Majesty 2/16/08-2/23/08

heelfan94

Gee, I'm sorry I wasn't a few days earlier on this thread because I know how it is losing interest about a week after getting home from a cruise.... Ah, well, if mooseII or anyone else can tell me, I'd appreciate knowing: Is the parking at 1 Cumberland Street the same as 360 Concord Street? When I looked up Republic parking in Charleston, they showed half a dozen locations, but none on Cumberland Street. 360 Concord looks like it may be the same location....? If anyone who has used that parking can tell me, is it really close enough to walk with luggage to the terminal and luggage drop off point?

Still thankful and hopeful,

UNCle Don

P.S. I did manage to access the photos one time, heelfan94. Thanks.

Gee, I'm sorry I wasn't a few days earlier on this thread because I know how it is losing interest about a week after getting home from a cruise.... Ah, well, if mooseII or anyone else can tell me, I'd appreciate knowing: Is the parking at 1 Cumberland Street the same as 360 Concord Street? When I looked up Republic parking in Charleston, they showed half a dozen locations, but none on Cumberland Street. 360 Concord looks like it may be the same location....? If anyone who has used that parking can tell me, is it really close enough to walk with luggage to the terminal and luggage drop off point?

UNCle Don

Check Post #11 on this thread if you didn't already find it.:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=721318&highlight=parking+charleston

UNCle Don

Parked in this garage, was very pleased with it. It is close to the terminal. We did a drop off, unloading our luggage near the tent area where we could pick up a shuttle to the terminal (no other way of doing it, apparently). My wife stayed with the luggage, I parked the car and walked the short distance back. Upon disembarkation, we walked directly out to the street from the terminal, bypassing the long, slow shuttle line. My wife stayed with the luggage again as I got the car. We were basically across the street from the garage at that point. We didn't HAVE to do the drop off in either case, the garage to terminal distance is an easy walk. If your luggage is on wheels it would be most do-able unless you have physical difficulties with walking.

As far as streets are concerned, Cumberland T's with Concord, but the garage is on the corner of the 2 streets, essentially right at the terminal.

Many thanks, Stilmo, for the additional information. I'm still a little confused. If the drop off tent for luggage is an easy walk from the terminal, then why is there a shuttle? And must checked luggage be dropped off at the tent or could you have taken it directly to the terminal and checked it there? If the parking you used is essentially across the street from the terminal (or within a block or two), then does your "no other way of doing it, apparently" mean that cruisers are REQUIRED to drop off checked luggage at a tent some distance from both the terminal and the Republic Parking garage?

Sorry to be so dense, but I do appreciate your input.

Cheers,

UNCle Don

I believe you have to drop your luggage at the tent. That is their collection point and it's only carry on bags in the terminal. It's a really weird set up but once you get there it will make sense. Or not. ;)

I believe you have to drop your luggage at the tent. That is their collection point and it's only carry on bags in the terminal. It's a really weird set up but once you get there it will make sense. Or not. ;)

Didn't make any sense at all to me. At the luggage tent, there was a locked gate that closed off a road that led directly up to the terminal just a VERY short distance away. Yet, we had to wait for a shuttle to take us around, in another entrance and up to the terminal, a ride that was at least 5 times longer than the walk would have been. No idea why. Seemed useless and senseless. We could have easily carried all our luggage on board if we were permitted walking access to the terminal. As it was, using the Cumberland garage avoided the porters and the requisite tip.

The best was the disembarkation as we did avoid the shuttle and that long line and walked directly out to the street.

Thanks to both heelfan94 and Stilmo for the extra explanation. After all, it's when the requirements don't make any sense at all that explanations from those who have experienced it are most helpful.

Cheers/Go Heels - Beat dook,

UNCle Don

My DW and I were also on this cruise (hi everyone form the Meet and Greet!) and we parked right across the street in the Republic Parking lot at 1 Cumberland St, which is literally .07 miles from the terminal, (no, I didn't misplace the decimal point) easily within walking distance. The cost was $12 a day, with NO hassle ($84 for the week.) It is a 5 story parking garage, and I can't believe anyone would pay the $110 to park even farther away, outdoors after waiting an hour or more. There is no sign that says Republic, but the ticket does when you enter. EVERYONE should be parking here, we literally walked on and off the ship to our car.

Bad news on the Cumberland ST. parking garage. The city of Charleston is raising their parking garages rates. As of April 1st 2008 the daily rate will increase from $12 per day to $20 per day. This was in the Charleston Post and Courier newspaper a couple of days ago. It still may be a good deal if the warehouse is filled with BMW's

Peteyboy

You mentioned in your review that you were brought a refrigerator. I cannot remember if we had one last time or not. Do you have to request one. We are in a category F.

thank you for your review.

Our wonderful Lorna brought the refrigerator without being asked (to keep champagne chilled). We did have the tiniest cabin so I imagine you can ask for one.

I will see if we actually get one in that 108 sq ft miracle. The agent asked me AFTER he had booked it, "it was for medical reasons, wasn't it?" I hesitated and said, "not really." So I don't know if he canceled the request after I said that. ha

On Veendam we requested one and got it. I thought it was going to be $2 a day but there was no charge.

I'm wondering where it will fit in Majesty 715! ha

I will see if we actually get one in that 108 sq ft miracle. The agent asked me AFTER he had booked it, "it was for medical reasons, wasn't it?" I hesitated and said, "not really." So I don't know if he canceled the request after I said that. ha

On Veendam we requested one and got it. I thought it was going to be $2 a day but there was no charge.

I'm wondering where it will fit in Majesty 715! ha

If you don't want to sit at the desk it will fit where the chair goes, then you'll have to ditch the chair.:D

• 3 weeks later...

Archived