Hats!!!!!

Gritsgal

We are doing a Med. cruise in Aug/Sept on Legend...I am wondering if someone can tell me what women wear in Italy, Greece/Turkey, etc. on thier head to combat the sun during this very hot time of year. I have a crushable "straw hat" that I love, not too sure how well if will stay on in the breeze (if there is one!!), but I also love baseball caps...something I understand is a fashion "no-no" in Europe.

Help! Any suggestions??

Grits

We are doing a Med. cruise in Aug/Sept on Legend...I am wondering if someone can tell me what women wear in Italy, Greece/Turkey, etc. on thier head to combat the sun during this very hot time of year. I have a crushable "straw hat" that I love, not too sure how well if will stay on in the breeze (if there is one!!), but I also love baseball caps...something I understand is a fashion "no-no" in Europe.

Help! Any suggestions??

Grits

We did a Med cruise last August and neither one of us would have survived without hats, especially walking through places like Ephesus, Pompeii, and the Parthenon...the sun was brutal (and that's coming from someone who lives in one of the most hot & humid places in the U.S.). I had a packable "straw" hat (it's actually made of paper) and DH also had one...both hats had straps so we could take them off inside without having to hold onto them. We also took baseball caps but only wore them onboard at the pool...I'd have to disown DH if he attempted to wear one anywhere else!

I saw many, many women AND men with large brimmed hats on in the Med...even as far north as Barcelona and Rome. I couldn't tell you if they were native or tourist (except for a few who wore the inevitable black sock/sandal look...but, then, most of them were wearing ballcaps...LOL)

We nearly drove ourselves crazy reading the posts prior to our Med cruise last fall. So many references to what was not European, and how not to look like a tourist. In other words, Europeans do not wear jeans, do not wear athletic shoes, and are very stylish dressers. Our actual experience was that you should definitely go with whatever is comfortable for you. I'm quite sure that I was considerably more comfortable in my shorts and walking shoes at the top of the Acropolis than the European woman wearing spike heels and a sundress. But she did look good! We went for comfort and both of us wore hats of the straw brimmed variety because even in September the sun was brutal. There are so many tourists that you will blend in no matter what you wear. There are so many amazing sights to see that above all you should be comfortable so that you can enjoy them all.

Archived