Summit 12/6 - through or near the canal?

lentronic

On the Summit 12/6 to the western/southern caribbean, we dock in Colon from 7am to 5pm. Since this will be my first cruise and my first visit to the area, I am confused as to whether the ship actually goes through canal or locks. Will the ship go near enough to see "cool stuff" or should I book a shore excursion?

If so, would the Gatun Lake Kayak & Eco Adventure on Celebrity's web site be enough to get a good look at the canal? The last hour is spent at an observation deck by the Gatun locks.

thanks,

len

Len,

The Summit will not be going through the locks but dock at port Colon. It sounds like the excursion would give you plenty of time to see a ship go through the locks from the observation point. We took a cruise through the locks a couple years ago and it is an awsome expierence.

I see you are from Chicago, which airport are you flying out of and when. My DH and I are on your cruise too. We live in South Bend and fly out of Midway on Dec 6th.Are you signed up for cruise critic party yet? There is also a thread for Dec 6th started on roll call connections.

Cindy

Hi Cindy,

We haven't gotten airfare yet - it's getting about time to do that soon! Only about 12 weeks to go!! :) I also haven't signed up for the party but will do that soon too...

So you are flying out the morning of? What time are you getting in to FLL? I haven't yet found any flights early enough in the morning, and reading some of the postings on this board has made me nervous about flying in the night before.

Archived