Coral Princess D726

goingeasy

I just booked this cabin for a Panama Canal Cruise. I chose this hoping to

have some sort of aft view. But, I just saw some pictures of the ship and

it looks like there is a metal contraption on aft Dolphin deck right next to our cabin.

Any info will be appreciated. I originally said I did not want an upgrade if

one became available - now I don't know if I've made the right choice or

not.

Thanks in advance.

I have this cabin booked for April 2009 for Panama also. If you Google for Island Princess D726 (which is the same cabin location) one of the sites (Cruise Mates) will pop up where someone posted pics of the cabin including the view off the balcony...

From what I can see it is a PARTIAL obstruction...you can see fine to port and pretty good aft, but this blocks you from seeing "around the corner" aft....since it sticks out from the aft of the ship a bit...It is a window washing unit, I believe. If it would bother you to have part of your aft view blocked then it might be a problem, however it seems like you'd STILL get more of a view than other cabins have. The cabin above it, on Caribe deck, wouldn't have that problem but it costs more.

We will probably stick with this cabin...we're waitlisted for suites but since there are so few suites onboard I really doubt we'll get one...however, we are happy with our choice otherwise and won't be switching unless that elusive suite comes up.

note that these "end" cabins on dolphin and caribe do have uncovered balconies, if that is an issue for you one way or the other. The panoramic view should be very nice, and you are only steps away from the public aft viewing deck (anyone on the public deck can easily look into the balcony of D726, but there is rarely anyone on this deck).

I should add that we almost booked this cabin for our Panama Canal cruise on the coral, but decided to upgrade to a suite instead.

Can someone help me, please

I need to book a Panama cruise for a group of friends next Feb. and we all like the Princess ships because of Share the wealth; referral rewarsd etc. however; is this a good itineray since you are not allowed to get off the Princess ships unless you are taking an excursion through them to see the locks. Will my group be pleased with this?

I guess what I'm asking: why did you choose this ship and itinerary to do the Panama? Thanks for any help or threads you can give me.

If you go to the Panama Canal boards, a CCer has posted Coral Princess Panama Canal pics from December......H2so4, I think is their name.....

Anyway, if you go through those pics, you will see a few pics which show the D725/D726 cabins and their proximity to the window washers.......Doesn't look like such an awful "obstruction" to me......:)

Can someone help me, please

I need to book a Panama cruise for a group of friends next Feb. and we all like the Princess ships because of Share the wealth; referral rewarsd etc. however; is this a good itineray since you are not allowed to get off the Princess ships unless you are taking an excursion through them to see the locks. Will my group be pleased with this?

I guess what I'm asking: why did you choose this ship and itinerary to do the Panama? Thanks for any help or threads you can give me.

The Coral Princess is our favorite all around cruise ship, and is a great choice for a partial (or full) panama canal transit. We did not have time for a full transit, and liked the 10 day round trip FLL itinerary.

If I am not mistaken, all partial canal transits are the same (whether princess or HAL or RCCL)...everyone remains on the ship as it passes through the Gatun locks into Gatun lake. Once in Gatun lake, those PAX on shore excursions booked through the cruiseline are tendered ashore, and the remaining pax stay on board as the ship passes back out through the gatun locks to the cristobal pier. Once at the cristobal pier all Pax are able to disembark and are free to take a private excursion (albiet a short one) if they so choose.

Some ships (Carnival, for example) do not enter the canal at all unless they are doing a full transit. These ships remain docked at cristobal pier in colon, and the only way to see any of the canal is to take an excursion (either private or through the cruiseline). On the coral princess you will see the Gatun locks regardless of whether you sign up for an excursion. If you want to see the rest of the canal you need to take either the train ride along the canal or the ferry ride through the rest of the canal and into the pacific (we did this, and it was fantastic).

Hope this helps, but you should also refer to the panama canal board and the princess board for more information. The Island princess (the twin of the coral) presently has a 10 day full transit itinerary, but I am not sure what the plans are for '09.

The Coral Princess is our favorite all around cruise ship, and is a great choice for a partial (or full) panama canal transit. We did not have time for a full transit, and liked the 10 day round trip FLL itinerary.

If I am not mistaken, all partial canal transits are the same (whether princess or HAL or RCCL)...everyone remains on the ship as it passes through the Gatun locks into Gatun lake. Once in Gatun lake, those PAX on shore excursions booked through the cruiseline are tendered ashore, and the remaining pax stay on board as the ship passes back out through the gatun locks to the cristobal pier. Once at the cristobal pier all Pax are able to disembark and are free to take a private excursion (albiet a short one) if they so choose.

Some ships (Carnival, for example) do not enter the canal at all unless they are doing a full transit. These ships remain docked at cristobal pier in colon, and the only way to see any of the canal is to take an excursion (either private or through the cruiseline). On the coral princess you will see the Gatun locks regardless of whether you sign up for an excursion. If you want to see the rest of the canal you need to take either the train ride along the canal or the ferry ride through the rest of the canal and into the pacific (we did this, and it was fantastic).

Hope this helps, but you should also refer to the panama canal board and the princess board for more information. The Island princess (the twin of the coral) presently has a 10 day full transit itinerary, but I am not sure what the plans are for '09.

Thanks for sharing your excellent knowledge; very helpful

Archived