Lrica Reviews

czechmate

I think we can all agree that they shouldn't become another copy of some US based line BUT!!! they should get their act together. We all expect to get good italien food right. Well on the 9th cruise out not even that was good. The risotto wasn´t really good at all and only the pasta was ok. If you had meats well either they were raw or you could resole your shoes with it. Fruit was a disaster most of it was truely over the time it should have been served. The pineapple on my drink was rotting & mouldy & the barman couldn't understand why I was asking him to make me a new one.....It is the little things like the same cake every day just the butter icing is a different colour. What happened to the varienty the Italien kitchen offers?!?

Moeve - The 9th cruise - not sure which that one was.

This is only my personal opinion BUT

I have never had anything but good first class healthy food with plenty of variety whilst travelling with MSC.

I am a great fruit lover and eat it at every meal never was I served one less than perfect item of fruit and that included the fruit delivered complimentary to the cabin every day.

Risotto was pretty near "ambrosia" - and much like that I have enjoyed around Venice, Milan, Florence, Sorrento and other spots in Italy.

Many people are simply unaware that there are huge regional variations in italian cooking. One "mamas meat is another mamas poison"! Certainly MSC serve food that is a vast improvement on that found in any USA "italian restaurant" from New York to Miami to San Francisco.

Meat with two exceptions was cooked as I requested - and as one review I read stated the steak could be cut with a fork.

On one occasion when I requested a salmon steak NOT overcooked and dry Luigi the excellent top class waiter said "I am sorry but we do not have a fish grill for Ippocampo restaurant and it would have to be prepared in and

transferred from La Bussola restaurant kitchen so it will be overcooked by then". Maybe some would blame MSC for this - but I congratulate an excellent waiter who was interested in his diners and serving then the best meal he could. I was not deprived and there were plenty of alternative choices.

I know people who are real finicky faddy eaters and they enjoyed the MSC food at all times.

I do agree that the food caters to the healthy style and if you have an a*s the size of an elephant and a "heart attack" style eating habit then you may be disappointed.

Writing this I was again reminded of the "madam" who thought she was so sophisticated and complaining loudly said "I like my steak to look like a steak". We laughed and gave her our sympathy - poor deprived creature had only experienced one steak cut in her entire life!

Many people seem to be under the wrong impression that Lirica was the first time that MSC had ventured into the caribbean. WRONG Melody was there before - and the food was just as good there too.

Like others I speak as I find. I call the shots as I see them. It is amazing that our experiences could be so totally different.

I have to say if my experience was truly as bad as yours then I would certainly not cruise with that company in the future - regardless of price.

If any person is interested then I would highly recommend a visit to 2 excellent and very extensive web sites with a wealth of information on MSC Lirica.

For the food aspect there are not only menus but photographs. I think these will show far more than words by any individual whether in criticism or defence.

I accept that words on a menu are simply that - they do not give any indication as to flavour and taste - but it will give an indication of variety. Of course the menus are only for the main restaurant and there were other breakfast and lunchtime dining areas where further large selections of food were available.

One site is by Buil and Diane - this relates to a Jauary 2004 cruise.

the other is by Magwa

I am not sure if I can post the leads here or if that will be deleted.

Czechmate - the 9th cruise all together of the Lirica (was in the Med) but do remember I said that they have been working on the problem.

By May 2005 I can tell how much better it has gotten as then I am going to give her another go!

Otherwise she is a very beautiful ship!!!

Moeve - I am truly sorry that your experience was not all that you hoped and it would be great if in May 2005 all was as you wished.

Have a horrible feeling though that from now it could all be downhill for MSC!!

I agree that Lirica was beautiful - the interior colourings are far better than on Opera - if the Opera interior photographs are anything to go by. Opera looks a little brash and full on!! Maybe it will be better in the "flesh! so to speak!! People like Downdie and btintertech seemed really happy.

Of course I too will have my fears confirmed or confounded with my transtalantic with Opera 2nd April!!

I will make a strong criticism of MSC with regards to the European Marketing Strategy - it appears to be no existant! They certainly do not send brochures when requested on the website. Faxed messages to the head office are ignored! You never see any adverts, info,

press realeases - or I have not anyway. Provide an e-mail address for info and newsletters and you hear nothing. Contact travel agents and most look at you with a blank stare and say they cannot help. If only MSC would concentrate on attracting a bigger European passenger allocation in the Caribbean I think 90% of the criticism would disappear. Well thats my feelings anyway.

Certainly save them the expense of the "baseball" and "country and western cruises" etc. Reminds me of the Butlins holiday camp image back in the 60s!!

We will all have to wear "kiss me quick" hats soon !!

I have to agree MSC is very slow - the last time I looked a few weeks ago they hadn't even finalized the summer sailings for 2005 and were not even dreaming about early 2006. Other cruiselines already have broschure all the way to April 2006!!

MSC is still a baby and it has lots of growing to do!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have just read the entire thread and have just a few thoughts to add.

We sailed on the Lirica to the Panama Canal April 1 -12 this year. I was a little apprehensive prior to booking as it was a new ship and I had not heard of MSC line. When I read the bad reviews, I became very concerned if we were making a mistake, being a Royal Carib fan. Thankfully there were some honest reviews that admitted there were some problems but they were improving.

Seeing as I pride myself for my objectivity, I realized that it does take time to get the kinks out of a new ship and new staff. What saved the day for myself and my travel companions was the fact that due to the "critical reviews" (some mild and some probably exaggerated) MSC was made "aware" of much disatisfaction among it's new cruisers. They made an all out effort to correct the problems and realized full well that Americans are very discriminating!

I include myself in that category. Well, by the time April 1 rolled around, I believe that 90% of the complaints were addressed satisfactorily.

We were thrilled and happy with the ship, the staff was extremely polite, the FOOD WAS GREAT! I must say, we did hear some muttering about the food which amazed us. Maybe it was our Italian background that made us appreciate the food so much. Having been born and raised in New York and having ethnic grandparents, we were accustomed to "REAL Italian food" . Living in Florida for the past 28 years, I guess we really appreciated all the "authentic Italian food"

To add a Cherry on top of the cake, the entertainment was absolutely fantastic. Every show was excellent and professionally done, the lounges were hopping every night. The animation team was such a great bunch of young people who kept us laughing all the time. In short: WE LOVED THE CRUISE !! We had previously sailed on the Navigator of the Seas (RCL) and we were absolutely spellbound by the beauty of the ship and the tremendous amount of activities, and we are booked on the Mariner January 16, 2005. I am so excited that my travel companions will experience this type of ship, but I do not think it is fair to say this will be better. It depends on what you are looking for !! they are 2 totally different experiences. I am grateful to have had both.

So.... bottom line to all these thoughts..... You just cannot please ALL the people ALL the time. Everyone's perception and expectations are very different. A word of advice: Go with a GOOD ATTITUDE and EXPECT to have a good time. HAPPY CRUISING TO ALL

Jeanne;) :D

Archived