What the Heck is a Chonch Fritter?

keenie803

Conch is a rather large shelled mollusk. Essentially it's a mix of several several items and spices in a ball, fried. The main ingredient being conch itself. Sort of a mollusk version of the chicken nugget, albeit a heck of a lot more natural and healthier (where the heck is the nugget on a chicken. I know they have legs, wings, breasts, necks, backs, lips even a comb... but where the heck is the nugget? Maybe I don't want to know.)

It's Conch ("Konk" or "Koncha" in spanish). It's a hushpuppy with seafood in it. Tasty. Dip them in key lime mayo hot n spicy sauce or sweet n sour sauce. Eat them very hot. Most places use Triton Seafood Conch Fritter dip from Miami....BO's does not and the place outside the KW Aquarium dioes not, They're $3-4 bucks.....just try some.

I tried one last year on our cruise excursion. It was awlful. I threw it in the bushes. I guess I'm not into that type of seafood. I love lobster and shrimp. But did not like that. Alot of people love them. You might want to try it too.

Conch has a very tough texture and can be awful if not prepared properly. Conch that has been soaked for awhile in milk, which breaks down the proteins (chewiness), is very tender and flavorful. Personally, it's one of my favorite snacks or appetizers here and there are many places where it's very good.:D

Conch has a very tough texture and can be awful if not prepared properly. Conch that has been soaked for awhile in milk, which breaks down the proteins (chewiness), is very tender and flavorful. Personally, it's one of my favorite snacks or appetizers here and there are many places where it's very good.:D

You can also beat the bloody hell out of it with a meat tenderizer, that breaks it up pretty good too.

I'm spoiled by the fritters at Alabama Jack's, so all the ones I've ever gotten in Key West are mediocre in comparison. Yeah, even BO's.

• 3 weeks later...

Patrice1, so are you going to keep the places where they are good a secret? :)

Patrice1, so are you going to keep the places where they are good a secret? :)

Couldn't if I tried! In no particular order:

BO's Fish Wagon

Half Shell Raw Bar

Schooner Wharf

Conch Republic Seafood

Turtle Kraals

the stand at Mallory Square near the Aquarium

Hurriane Hole Marina on Stock Island

Hogfish on Stock Island

Two Friends Patio

(these are only the restaurants we've tried:) )

Actually, the best ones are in Marathon at the Cracked Conch or Keys Fisheries, but there's no way or time to get there when on an excursion for a day.

My motto - try everything & have fun!

Archived