Winter Break: What you need to know...

El-Bac

Hello all,

I just got off the Majesty yesterday. During this cruise I learned of something VERY important to February cruises from the East Coast: New York Schools observe something called "winter break" which is a week off from school the week that included Presidents' Day. From what I understand, historically it was created to create a week in the coldest part of the winter that they would not have to heat the school buildings. Today, it's simply tradition.

What does this mean to you: Well, on the Majesty this past week (keep in mind Charleston is an easy drive from NYC) instead of the usual 1200 passengers, there were 1600... That’s right, there were that many kids. Keep this in mind before scheduling your February cruise out of Charleston next year.

ALSO, I would recommend you find out when Spring Break is form Charleston schools before booking in the Spring for Charleston cruises. Many of the locals like to take a cruise on the Majesty when the schools are out. I learned this during my cruise Christmas week 2004.

Hello all,

I just got off the Majesty yesterday. During this cruise I learned of something VERY important to February cruises from the East Coast: New York Schools observe something called "winter break" which is a week off from school the week that included Presidents' Day. From what I understand, historically it was created to create a week in the coldest part of the winter that they would not have to heat the school buildings. Today, it's simply tradition.

What does this mean to you: Well, on the Majesty this past week (keep in mind Charleston is an easy drive from NYC) instead of the usual 1200 passengers, there were 1600... That’s right, there were that many kids. Keep this in mind before scheduling your February cruise out of Charleston next year.

ALSO, I would recommend you find out when Spring Break is form Charleston schools before booking in the Spring for Charleston cruises. Many of the locals like to take a cruise on the Majesty when the schools are out. I learned this during my cruise Christmas week 2004.

South Carolina schools generally schedule "Spring Break" around Easter. Usually the week before, sometimes the week after.

I am from NY and I just wanted to correct the OP. Winter break is a fairly new thing. They took a week from Easter Break and put it here. We are all very confused about it. I don't know who said anything about heating schools...but this week is just as cold as most weeks in January all the way through March.

Growing up in Massachusetts, we always had a week off in February and a week off in April. It may be new in New York, but it's been routine in other parts of New England for more years than I care to admit.

JenDalessan - I love your 2008 cruise plans. Don't let him say "No"!

I am from NY and I just wanted to correct the OP. Winter break is a fairly new thing. They took a week from Easter Break and put it here. We are all very confused about it. I don't know who said anything about heating schools...but this week is just as cold as most weeks in January all the way through March.

From NJ (NY Metro area), we have always (long as I remember) had this week off as well as Easter break. I think it started in our local HS back in the gas "rationing" days in the 70's, and yes, it was a way of supposedly saving energy. Most schools here are closed either the week before or during President's Day (ours was the week before this year). Only a few HS (one of my daughter's included) are not closed; they take breaks during the Jewish holidays instead, long weekends throughout autumn. It was always difficult as my daughters were in schools with different breaks, made travel difficult until the elder graduated.... Now she hardly ever gets a break :D. BTW, I would NEVER consider Charleston an "easy drive" from NYC! It takes at about 12-15 hours IIRC.

Robin

Archived