Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

It looks like September 5th, out of Seattle to Alaska is ALL CLEAR! In terms of baseball or other games. :)

Does anyone know of any other big events we should be looking out for on our road trip to Seattle from Los Angeles on the above date?

Is that Labor Day weekend? Bumbershoot is way bigger than NW Folklife. Poor you. Plan extra time if you are going anywhere near Seattle Center.

Karen..

I have never been to Seattle before and need some information please..( I have a mom that is in a wheelchair that will be with me)..In your opinion, would you stay at a hotel at or near the airport,and take a taxi to the pier... or would you stay closer to downtown? I only need to stop by the Harley Davidson shop on 1st ave. before heading to embark. Would taking the greyline from the airport to a downtown hotel be cheaper than getting a taxi for 2 from the airport to the pier, with a stop at the Harley store, and if so.. which hotel do you like the best. thank you so much for any info you can give..

Treva

I was looking at the SIXTH AVE INN, OR THE DAYS INN.

Karen..

I have never been to Seattle before and need some information please..( I have a mom that is in a wheelchair that will be with me)..In your opinion, would you stay at a hotel at or near the airport,and take a taxi to the pier... or would you stay closer to downtown? I only need to stop by the Harley Davidson shop on 1st ave. before heading to embark. Would taking the greyline from the airport to a downtown hotel be cheaper than getting a taxi for 2 from the airport to the pier, with a stop at the Harley store, and if so.. which hotel do you like the best. thank you so much for any info you can give..

Treva

I was looking at the SIXTH AVE INN, OR THE DAYS INN.

I don't know how much longer the Inn on Sixth Av will be open. It is planned to be demolished for a skyscraper sometime, but no set date. I know little about the Days Inn.

Hotels at the airport tend to be less expensive overall than those downtown.

Taxis are flat rate (about $30) from the airport to downtown hotels. Grayline is about that for RT per person. You will have to pay waiting time for the taxi when you make your stop.

We're thinking of going with Homewood Suites, is the Western Ave. or

the Pike St. location best? Also, I see the Airport Express stops at only

some hotels. How do you get to the others? Thanks.

Western Av is far closer to Terminal 91.

http://www.graylineseattle.com/airportexpress1.cfm

You will have to take a taxi from the nearest stop, which would be the Westin for either of those properties, and there are always taxis standing in front of the Westin on the 5th Av side.

Shouldn't be more than $15 for two.

Thanks!!!! I think I'm starting to get it, :D:D

This is what I got so far,

Airport to hotel-Car service about $50+ for 4

Hotel to Pier 2-Taxis $15 for each taxi

Pier something for the day and to an 10pm flight ???? Still working on this :rolleyes:Maybe Rental car, or tour and storage at airport, then I can't remember transportation to close things to do. This is the hardest.

Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!!!! I think I'm starting to get it, :D:D

This is what I got so far,

Airport to hotel-Car service about $50+ for 4

Hotel to Pier 2-Taxis $15 for each taxi

Pier something for the day and to an 10pm flight ???? Still working on this :rolleyes:Maybe Rental car, or tour and storage at airport, then I can't remember transportation to close things to do. This is the hardest.

Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Easiest to remember is probably take the city tour that drops you at the airport, store your bags at Ken's, and hop the 174 for the short ride to the Museum of Flight (and then reverse course for the trip back), if that is at all interesting to you.

I have been vewwy vewwy bad (or is it just vewwy vewwwy quiet, Elmer?) for the past couple of months. I have a blog about all things Seattle that I made a promise to myself would be updated daily. Instead, I have been kind of busy babysitting my ginormous thread about the PVSA over on Ask A Cruise Question, and making sure that any new updates get posted there timely.

Since I am answering so many questions for my "friends and neighbors" here on CC, I thought maybe you could help me out with my neglected task.

If you have any kind of question about Seattle, ask it, and I will do a post to my blog, then summarize it here for your enjoyment/edification.

Ask me pretty much anything, and I will answer. If I don't KNOW the answer, I will find out (I am pretty resourceful, after all). Such as:

Weather (yes, it rains every day, 10 inches......NOT)

Hotels

Restaurants

Tourist Attractions

Parking

Driving Directions

Cruise Terminals and Facilities

Ferries

Taxis

Buses

Train

Street Cars/Light Rail

Quality of Life

Festivals

And so on and so on and so on.....

Ask away.

(NOTE TO MODERATORS: My Seattle blog is informative only, and does not make any commercial advertising).

Thanks for your help! I have several questions??

1. Good places to eat downtown (pike place market)area and places that locals go , but not too much $$ (causual )

2. Will it be easy to use the bus from the SeaTac airport area to go downtown. We will have a half day on Wed/ and all day Thursday. Taxi for 4 round trips is more than i want to pay. We will be staying at the Doubletree by the airport . Are there other options that are good?

3. What do you recommend to do and see downtown. Tours or on our own? Two years ago we took a tour of Seattle, It was a great tour, but would like to see downtown area this trip.

Thanks again,

Diane (howell) from Arkansas

our trip will be in June 24-26 (pre-cruise in seattle) and one day post cruise July 7th in seattle:):):):D

Thanks Karen for all your great information. I have read the first and last 10 pages for this thread and several others that you have answered. I would like to run my plans by you please. My DH and I will be flying in on Friday June 12th at 11:55PM, which is 2:55am our time so I have a reservation at the SeaTac Redroof Inn for $75, because of the shuttle from airport. We plan to sightsee in Seattle the next day, this is my DH's first visit so for ease of leaving luggage in one place, have reservation at same place again. My concern is getting to Amtrak on Sunday morning. It looks like in my reading that I could call an hour ahead and get the downtown airporter connector service in time or would it be better to take a cab for the 2 of us? Thanks again for your help.

Thank you for your willingness to share information about Seattle.

I have a few questions:

1. Good places to eat near Pike Place Market- Not too much $$- casual - places locals like to eat at

2. We will be staying at the Doubletree by the airport for 2 days pre cruise and 1 day post cruise. Is the bus the best way to get to the downtown area? From what you have already said about $30.00 for cabs fare, 4 or 5 round trips will get costly. We want to go downtown and stay the day. Do you have other suggestions.

3. Where and what do you suggest we see and do. Tours or sightsee on our own. I saw an add about the doubledeck buses and thought that might be a good place to start.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

We will be in Seattle the end of June and second of week of July

Thank You.

Diane (howell) from arkansas

Thanks Karen for all your great information. I have read the first and last 10 pages for this thread and several others that you have answered. I would like to run my plans by you please. My DH and I will be flying in on Friday June 12th at 11:55PM, which is 2:55am our time so I have a reservation at the SeaTac Redroof Inn for $75, because of the shuttle from airport. We plan to sightsee in Seattle the next day, this is my DH's first visit so for ease of leaving luggage in one place, have reservation at same place again. My concern is getting to Amtrak on Sunday morning. It looks like in my reading that I could call an hour ahead and get the downtown airporter connector service in time or would it be better to take a cab for the 2 of us? Thanks again for your help.

First, the Connector. You have to take the Grayline Airporter downtown, THEN call the connector one hour in advance. You need to be at King St Station shortly after 6, and the first bus does not leave the airport until fivish. Therefore, you are pretty much going to need to take a taxi, and need to call them earlyish, as well.

Thank you for your willingness to share information about Seattle.

I have a few questions:

1. Good places to eat near Pike Place Market- Not too much $$- casual - places locals like to eat at

2. We will be staying at the Doubletree by the airport for 2 days pre cruise and 1 day post cruise. Is the bus the best way to get to the downtown area? From what you have already said about $30.00 for cabs fare, 4 or 5 round trips will get costly. We want to go downtown and stay the day. Do you have other suggestions.

3. Where and what do you suggest we see and do. Tours or sightsee on our own. I saw an add about the doubledeck buses and thought that might be a good place to start.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

We will be in Seattle the end of June and second of week of July

Thank You.

Diane (howell) from arkansas

Both the 174 and the 194 buses stop right in front of the Doubletree and both will take you to downtown Seattle 7 days a week. The 194 is the express, the 174 is the milk run local (and the one that goes to the Museum of Flight if you are interested). You're right, the HoHo bus is a good place to start and I think passes are good for two days.

What do you like to eat?

The Space Needle if it interests you (I'm not impressed), the Duck Tour, the Underground Tour, Pike Place Market, the Museum of Flight, the Olympic Sculpture Park are just a few recommendations.

Archived