Holy Week on Gem - any other Catholics?

momtothree

We are sailing on the Gem March 15th - 23rd which is Holy Week. Just wondering if there are any other Catholics sailing and if there may by chance be a Priest on board? From what I have read, probably no Priest will be available. At least we'll be home my Easter Sunday. We sailed on Disney Magic over Christmas a few years ago and they did have a priest to say Mass on Christmas day - to a full house! It was wonderful. :)

We will be sailing on the GEM 3/22 and will be at sea on Easter Sunday. My family (7 of us) have been praying that there will be a priest on board. I did ask NCL a few months ago and they didn't know yet at that time.

If anyone finds out for sure, I would really like to know.

This is just a suggestion as I'm not sure that priest's can cruise during Holy Week. Unless they bring a priest on-board for Easter Sunday?

We have visited many churches at port and have even attended Mass at port. Once on a beach.

If you check your port days, you can do a search on the churches at that port...it is a lovely experience:)

If there is a priest on the GEM during holy week, he'll probably find it quite 'decadent'. There's a reason they call one of the bars the BLISS LOUNGE!!!

On a recent GEM cruise, there were no Christian services. But there were Sabbath services for the Jewish community -- but I believe it was either self-organized or a Rabbi happened to be on the cruise.

In any event, Sunday was a 'port' day and there was a church not far from the dock.

Hi there

I checked my Dailies from last Easter on the Dawn. This is what I found:

Good Friday they had a Catholic Mass in the Cinema at 9 am

Easter Sunday Catholic Service in the Stardust Theatre at 7 am

It does not specify if it would be a priest doing the services. Since you will arriving back to NY on Easter I don't know if they would have a service.

Is there no service for Protestants?

I am trying to get on the 3/15 sailing of the Gem. If I do, and if no ordained person(s) makes themselves available to lead services, I am willing to lead services on Maundy Thursday and Good Friday. (Easter Vigil is not a deep part of the Protestant tradition, so I doubt we would do that.) While I am formally trained as a minister I am not yet ordained, so these services would not be communion services. (Good Friday usually isn't a communion service, anyway.)

Archived