Anyone JUST off Mariner Eastern (2/17 sailing)?

I was on, and am still on...B2B. I'll post a detailed review of both weeks when I get back. Here's the hilites:

MAJOR collision avoided- 8 degree list forces me out of bed. Medical evacuation causes stop in Nassau...details when I get back

I can elaborate a little-hope to have a full review up within a few days, but here's the scoop...

Leaving San Juan on Tuesday night, we were about an hour out of port and almost when we felt a LOT of vibration. We were in an aft balcony and were last year also, so we're used to some vibration, but this was enough to make us wonder out loud to each other what was happening. Right as we were talking, we listed HARD to starboard, and the crew on their deck (5?) who were out having a party started to yell. We ran outside to see what was happening, and probably about 20 meters off the back starboard "corner" of the ship was a small sailboat, probably about 15-20 feet, without the proper navigation lights. The wake behind us was in an "S" shape. According to Captain Per's announcement later, they are required to have a lookout on the bridge, despite all the high tech equipment available to them. There were some pretty good waves that night, and between high seas and a small boat, the boat didn't show up on radar. Whoever was the lookout that night was on the ball, and whoever was at the controls handled the ship astoundingly well. Aside from a huge wake, the sailboat was unaffected. It was truly amazing to see and very scary to think about how things could have turned out. Several bottles were lost in bars, including the two kinds of wine I wanted from Ellington's the following night :p, and the captain said one woman hurt her arm slightly, but it certainly could have been a whole lot worse.

On Saturday morning around 9:00, the captain made an announcement that there was a woman in the medical facility who needed to be evacuated. I don't know what happened, but she was stabilized to the point that the Coast Guard and the hospital the ship's doctors consult with in Miami felt it was best not to airlift her. We made an unscheduled stop in Nassau, stopped outside the harbor, and they launched a lifeboat and brought her to an ambulance waiting on shore. The last I heard is the captain announcing that she was safely on the ambulance. I hope that someone who knows her maybe happens to be on these boards, and can tell us if she's OK.

audome78, DH and I were fantasizing on Saturday night about doing a B2B sometime-please fill me in when you get back on details. Do you have to do check-in again, or just get a new seapass card and hang out in your stateroom for a few hours during the flip? I'm very curious.

THAT CRUISE WAS THE ****!! Kev at Dragons Lair IS THE SICKEST BARTENDER!!

But yeah that was crazy! Me n some friends were drinkin at Baleros and it was like slow-Mo when we almost took out the Sail-Boat!! Liquor bottles started sliding off n busting and when the opended the room where boxes of liquor were stored there was THOUSANDS of Dollars in Broken bottles!!

We had to make a 38 degree turn.. 7 More Dehrees (45) and the boat would have tipped like the Pricess Cruise did not so long ago!! Luckily we didnt and we avoided that ship.. that was crazy! Im sure we would havedemolished that little sail boat anyways haha

But yeah I hope the woman who was dropped off in Nassau was ok.. we watched her gwet lowered in the dingy! Its crazy that the Coast Guard REFUSED to pick her up via the Heliport... I underestand they didnt have the right equipment but I cant see how making her wait a full night was the best idea but at least we all got to see Nassau. We got to see the Carnival Glory's Ports as well as Ours haha!

This was BY FAR the best n craziest cruise Ive been on.. Id suggest RCI over EVERYTHING as long as its the Mariner of a ship made after that.. Ive been on a few lines n I had a heell of alot more fun on this! I was the winner of the Baketball HOT SHOT Shootout (I wa who made that Half-Court Shot) and we were the Winners of QUEST my mother was the Captain of our Team (3).. she didn the split n couldnt walk haha.. Where's Manamana??!!! haha

Archived