sun and tanning bed don't ruin my skin or make me look too old before my time, but I stopped before it started getting bad... wrinkles don't run in my family and I want to keep it that way :p LOL!!! The Mystic Tan and spray tans are a good option... also, Bath and Body sells a brand that is really good too!! Good luck and hope your next one goes better!!

I will be purchasing a 30-day package on March 3rd. I won't go every day - but definately 3-5 times a week just to get myself a good "base" tan before I step out into that sun. I start out very slowly - maybe 8 minutes and build up to a maximum of 20 minutes. I'm not one to visit a tanning salon on a regular basis - in fact, I doubt I'll be back in one the rest of the year. BUT, after a very long and cold winter here in northern Indiana, I have no desire to put on a bathing suit and parade around the ship. My three days "at sea" will be spent on the Lido Deck with a good book and my sunscreen. I did this two years ago when we sailed and it worked great. I was in the sun every day - swimming, snorkeling, etc. and never burned on the entire cruise. Came home looking tanned and relaxed.

I go to a tanning bed before I cruise. I started in January and my cruise is not until May. I hope to be nice and dark before we go. I've done this for all our cruises and have yet to burn when on the beach. Maybe I've been lucky. I try to get my hubby to go to a tanning bed but he refuses.

As for tanning beds malfunctioning. I've never had it happen to me or anybody I know. The beds I go to have two seperate timers on them. One is controlled by the person tanning and won't go past 20 minutes. The other timer is controlled by the person in charge of the tanning beds. They are on the wall next to their desk and won't go past 20 minutes either. Plus there is an emergency shut off next to the desk.

If I am going on a cruise in the winter months I always get the 30 day package. I never burn. I don't go every day and I get a great tan for my cruise. But I do tan very easily.

But other then that I will do a couple weeks before summer and I am fine.

We have a pool and we are at the river alot in the summer to keep the tan good until the next winter cruise:D

BTW Fred that is Urban legend:rolleyes:

As for tanning beds malfunctioning. I've never had it happen to me or anybody I know. The beds I go to have two seperate timers on them. One is controlled by the person tanning and won't go past 20 minutes. The other timer is controlled by the person in charge of the tanning beds. They are on the wall next to their desk and won't go past 20 minutes either. Plus there is an emergency shut off next to the desk.

LOL, neither have I... I used to frequent tanning beds, have a few friends that have them in their homes, and have a friend that owns a salon and I have never heard of one malfunctioning or blowing up, LOL

Now, going to a tanning bed several times in 24 hours is just STUPID!! I doubt someone would die, but it certainly is an idiotic thing to do.

Now, going to a tanning bed several times in 24 hours is just STUPID!! I doubt someone would die, but it certainly is an idiotic thing to do.

Yes, just plain idiotic and stupid! I have actually heard of someone doing this. I never have nor will I ever do that! I don't even go every day and I have unlimited tanning!

I do, and I hate it. Tanning in the tanning bed is the most horrible thing in the world for me. I get so incredibly bored that I count down as soon as I law in the bed until it's over. I don't tan my face for long, I normally cover it with a towel.

I've gone twice this week and will go today and that's in. Then a little next week and then I'll stop for a few weeks and then go back until I'm a little less transparent. I have a monthly membership that I haven't used since May of last year and have been too lazy to cancel so I figure I might as well use it until we cruise. Plus we have a wedding in AZ the beginning of April and I'd like to have a little color :)

I usually do 2 or 3 sessions in the tanning booth and then follow that up with the Nutrigena spray on Tan. It does not turn you orange like the old products used to. It's cost about $10 per can and I can do about 3 full body applications with one can. Just make sure that you wash your hands well (using a scrub works best) after applying or your palms will turn orange! :eek:

I do, and I hate it. Tanning in the tanning bed is the most horrible thing in the world for me. I get so incredibly bored that I count down as soon as I law in the bed until it's over. I don't tan my face for long, I normally cover it with a towel.

I so agree lol! We now have what they call the quick beds. 12 min. tops.

The old ones I had to stay in for 20 looooong minutes:eek:

Never never do I tan the face. Girls keep it covered;)

Archived