Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

Thanks for the quick reply. I have sent some emails to get some quotes, I will post what I find.

Any opinions on the Quality Inn and Suites? Should we keep this reservation or perhaps keep looking?

No, actually, this property is fine. The area is a little "fringe-y", but all you need do is be aware of your surroundings at night. During the day, no one is going to bother you. Just act, at all times, as if you know where you are going, and don't interact with any panhandlers.

Hello,

I have read through all 92 pages of this very informative thread. Most of my questions have been answered however I do have a couple.

My husband and I along with my in-laws are traveling on Rhapsody of the Seas May 15, 2009. My husband and I will arrive several days in advance with the intention of traveling over to Port Angeles to check out the area (there is a high probability that we will be transferring there next year). What route would you suggest taking to get from the airport to Port Angeles?

Now for a Seattle question. Last time we were there we ate at Ivar's and loved it. Wanted to go there again but I wanted to find out exactly where it is. We were in a cab coming from an obscure mall somewhere (we left an entire suitcase back home in Texas and had to quickly replace clothing). We will be staying (thurs before the cruise leaves on fri) at the Red Lion on 5th Ave.

Thanks for all the great info.

Sarah

Okay time to ask about the famous Dungeness crab. I hear in WA and particularly in Seattle its best around.

Any restaurant suggestions for these tasty critters? Any other downtown restaurants to consider?

thanks

:p

The Crab Pot Restaurant on Pier 57

http://www.pier57seattle.com/restaurants.html

Though I am allergic to shellfish and can no longer eat it (love it, though) start with the Dungeness Crab Cocktail, then proceed to the "Westport" main dish. This is on their menu which is on the URL above.

The Crab Pot Restaurant on Pier 57

http://www.pier57seattle.com/restaurants.html

Though I am allergic to shellfish and can no longer eat it (love it, though) start with the Dungeness Crab Cocktail, then proceed to the "Westport" main dish. This is on their menu which is on the URL above.

Yep, gotta second the Crab Pot recommendation.:D

Hey everyone. I have booked the Alaska cruise on May 10 with my 2 daughters. Flying in to Seattle, Wa. Can anyone tell me if booking excursions on the ship or on shore are cheaper or the same. Also is there a website that one can book excursions in advance that might be cost effective too. Is there a website that I can also go on that would tell me what the average temperature would be in each of the area's we will be in, so that my daughter's and I can make sure we dress appropriately.

Thanks

Hey everyone. I have booked the Alaska cruise on May 10 with my 2 daughters. Flying in to Seattle, Wa. Can anyone tell me if booking excursions on the ship or on shore are cheaper or the same. Also is there a website that one can book excursions in advance that might be cost effective too. Is there a website that I can also go on that would tell me what the average temperature would be in each of the area's we will be in, so that my daughter's and I can make sure we dress appropriately.

Thanks

There is a website to book shore excursions but, unfortunately, I can't tell you here. Google Cruise Shore Excursions and I'm sure it will show up.

As for the average temps, just go to http://www.weather.com and input each of the cities you will be going to. That information is there under "averages."

SeattleCruiselover and others....

Thank you so much for all the information you share on this board! We will arrive in Seattle on May 23rd and will be sailing on the Star Princess on the 24th on our very first cruise. We are so excited and trying to be as prepared as possible to make our 25th anniversary trip just AMAZING! Your insight has been priceless! We've decided to use Princess hotel and transfers due in part to all of your information. We feel confident that it will make our time in Seattle less stressed! Thank you again so much!:)

SeattleCruiselover and others....

Thank you so much for all the information you share on this board! We will arrive in Seattle on May 23rd and will be sailing on the Star Princess on the 24th on our very first cruise. We are so excited and trying to be as prepared as possible to make our 25th anniversary trip just AMAZING! Your insight has been priceless! We've decided to use Princess hotel and transfers due in part to all of your information. We feel confident that it will make our time in Seattle less stressed! Thank you again so much!:)

You are so welcome. Have a great anniversary trip (Having been there six times this September, I just know you will love AK).

Karen: Thanks for being so helpful! I have not found anyone doing what we're doing.....I feel so special!

We're driving from L.A. to Seattle for our Alaska cruise on September 5, 2009, onboard the Golden Princess. Our daughter lives in Eugene, Oregon so, it gives us the opportunity to cruise and visit the kids, either before or after. :)

I'm taking two weeks off work. One week to travel and one to cruise!

I've been doing some research and wanted to stay in a small town (South) of Seattle, the night before and a few days after to explore Seattle.

Some questions:

What do you think of Tutwila? Is it a nice community? How long would it take to get from there to Pier 91? Is there a small town closer that you'd recommend? And what would the traffic be like on a Saturday morning to the pier?

Do you have a "secret" passage to Pier 91 (Princess dock).....the directions from Mapquest and the Pier authority, from Interstate 5, are so convoluted. Is it really that confusing and if you have some secret streets, etc. Can you please share them.

Any help would be so welcomed!

Karen: Thanks for being so helpful! I have not found anyone doing what we're doing.....I feel so special!

We're driving from L.A. to Seattle for our Alaska cruise on September 5, 2009, onboard the Golden Princess. Our daughter lives in Eugene, Oregon so, it gives us the opportunity to cruise and visit the kids, either before or after. :)

I'm taking two weeks off work. One week to travel and one to cruise!

I've been doing some research and wanted to stay in a small town (South) of Seattle, the night before and a few days after to explore Seattle.

Some questions:

What do you think of Tutwila? Is it a nice community? How long would it take to get from there to Pier 91? Is there a small town closer that you'd recommend? And what would the traffic be like on a Saturday morning to the pier?

Do you have a "secret" passage to Pier 91 (Princess dock).....the directions from Mapquest and the Pier authority, from Interstate 5, are so convoluted. Is it really that confusing and if you have some secret streets, etc. Can you please share them.

Any help would be so welcomed!

Ah, Tukwila. I used to work there. It is mainly an industrial area, about 5 miles north of the airport, with not much there to recommend either for or against it. Downtown Seattle is about 15 miles north of Tukwila, and Terminal 91 another 4+/- miles north of downtown. Never plan on less than an hour, sometimes more. Remember that is a holiday weekend.....

Easiest way from Tukwila to Terminal 91 is to take East Marginal Way South north past Boeing Field. It will turn into Highway 99. Go north on 99, across the Alaska Way Viaduct (the elevated freeway). Get off at the Elliott Av offramp (before the viaduct dumps you into the Battery St tunnel). Go north on Elliott. Just before the Magnolia bridge, you will see Garfield St. Turn left on Garfield, and Terminal 91 is right there).

Stay the heck away from Interstate 5 at all costs.

As for small towns.....there is no such thing. It is solid city from Lynnwood (north of Seattle) all the way to Tacoma. Like Tukwila, all of the other places with names of their own may be incorporated areas, but they are not off in a little space of their own.

I have learned so much from this thread. Thanks to all, but I have more questions. We are staying in Seattle 2 days pre cruise to Alaska in May and I got rooms at the Red Lion Hotel Downtown for $79 night. Today I got a message from Hotwire that the hotel was downgraded from 3 1/2 star to a 3 star, so they will issue a credit to my account for any future bookings. Has anyone stayed here recently and why the downgrade? What is within walking distance?

My other question is about the town car service. Can they accomodate 4 adults and all luggage or should we order 2 cars? Thanks for any suggestions!

Sorry, I changed the name of "Tukwila." We found a very nice hotel and reasonable.....I'm not crazy about being in the hustle and bustle of the city and giving ourselves an hour sounds reasonable to me.

We cruise out of L.A. a lot and our drive to the San Pedro pier is also about an hour. So, I won't mind that at all.

You are a blessing to us "out of towner's!"

Again, thanks so much for the great information! ;)

I have learned so much from this thread. Thanks to all, but I have more questions. We are staying in Seattle 2 days pre cruise to Alaska in May and I got rooms at the Red Lion Hotel Downtown for $79 night. Today I got a message from Hotwire that the hotel was downgraded from 3 1/2 star to a 3 star, so they will issue a credit to my account for any future bookings. Has anyone stayed here recently and why the downgrade? What is within walking distance?

My other question is about the town car service. Can they accomodate 4 adults and all luggage or should we order 2 cars? Thanks for any suggestions!

The Red Lion is right in the middle of downtown. About four blocks walk to Pike Place Market. About three block walk to the monorail to Seattle Center. Directly above the bus tunnel. Easy walk to buses to Pioneer Square for the underground tour.

It used to be another brand of hotel up until about 3-4 years ago (and for the life of me I cannot remember which brand right now). Unlike a lot of the other hotels, I don't think they've done much in the way of renovation lately. It's not BAD, mind you, just not brand spanking new.

If you are thinking to use Already There Town Car, they have everything from regular town cars to stretch SUV's. Just tell them you have four people and how much luggage, and Jerrett will get the right vehicle for you.

Sorry, I changed the name of "Tukwila." We found a very nice hotel and reasonable.....I'm not crazy about being in the hustle and bustle of the city and giving ourselves an hour sounds reasonable to me.

We cruise out of L.A. a lot and our drive to the San Pedro pier is also about an hour. So, I won't mind that at all.

You are a blessing to us "out of towner's!"

Again, thanks so much for the great information! ;)

As long as you are going to have a car, you should be OK (though I advise pre-reserving your Terminal 91 parking as soon as you can), since there is not much in the way of places to eat in Tukwila proper (you will have to get out and about a bit for that little chore).

Glad to be of service.

As long as you are going to have a car, you should be OK (though I advise pre-reserving your Terminal 91 parking as soon as you can), since there is not much in the way of places to eat in Tukwila proper (you will have to get out and about a bit for that little chore).

Glad to be of service.

Yes, I plan on doing that (because the pier is not done, they won't let you pre-reserve until the end of February!)

And, the hotel, River's Edge, says that they are a few minutes from shopping and restaurants and they offer a complimentary breakfast.

We'll have a car full of snacks (you know how that goes when you're traveling!) :p I could open a store from my car! :)

Yes, I plan on doing that (because the pier is not done, they won't let you pre-reserve until the end of February!)

And, the hotel, River's Edge, says that they are a few minutes from shopping and restaurants and they offer a complimentary breakfast.

We'll have a car full of snacks (you know how that goes when you're traveling!) :p I could open a store from my car! :)

It will indubitably come in handy.

Thanks for the reply Karen. I have been away for a few days. Just got the info. You mentioned to google for information on excursions. Do you feel we can get a better price on these sites vs. on the ship or on shore? I am also thinking about booking with Seattle Express to take me to and from the Hotel and airport. So I am not a cheap scape or give more than I feel I can afford, can you tell me what is the average gratuity that one should pay when booking these services. Also my 2 girls (17 and 22) and I will be in Seattle around 2 PM, the day before we cruise to Alaska. We won't have a car, and hopefully nothing to expensive. We will be staying at the Travelodge. If you are familiar with the place, is there something around there that you would recommend that we might enjoy doing since we will have most of the day. Thanks for everything. We can't wait.

Hi, we will be coming in May 14th or 15th and leaving on the Star Princess, pier 91 on the 17th. I have several questions.

1. What are some hotels nearest this pier?

2. How far to Pike Place Market?

I've been reading this thread and think I've come up with

shuttles to check out to get from the airport to motel to dock and then from dock to airport.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Archived