Cozumel And Grand Cayman Shore Excursion Question

mlivolti

We did a snorkeling excursion in Coz. with Eagle Ray divers. This is a moms and pops run business but it was awesome. One of the reasons was because they have small boats and they take you away from the hundreds of people being transported to the same spots to snorkel. If you would like additional info I would be happy to help. This is a non-ship excursion. It came highly recommended to us.

We loved the Segwaysnorkeling trip we took with Sunshine Tours. Very safe. We booked privately, and were with another group on a ship's tour..but for a lot less money. It's located in front of Puerta Maya Pier in Cozumel.

If you want to try something a bit more than snorkling, you might want to try Snuba. You dive to a depth of about 20' connected via an air hose to an airtank floating on the surface. You do not need to be certified. My son and I did it in Cozumel and it was a blast. Either way, have a great cruise.

We did the Reef and Wreck snorkel, as our cruise was very crowded with quite a few other ships also in port at the same time, figured the Stingray area would be super crowded. We enjoyed the spots we went to, but both were near the Tender docks. If you know where they are, you can snorkel on your own and save the cost of the tour, even after buying your own equipment if you don't have any. I don't remember who the tour operator was, but we were quite disappointed with them. The took us to the site, gave us a very brief introduction to snorkeling then let us all go in the water. The spent the time sunning on the deck and gave us little if any additional help. I did experience problems with my mask. They did little to help me out except give me a different mask. Didn't do the trick.

Summary...we enjoyed the tour but not the operators.

I second the recommendation to swim with the stingrays in Grand Cayman! We recently did the pirate ship excursion and the kids thought it was "ok". I would definitely find a private tour for the sting rays, though. The ones through the ships are so overcrowded.

In Cozumel we have just about done it all we have been soooo many times! I also recommend the snuba tour! It was one of the best things we have ever done on an excursion. If that isn't something your interested in...we did the dune buggy tour around the island and they stop and let you swim in different spots and cook you lunch on the beach! The kiddos loved that (ages10&6 at the time).

Whatever you choose you will enjoy! Hey....your in the Caribbean!!:)

We just returned from the 5 day Pearl to Cozumel and Caymans and it was our 4th or 5th visit to each port. Yet we still thoroughly enjoy generally doing th same thing.

We have always done Stingray/Reef snorkel with Captain Marvin's in Cayman and think they are great. However this year, on the suggestion of someone we tried NativeWay and did a stingray/snorkel/rum reef lunch tour and it was fabulous and I would repeat. I have also had recommendations for Moby Dick's similar tour in the Cayman's. What I liked about Nativeway is that they checked the Stingrays to see how many boats there were, saying we could just reef first and swing back if it was too crowded.

In Cozumel we did Playa Uvas for snorkel, lunch and beach. It was perfect for us (2 adults and 20 year old son who has MR) but it is quiet. If your son wants more "action" and water toys, you might consider Paradise beach but beware it is packed with many many people. We preferred the more sedate and had wonderful service, a great snorkel and delightful lunch. They do have boards, water mattresses etc at Playa Uvas. Tell Carmen Kim said hi if you go there!

kim

Archived