Need toy ideas to bring for 1 yr old

sunrise&set

My DS will be 13 months when we cruise next month. I have read through this forum and love all the advice and ideas for a great trip. One thing many have mentioned for the plane ride and cruise is to bring new small toys to occupy their time on the plane, dining room etc. Problem is I can't seem to find anything in particular - it's either too young for him, he's too young for the toy or it's too noisy. Any suggestions??? Thanks so much!

At that age anything is a toy ;)

What does he like to play with now?

Things like this would be good and it can double as a toy for the inflatable pool

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2864737

Or something like this

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2298831

Or this

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2863491

And this...lol (you get my point)

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2299156

He loves to play catch more than anything else and that's not possible on the plane LOL! I saw that toolbelt today - that's nice, and I have that last one already for the car. I found some cute toddler Tonka cars and a couple of other things that can be used in the pool (inflatable pool that is). Thanks so much for the suggestions!

He loves to play catch more than anything else and that's not possible on the plane LOL! I saw that toolbelt today - that's nice, and I have that last one already for the car. I found some cute toddler Tonka cars and a couple of other things that can be used in the pool (inflatable pool that is). Thanks so much for the suggestions!

When my kids were that age it was more trying to redirect their attention than anything else. I remember turning the pages in the plane's magazines looking for puppies in the pictures. :)

The trucks sound like a great idea.

When I sailed with my 15 mo DD, I brought several new board books to bring to the dining room. The more colorful and interactive (flaps, textures, etc) the better! Since they were new they kept her really engaged. NCL provided crayons and kiddie menus to color on which my kids enjoyed. When all else fails, a small pack of raisins, teddy grahams, or puffs usually does the trick, especially while waiting for dinner to arrive in the DR. Good luck planning:)

Its been awhile since my boys were that age. 6 and 8 now and almost birthday time again.

But we fly from Dallas to Honolulu, Honolulu to MN and back (twice), Honolulu to LA, CA and then TX to MN and back. So we have a lot of flying time. They are generally great flyers but not always.

One thing if you can let him out to walk a bit, trips to the bathroom and back, whatever just to stretch if its a long flight. Bring a sippy cup for his juice if he is off the bottle, less chance of a spill.

If you can keep him from eating them matchbox type cars are good.

Snacks are fun esp teddy grahams, cheese its, cheerios, goldfish, anything like that. Those 100 calorie packs are fun now. Color crayons, pencils, pens anything that writes and paper, lots of paper. Looking through the magazines, there is usually a gift catalog with toys and things in those are fun.

A mirror was always fun. We had a small one with a stuffed cloth frame that was meant to be in the crib, that travelled nicely.

Gotta make supper but if I think of anything else I will be back.

Kari

Thanks everyone! I have bought several small items and plan to let him try crayons and paper and see how that goes. I plan to pack lots of different small snacks for him - he likes to eat! It's a 3 - 3 1/2 hr flight. Hopefully there won't be any delays to prolong that time. He is off the bottle so I have plenty of sippy cups and will make sure he's thirsty at take off and landing. His sister and her friend will be going too, and let's just say that his sister is his favorite person - so she'll entertain him too! I'm really hoping he'll take a good nap during the flight.

And thank you Karysa! I think he's pretty adorable myself LOL. And he is always as happy as in those pictures!

We are traveling with a child under two this summer and one of the best ideas I received was a small inflatable pool. Most cruise lines do not let babies in diapers into pools. They will let you use a small inflatable on the kids deck or your balcony if you have one. My niece also loves weebles and taggies blankets. She loves anything that she can stack. The taggies are nice and quiet and you can get them in stuffed animals or blankets which is nice cause they are perfect to put over them on the plane as well. I think the web site is taggies.com

Archived