Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

Thanks for the help Karen. Looks like we will have to come up with a plan B. If we don't make it to the Underground Tour we might just walk around the International District or the waterfront.

We are sailing Princess not HAL. I thought if wine was ok then champagne would be too since it is wine. Maybe we will have to skip that part too.

We are really looking forward to the cruise and of course to all the exciting things to do in Seattle.

Dave

Thanks for the help Karen. Looks like we will have to come up with a plan B. If we don't make it to the Underground Tour we might just walk around the International District or the waterfront.

We are sailing Princess not HAL. I thought if wine was ok then champagne would be too since it is wine. Maybe we will have to skip that part too.

We are really looking forward to the cruise and of course to all the exciting things to do in Seattle.

Dave

This used to work ever so much better when I worked for Princess, because I could just bring all of the regulations and requirements up on the intranet. I have searched princess.com and not been able to find whether champagne qualifies as wine or not. But, after reading the entire miserable passage contract, I found the following:

Passengers hereby agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for consumption.

And there will be a $15.00 per bottle corkage fee.

As to walking around on the waterfront or I district, just be careful in that half mile or so that you will have to walk through the intermodal terminal to get to somewhere that you can catch a bus.

<<<<< But, after reading the entire miserable passage contract, I found the following:

Passengers hereby agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for consumption.

We just wanted to have a toast in our cabin for our 25th anniversary. My wife really doesn't drink and probably will only have a sip.

Thanks so much! You didn't have to go to all that trouble!

<<<<<walk through the intermodal terminal to get to somewhere that you can catch a bus.

What the heck is a intermodal terminal? Should we be scared? I thought that this hotel was in a great location? I have read that there are homeless people around this area but that they were harmless.

We are from an area with no public transportation to speak of, so this will be quite a challenge for us to master the bus routes. I am sure we will be putting miles on our feet......

Dave

<<<<< But, after reading the entire miserable passage contract, I found the following:

We just wanted to have a toast in our cabin for our 25th anniversary. My wife really doesn't drink and probably will only have a sip.

Thanks so much! You didn't have to go to all that trouble!

<<<<<walk through the intermodal terminal to get to somewhere that you can catch a bus.

What the heck is a intermodal terminal? Should we be scared? I thought that this hotel was in a great location? I have read that there are homeless people around this area but that they were harmless.

We are from an area with no public transportation to speak of, so this will be quite a challenge for us to master the bus routes. I am sure we will be putting miles on our feet......

Dave

No problem, I need to look at the contract from time to time just to stay familiar with it.

The hotel is in Pioneer Square. During the day, as long as you ignore those who are trying to hit you up for money or other things and act as if you belong, you should have no trouble. Be very vigilant at night, stay in well lighted areas. No need to be scared, just be aware of your surroundings. Most of them are harmless, yes, and Pioneer Square has actually calmed down as the "hotspot" in the last year or so. Seems to have moved closer to downtown/Belltown.

Buses are plentiful near the hotel but, if you decide to check in to the ship and then go out again, no so much. Terminal 30 is in the midst of the intermodal terminal (trucks, trains, ships, cargo loaders), so you need to exercise caution when you walk around in that area.

Seattlecruiselover (Karen),

Thanks for all your many posts. I have learned so much from your advice and input.:D Now, for my few questions????? We arrive on Thurs. evening 8/14 for our NCL Pearl cruise on Sunday 8/17. We are staying at the Seattle Marriott Waterfront $$$$:eek:, thankfully with Marriott points.

First, getting to the Hotel. As I have researched I can take the grayline for $11 but will have to add $3 for Airporter connector service. Total $28.00 per couple. Does grayline drop you off at one of the listed hotels and then you wait for someone to pick you up and take you the rest of the way? Although this is the cheapest, sounds like it could take some time. Am I right? Shuttle Express is $33 for a shared van ride, taxi is $35. Is that a flat rate for the taxi? Do you have any experience with on call limo that is contracted with the Airport? Their cost is $45 and appears to be a taxi ride in a towncar instead of a cab.

Next, we have 2 days in Seattle and we want to go to the Boeing Plant. Is it better to go on a Friday or Saturday? Are there more Boeing employees working on a Friday, which could make it more interesting, realistic, informative? I also noticed a Chocolate Tour that looks very yummy. It leaves from the Chocolate Box. Do you anything about this tour? Can I walk from Marriott Waterfront to the Chocolate Box? They say they are near Pikes Market.

Also, my DH is an aviation nut. Do you think it is too much to do the Museum of Flight and Boeing in one day? Do you recommend any tour companies for Boeing trips? How would one get to the Museum of Flight from Downtown?

Lastly, Am I correct in thinking that I can walk from the Marriott Waterfront to Pikes market and Pier 66?

100 days and counting.:p

Thanks for any advice.

disneydiane

Seattlecruiselover (Karen),

Thanks for all your many posts. I have learned so much from your advice and input.:D Now, for my few questions????? We arrive on Thurs. evening 8/14 for our NCL Pearl cruise on Sunday 8/17. We are staying at the Seattle Marriott Waterfront $$$$:eek:, thankfully with Marriott points.

First, getting to the Hotel. As I have researched I can take the grayline for $11 but will have to add $3 for Airporter connector service. Total $28.00 per couple. Does grayline drop you off at one of the listed hotels and then you wait for someone to pick you up and take you the rest of the way? Although this is the cheapest, sounds like it could take some time. Am I right? Shuttle Express is $33 for a shared van ride, taxi is $35. Is that a flat rate for the taxi? Do you have any experience with on call limo that is contracted with the Airport? Their cost is $45 and appears to be a taxi ride in a towncar instead of a cab.

Next, we have 2 days in Seattle and we want to go to the Boeing Plant. Is it better to go on a Friday or Saturday? Are there more Boeing employees working on a Friday, which could make it more interesting, realistic, informative? I also noticed a Chocolate Tour that looks very yummy. It leaves from the Chocolate Box. Do you anything about this tour? Can I walk from Marriott Waterfront to the Chocolate Box? They say they are near Pikes Market.

Also, my DH is an aviation nut. Do you think it is too much to do the Museum of Flight and Boeing in one day? Do you recommend any tour companies for Boeing trips? How would one get to the Museum of Flight from Downtown?

Lastly, Am I correct in thinking that I can walk from the Marriott Waterfront to Pikes market and Pier 66?

100 days and counting.:p

Thanks for any advice.

disneydiane

Actually, the Connector runs on a parallel with the regular service, so you should NOT have to wait too long. The Marriott is outside the flat rate taxi zone, you will be on the meter. I have used the on-call limos at the airport without any problems in the past.

Everett, where the factory tour is, is about 30 miles north of Seattle. The Museum of Flight is about 15 miles south of downtown. You COULD do both in one day, but it might be tricky. If you want to go to Everett, you should reserve ASAP, those tours sell out early for the summer season.

The Chocolate Box is between 1st and 2nd Avs on Pine (but it could be Pike, I am always forgetting which one I am on when I walk down there--they are separated by only one block). It is certainly walkable from the Marriott, total of about one mile or slightly less.

Hey Karen, someone on my roll call posted this question:

Good so now i can shop up a storm!!!!;)

have you been to Seattle before and if so do you have any recomendations on inexpensive computer shops? my son wants to get some pc goodies at good prices:)

if you a moment can you come help her out?

Here's another question from her:

and also if you know of scrap book shops that have beter prices? i am getting the alaskan stuff in jeneau as ive seen it on the web and it looks good. and we dont get ANY alaskan stuff here.

I know she's staying at the Holiday Inn Express near the Space Needle if that helps you out when answering her question.

Thanks for all of your help, Karen. I may have to take you up on your offer if I don't come up with a workable plan.;)

Hope you enjoy your trip. This will be the first to Alaska for us. We're taking my parents for their 40th anniversary.

Thanks for all of your help, Karen. I may have to take you up on your offer if I don't come up with a workable plan.;)

Hope you enjoy your trip. This will be the first to Alaska for us. We're taking my parents for their 40th anniversary.

This is my fifth, but my first on Princess. You will love it.

SeattleCruiselover,

We're thinking about going to Cheesecake Factory on a Saturday when we arrive in June for an 18th birthday party of 7. Do you know if there's ample parking and all that? What time do you suggest we go without a long wait?

Thanks

SeattleCruiselover,

We're thinking about going to Cheesecake Factory on a Saturday when we arrive in June for an 18th birthday party of 7. Do you know if there's ample parking and all that? What time do you suggest we go without a long wait?

Thanks

There are several parking garages in the neighborhood. There is no such thing as a time without a long wait at the Cheesecake Factory unless you are first in line when they open. Sorry.

You might want to try the Crab Pot then. They serve these MONSTER feasts in giant stainless steel bowls. If the boys like seafood, it would be perfect for your needs.

Thanks once again! You are a true gem!!! :D

Hey Karen someone on my roll call (same person that asked about computers) is asking about scrapbook stores in Seattle? Do you know of any?

I know of a couple in Lynwood, but that is an hour's drive/bus ride each way. Nothing downtown that I can think of at all.

Are your suitcases all packed and sitting in the hall yet?

I wish. I'm actually at work again today. And I'm hosting a party at my house next Saturday so it'll have to wait until then. Guess what I'll be doing next Sunday afternoon?:p Can't wait to see your fine city again.

I wish. I'm actually at work again today. And I'm hosting a party at my house next Saturday so it'll have to wait until then. Guess what I'll be doing next Sunday afternoon?:p Can't wait to see your fine city again.

I'll try to have some good weather for you, and will run out and wave as you are sailing away while I am on my way home from work (gotta drive right by there).

:D Not sitting in the hall but I've done a trial run on packing to make sure everything fits. That wasn't really a lot of fun since I had to unpack too. The luggage is ready and waiting to be refilled.:D . I believe wrp96 is on the same cruise we are.

:D Not sitting in the hall but I've done a trial run on packing to make sure everything fits. That wasn't really a lot of fun since I had to unpack too. The luggage is ready and waiting to be refilled.:D . I believe wrp96 is on the same cruise we are.

Two weeks to go and you aren't packed yet? I'm not going for three months and I've got some stuff packed already......:rolleyes:

Wow, thank you SO much for offering up info on Seattle.

We will be ending our cruise in Seattle on a Friday morning, arriving at port at 6 a.m. Our flight is not until 4 p.m. and we'll have a lot of luggage with us (traveling with a baby so it's impossible to pack light). Is there a hotel within walking distance of the cruise terminal that will allow us to store our luggage for a few hours? I had thought the Marriott did, but just called and they said they only offer that service for guests. We are willing to pay a small fee.

We will be at the cruise terminal near Pike Place Market (I believe that is terminal 66, correct?).

Thanks again!

Wow, thank you SO much for offering up info on Seattle.

We will be ending our cruise in Seattle on a Friday morning, arriving at port at 6 a.m. Our flight is not until 4 p.m. and we'll have a lot of luggage with us (traveling with a baby so it's impossible to pack light). Is there a hotel within walking distance of the cruise terminal that will allow us to store our luggage for a few hours? I had thought the Marriott did, but just called and they said they only offer that service for guests. We are willing to pay a small fee.

We will be at the cruise terminal near Pike Place Market (I believe that is terminal 66, correct?).

Thanks again!

The concierge at Pier 66 will store your luggage for you for $3.00 per bag until 2:30 pm on your date of return. That should give you a fair bit of time to do something and come back before returning to SEA-Tac

I apologized if these questions have been asked before:

- what pier will the NCL be dock at ? we will be on the Pearl on 6/29

- we will be flying in a day in advance, where do you suggest that we stay at ? how do we get to the pier ? do you suggest we rent a car ? we will be travelling with our 12 yo son.

Thank you so much for your help.

I apologized if these questions have been asked before:

- what pier will the NCL be dock at ? we will be on the Pearl on 6/29

- we will be flying in a day in advance, where do you suggest that we stay at ? how do we get to the pier ? do you suggest we rent a car ? we will be travelling with our 12 yo son.

Thank you so much for your help.

Pier 66.

It is cheaper to stay near the airport, but more convenient to stay downtown. It all depends on your budget. You could probably get a room for just a bit over $200 a night down near the airport for three people, where you would likely be looking at nearly double that downtown for three people.

Taxi is probably your best bet for three pax. Hardly worth renting a car for an overnight stay.

Archived