Valor - where to go and what to do on our own in port?

Avril

My fiancee and I are sailing on the Valor's Eastern Caribbean itinerary in October :D and to save money (we hope), we're planning on not doing any shore excursions (not Carnival or independant - none). I was just wondering, what do you suggest we do on our own in Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Maarten (as well as Miami since we're flying down the day before the cruise)? We like beaches, shopping, exploring the towns we're in and hanging out at places like Margaritaville (sp) and Sr. Frogs.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!! :D

Nassau - your first stop. YOu do not have very long in port. So on your own least expensive - would be to check out the town a little bit and then Senior Frogs is right by the dock. That would be a fun way to spend the last hour and a half.

I would say in St. Thomas and St. Martin - go shopping and then take a taxi to a beach. Take a gander at the Ports of Call board and look up the ports - this will give you an idea too.

Nassau - your first stop. YOu do not have very long in port. So on your own least expensive - would be to check out the town a little bit and then Senior Frogs is right by the dock. That would be a fun way to spend the last hour and a half.

I would say in St. Thomas and St. Martin - go shopping and then take a taxi to a beach. Take a gander at the Ports of Call board and look up the ports - this will give you an idea too.

Thanks!! :D Would there be time to go to Atlantis in Nassau? I think that would be neat to see and have a look around. Also, how much would it cost for a taxi to the beach in St. Thomas and St. Maarten? I think I will have a look at the ports of call board as well. :)

Hi,

We will also be on the Valor, but in April, and are going to the same places. This is our 2nd cruise w/Carnival and we are doing things on our own this time as the shore excursions thru Carnival can be a little pricey!

In Nassau, we are going to catch the #10 Jittney to Cable Beach and get a day pass at the Wyndam and Sheraton Hotels...it is $15 p.p. and you can use the pool facilities and beaches at both hotels.

In St. Thomas we're going to catch a cab over to Coki Beach and spend some time there and at the adjacent Coral World marine park (the snorkeling at Coki Beach is supposed to be amazing if you're into that) and then we'll catch a cab back to the port area where there is lots of shopping to be done!

In St. Maarten, we're going to rent a car and drive around ourselves. I checked into some group tours that were highly rated here at Cruise Critic but at $30 p.p. (which is a good price if you're a smaller party...we are a family of 8) it was much cheaper to rent our own car. I've heard that it's pretty easy to drive around the island as long as you're aware of the traffic problems in the afternoon and leave plenty of time to get back to the ship! We're planning to go to Orient Beach for awhile and then Maho Beach in the afternoon to see the planes landing at the airport...if you haven't seen it, check out the videos of this on YouTube...so cool!!

Anyway, whatever you decide to do, have a great time!!

Archived