Snorkel vest- Canada/ON-where?

shygirl

I am talking about the yellow/around the neck ones with a few straps that you see all the shore excusion people wear.

Right now, I can get 2 for $50US online /without tax or shipping or duty. Can't find a Canadian seller.

Do they sell them in the gift shop on board the ship?

How about somewhere in New York city area. We are going the day before so we can do pickup at a store.

Where can I purchase a couple of inexpensive snorkel vest in Ontario/Toronto(west) area without mail ordering. We leave in 12 days. Don't want the hassle of ordering from the US.

Thanks for your help.

I haven't been in a dive shop that caters to snorkeling for quite a few years. Here are some to call and see what they have:

Aquarius Scuba Diving Centre Inc.

4020 Dundas Street W.

Toronto, Ontario

M6S 4W6

Waterline Sports

1953 Avenue Road

Toronto, Ontario M5M 4A3

416-488-6000

Water Sports Scuba

2082 Yonge Street

Toronto, ON M4S 2A3

(416) 488-1000

The first one is definitely in the west end. The other two cater more to all types of water sports; you are more likely to find snorkeling equipment at Waterline Sports, possibly Water Sports Scuba, maybe Aquarius Scuba.

I don't know if there is anything further west unless you want to go to Mississauga or Brampton. In Mississauga you might want to call:

Aqua-Systems Scuba

1730 Dundas St E

Mississauga, Ontario

L4X 1L8

(905) 277-8881

Someone recommended Scuba2000. This is in the east side of Richmond Hill. Additionally, even if you lived in Richmond Hill I wouldn't recommend this shop.

Darrell

I am talking about the yellow/around the neck ones with a few straps that you see all the shore excusion people wear.

Right now, I can get 2 for $50US online /without tax or shipping or duty. Can't find a Canadian seller.

Do they sell them in the gift shop on board the ship?

How about somewhere in New York city area. We are going the day before so we can do pickup at a store.

The gift shop on board the ship won't have them. The dive locker onboard the ship might have them. They usually sell things like goggles, underwater cameras, straps for the mask, etc. I've not seen large items like a vest in the dive locker but it is possible. If they have them, they will not be cheap.

Anyone knows if we can buy them in Puerto Rico?

There is nothing down near the ship dock. I was looking for something last time I was in San Juan. If you are going to find something, it will be inside the city. You'd have to get a cab from the airport to the store then a cab from the store to the ship dock.

Thanks Darrell, I will give them all a call tommorrow.

Over the weekend, we checked out the Outdoor show at the International Centre and was quite disappointed. There was 3 dive shops there, all featuring expensive scuba gear only. Only 1 had mask, snorkel and fins and no vest. I even inquired and they had no interest in snorkeling stuff. They gave me their card and I think they are Aqua System, on Dundas. Also tried calling Happy Den in Streetsville, and no answer all day.

I am not a confident swimmer and we are planning 3-4 snorkeling trips this cruise. I figure paying $5 plus rental each time at the beach can add up. Last trip at half moon cay, I was using a cheapy blow up ring(fish shape) and my DH was a bit embarrassed to be out there with me! LOL!

Thanks Darrell, I will give them all a call tommorrow.

Over the weekend, we checked out the Outdoor show at the International Centre and was quite disappointed. There was 3 dive shops there, all featuring expensive scuba gear only. Only 1 had mask, snorkel and fins and no vest. I even inquired and they had no interest in snorkeling stuff. They gave me their card and I think they are Aqua System, on Dundas. Also tried calling Happy Den in Streetsville, and no answer all day.

I am not a confident swimmer and we are planning 3-4 snorkeling trips this cruise. I figure paying $5 plus rental each time at the beach can add up. Last trip at half moon cay, I was using a cheapy blow up ring(fish shape) and my DH was a bit embarrassed to be out there with me! LOL!

The Outdoor Adventure Show is a good place to get information (travel brochures, flyers, etc.) but not a good place to buy things. The environment is crazy; all the exhibitors are trying to recoup the cost of the booth. This means it is all sell, sell, sell. Because scuba diving can be deadly, I don't think it is something you want to rush into. Places like Happy Divers Den don't get a booth there because they are all about promoting scuba diving and not about selling equipment.

Aquarius Scuba was at the show. The Scuba Shop is owned by Scuba2000; they were there as well. If you see information for OUE (Ontario Underwater Explorers), EUC (Etobicoke Underwater Club) or HHUC (Hart House Underwater Club) don't bother with them. They are clubs for socializing and training. They DON'T sell anything. Their whole philosophy is that they have better training because it is their only focus unlike dive shops that often are more focused on selling you something. Most the EUC members seem to shop at and recommend Aquarius Scuba. I took a refresher course there once and it was a fairly well stocked store.

Most scuba shops don't carry the vest. The mask/fins/snorkel package is required for scuba diving as well as snorkeling.

Happy Divers Den in Streetsville is closed on Sundays and Mondays. The owner, Candace, has another job plus she is an avid diver so she cannot afford to be open 7 days a week. They have the mask/fins/snorkel package but I don't remember seeing a vest there. Some of the staff members, due to medical reasons, cannot scuba dive. They only snorkel. There is a slim chance Candace has a snorkeling vest. You can give her a call at (905) 567-8118.

My wife and I bought exactly what you are looking for at Waterline Sports about 5 years ago. Suggest you call them first before making the trek. One thing is that decent vests are relatively expensive, think ours were about $80 or more. We have also dealt with Water Sports on Yonge as we have now graduated to scuba diving (absolutely love it!) and have found Water Sports to be great to deal with, friendly, good prices and full of info. Think they carry them too but suggest you also give them a call first (they are on the west side of Yonge just south of Eglinton.) Good luck with your quest.

I was looking for the same thing but went the US route on Ebay, got her in 5 days. There is a place in the Toronto area, they have about 3-4 stores, and e-mailed me that they had some in stock in Mississauga I believe. I didn't keep the e-mail so I have no address for you, but I just googled snorkel vests and they popped up. I think they were about $50 each, so I risked having them shipped from Washington. Good luck.

Archived