Car Rental Questions - Pride of Aloha

AnnWatson

We're departing on the 10-day Pride of Aloha cruise in a few weeks. I have questions regarding the rentals I've reserved on Maui, Kauai, and Hilo. How long did it take from ship to driving off (how long before you saw a shuttle, were driven to the A/P, checked out car, etc.)? Are 4WDs necessary? They're so much more expensive and in some ports, even if you reserve an SUV, 4WD isn't guaranteed. Also, if we keep the car overnight on Maui and Kauai, is there a safe place to park it near the pier? We thought we'd use TheBus on Oahu; comments on that, please? Thanks much!

We found the rental process to be quick and easy....

In Hilo we rented from Harpers to guarantee a 4WD vehicle in case we decided to drive on the Saddle road, but we spent the whole day at VNP and would have been fine in an ordinary vehicle as well. We were on the road in less than 15 minutes after walking off the ship.

In Kahului Maui we rented from thrifty (we joined Blue Chip) and our car and contract were ready for us...we were on the road in less than 10 minutes. There is a limited amount of parking across the street from the dock and also a very short distance away along the sea wall, but these spots are largely gone by 6pm. If you plan to stay out late, and don't need your car very early the next morning, you might be better off with 2 separate one day rentals (thrifty started shuttles from the ship about 7am the second day in maui).

In Kauai we used Hertz, as we had heard about delays with thrifty. We are gold club members, and were on the road in less than 10 minutes after leaving the ship. There is a small shopping center about one block from the dock (the Aloha Marketplace, I think) where you can purchase an overnight parking pass for $10. Make sure you do this right away, as there are only a limited number of spaces available.

We did not rent in Kona, but if you do, you should use thrifty or dollar and pick up the car at the King Kam hotel by the tender dock.

We used Thrifty in Honolulu, and had excellent service...again, on the road within 15 minutes after picking up our luggage at the airport, and they were able to shuttle us to the pier after dropping off our car before the cruise.

There are some things that require a four wheel drive vehicle (or it is recommended) including a ride on the saddle road and a climb of Mauna loa. However, for 99% of what you will do a regular vehicle is fine.

On Maui parking can be a problem and the recommendation to do 2 separate days is a good one. On Kauai there is a business just up from the pier that sells parking passes for $10. I would recommend picking up your car and then heading back to pick up your parking pass so you know you have one.

As for rental, we used Thrifty in all ports and had a great experience and quick service. Be sure to sign up for the VIP or Blue CHip or gold member or whatever your rental company offers to try and speed the process. Thrifty's blue chip service worked good for us. Also in Kona, like said above, be sure to use Thrifty or Dollar and rent from the King Kam hotel so you are not shuttled 20 minutes away to the airport. The hotel is right at the end of the pier.

We found the rental process to be quick and easy....

In Kahului Maui we rented from thrifty (we joined Blue Chip) and our car and contract were ready for us...

In Kauai we used Hertz, as we had heard about delays with thrifty. We are gold club members, and were on the road in less than 10 minutes after leaving the ship. There is a small shopping center about one block from the dock (the Aloha Marketplace, I think) where you can purchase an overnight parking pass for $10. Make sure you do this right away, as there are only a limited number of spaces available.

I am having troubles finding Cruise Ship Terminal rental info for Kahului and Kauai. Can you please point me to the code used by the standard online info or let me know how you found the rental? Thanks in advance.

I am having troubles finding Cruise Ship Terminal rental info for Kahului and Kauai. Can you please point me to the code used by the standard online info or let me know how you found the rental? Thanks in advance.

We just used the airport codes when we rented (ogg for maui, lih for kauai)...the shuttles (we used thrifty in maui and hertz in kauai) were there waiting when we docked.

Getting ready to rent cars on Maui and Kona. Wondering if we do the 2 one-day rentals on Maui, how late can we drop the car off at the airport on the first night and still get a shuttle back to the pier?

Thanks for any help!

This sucks. :( Did you try to bring fresh island fruit on board?

Joy

Sorry, but it's not allowed. For reasons passing understanding, none of the Pride of ships have ever allowed pax to bring fresh food onboard. I mean, sure when the PoAl is alternating Fanning Island itineraries, the ship is not Hawaii-only and pax are not allowed to bring fresh food off of or onto the ship, just like all ships that do not cruise exclusively in Hawaii. But why the state Dept of Ag allows fresh food to be brought off the Pride of Hawaii-only ships, but not back on is a mystery.

Although we were allowed to bring all fresh food off the PoH (which only did the Hawaii-only itineraries), we still had to toss any leftovers before reboarding. I know some members have reported lax reboarding procedures, but on our particular cruise, they were checking (x-ray and/or hand check) every bag and package when reboarding at all ports.

However, on PoH (our only NCLA experience) there was fresh cut Hawaiian pineapple at all times in the buffet. I'm talking trays of it with a crew member constantly cutting more and replenishing. There were also plenty of whole island fruits, such as papayas, and mangos, as well as some lilikoi (that's passionfruit to us mainlanders) and the occassional carambola (that's starfruit to most of us). They had strawberry papaya only one day--Yum!--but it was gone in a flash (the word must be out about how good they are).

Also, the upcountry regions, especially Maui and the BI, have wide-ranging fruit and vegetable offerings. Maui upcountry strawberries rival some of the varieties we have here on CA's central coast (prime strawbery country); Maui Kula greens are delicious; Maui onions are, well, Maui onions and can't be beat. I'm pretty sure that the pineapple they were serving onboard was one of the Dole Gold varieties. It was not Maui Gold, which are utter treasures, but not as widely known and don't travel as well, but it was as good as most non-Maui Gold pineapple we've had throughout the islands. I'd hate to think that they're not serving "good stuff" these days. What's a trip to Hawaii without really wonderful tropical produce?

BTW, if you like yogurt and get a chance, try Meadow Gold, which is made in Hawaii. The Meadow Gold dairy products are as good as Tine and other Scandinavian brands. (I guess that's only meaningful to those who've been to Scandinavia; suffice it to say that those Scandinavians know their dairy.)

A few other random thoughts and notes about food:

Currently, only PoAm pax are allowed to take fresh food off the ship. When the PoAl goes back to Hawaii-only 7-night cruises, pax will likely be allowed to bring fresh food off the ship again. (Not that it matters much considering that the PoAl will be leaving the islands soon.) This is specific to the Pride ships doing that itinerary and is not a cruise line rule, but rather a Hawaii Dept of Ag regulation/law. If you do take fresh food off the ship, be aware that the crew have been instructed not to help in any way. There are several reasons: Taking time from work for onboard food prep (if, for example, room service is asked to pack 600 picnic lunches); the cruise line feels that ship food is primarily to be eaten on the ship; and (not least) the fact that pax often take fresh food off the ship, do not store it properly, eat it anyway, get sick, and blame the cruise line.

So, if you cruise on the PoAm and are allowed to take fresh food off the ship, bring a collapsible or other cooler, ziplocs, and (our fave) cheapie "disposable" containers, which are great for holding ice (much better and drier than baggies), chips (no squishing into tiny crumbs), fresh fruit and salads (for obvious reasons), and any number of food items you don't want to get all squashed. Pack plenty of ice (ask your steward or go to the buffet and use the "clean" ice dispenser; eat the food in a reasonable amount of time; and don't expect or ask for crew help. We only took picnics 2 days, Hilo and Kauai, for convenience and the fact that there are about a million (well, maybe not quite that many) places to stop and have a breathtakingly beautiful view while picnicking. We visit often, so felt no need to "eat local" on those days--We already have favorite local places to eat.

If you've never had it, try POG. That's passion-orange-guava juice. You want the real juice, not the sugar-water-with-a-touch-of-juice stuff.

Hm, I guess I've gone OT quite enough for now. In any case, I hope that there is plenty of fresh island fruit onboard for you. We never had any trouble finding it onboard. (Do be aware that the papayas and mangos in the buffet are usually whole; be prepared to forge ahead.)

Bon Appetit!:D

beachchick

I have heard a few second hand reports of car break-ins at beaches and other tourist destinations....rental cars are a natural target because of the liklihood of cameras and purses being stored in the trunk. We elected to carry our belongings with us in waterproof backpacks /fanny bags (available at cabela's, or http://www.thewaterproofstore.com as well as other places)

Archived