Southern Caribbean beaches

bjrose

Please tell me a couple of things out there...do we need to bring those water shoes for the beaches so as not to get hurt while in the water? Also, when you go on excursions for these days out, do all of you wear your bathing suits underneath or do you just bring them along in your backpack? For women it's always an issue. I know it sounds silly, but we're trying to get it right. After reading all the travel supplies some need, I feel like we need a separate bag just for that!

Thank you cruisers!

bjrose:)

That depends on you, but what I would do is do some research to find out if there is a place to change where you are going.

What I did is wear my swim suit under a pair of short over alls and a tank top. Some days I tied a wrap around skirt around my suit and a tank top to match.

I know I heard some women complain that their legs rubbed together and they got chapped in that case pull a pair of shorts over your suit and maybe pack a pr of under clothes in your bag.

I always made sure I was dry before I had to leave.

We took a pr of swim shoes with us when we went to the beach. They are not to comfortable if you have to do a lot of walking though. I would never go into the ocean w/o swim shoes.

That depends on you, but what I would do is do some research to find out if there is a place to change where you are going.

What I did is wear my swim suit under a pair of short over alls and a tank top. Some days I tied a wrap around skirt around my suit and a tank top to match.

I know I heard some women complain that their legs rubbed together and they got chapped in that case pull a pair of shorts over your suit and maybe pack a pr of under clothes in your bag.

I always made sure I was dry before I had to leave.

We took a pr of swim shoes with us when we went to the beach. They are not to comfortable if you have to do a lot of walking though. I would never go into the ocean w/o swim shoes.

thanks so much as I needed this kind of info. I will bring the water shoes then. Are the towels ok that the cruiseline gives us? Should I bring my own too? Is there really a need for hangers and a clothesline? Thanks again.

Bjrose:)

I always just wear my swim suit with a cute sun dress or skirt and tank over the top to go to the beach- its easy and looks cute for when you're not in the water.

I have never worn water shoes to the beach at any of the ports I've been too except in Belieze when we went cave-tubing - you should be just fine wearing flip flops and going without shoes in the water.

Don't worry about bringing your own towels- just take the ones you get from the ship and exchange them for clean ones when you get back. And certainly don't worry about bringing extra hangers- if you need more ask your cabin steward and they will bring you more! Have a great time!!

You don't need watershoes at most beaches--they are smooth sand, for the most part!

If you KNOW you're going to the beach, wear your suit under shorts or a sundress....(You don't want to be walking around in your suit prior to the beach!)

Most public beaches have "facilities--restrooms, rentals, food, etc...) so you can change, but it's just easier to wear your suit.

Please tell me a couple of things out there...do we need to bring those water shoes for the beaches so as not to get hurt while in the water? Also, when you go on excursions for these days out, do all of you wear your bathing suits underneath or do you just bring them along in your backpack? For women it's always an issue. I know it sounds silly, but we're trying to get it right. After reading all the travel supplies some need, I feel like we need a separate bag just for that!

Thank you cruisers!

My best advice about Caribbean beaches is bring plenty of bug spray. We speak from experience. Those sand fleas are vicious.

thanks so much as I needed this kind of info. I will bring the water shoes then. Are the towels ok that the cruiseline gives us? Should I bring my own too? Is there really a need for hangers and a clothesline? Thanks again.

Bjrose, you don't need hangars, you can get extra from your room steward if you need them. I do pack my clothes on their hangars, though, so that I don't have to re-hang them. No need for a clothes line. There is one in your shower. (At least on all of the ships we have been on.) The towels are fine. They have nice big ones for your use at the pool or on excursions. You may have to sign for them, and will (supposedly) be charged a fee if you don't return them.

Have a great time on your Southern cruise!

Just take the pool towels from your ship and be sure to take them back as they will charge you if you don't.

I have never took hangers with me, just ask for extras.

No clothes line needed either..

I would never go to any beach with out my water shoes, I would never get into the water with out them either. You just never know and its better to be safe than very sorry!

As far as bug spray, we have never needed it and never took it except when we went into a cave.

Rent a chair and stay off of the sand other than walking on it.

Have a great vacation and you won't be sorry for asking all these questions at all. I would rather be prepared and avoid getting hurt or eaten up then suffer the remainder of my vacation. :o

I always just wear my swim suit with a cute sun dress or skirt and tank over the top to go to the beach- its easy and looks cute for when you're not in the water.

I have never worn water shoes to the beach at any of the ports I've been too except in Belieze when we went cave-tubing - you should be just fine wearing flip flops and going without shoes in the water.

Don't worry about bringing your own towels- just take the ones you get from the ship and exchange them for clean ones when you get back. And certainly don't worry about bringing extra hangers- if you need more ask your cabin steward and they will bring you more! Have a great time!!

Thanks, Cruzinbunny. Everyone is making me crazy with bring this, bring that! Eek! I feel like chucking it all! I will listen to you then

bjrose

Just take the pool towels from your ship and be sure to take them back as they will charge you if you don't.

I have never took hangers with me, just ask for extras.

No clothes line needed either..

I would never go to any beach with out my water shoes, I would never get into the water with out them either. You just never know and its better to be safe than very sorry!

As far as bug spray, we have never needed it and never took it except when we went into a cave.

Rent a chair and stay off of the sand other than walking on it.

Have a great vacation and you won't be sorry for asking all these questions at all. I would rather be prepared and avoid getting hurt or eaten up then suffer the remainder of my vacation. :o

I have over 50 bites on me from my cruise to the Southern Caribbean two weeks ago as testimony that bug spray is indeed needed on certain beaches. We won't make the mistake of not using it again in the future. Live and learn.

I have over 50 bites on me from my cruise to the Southern Caribbean two weeks ago as testimony that bug spray is indeed needed on certain beaches. We won't make the mistake of not using it again in the future. Live and learn.

Do you think it was from swimming?

My Tony had a rash that was caused by what was referred to as "sea Lice"-which was lots of little bites from sea larve. Since I just walked the beach I had nothing.

From what I understand, Sea Lice is some kind of larve and are only around certain times of the year. In our 10 cruises in the caribbean it has happened to Tony twice. (We only been to the southern caribbean once and it did not happen there.) He still does not know how to pervent it happening.

I am also curious-which beaches did this happen to you? Our cruise which departed from San Juan, took us to Barbados, Martinique and Dominica. We also went to St. Thomas ansd St. Marten that cruise-but since we can do those islands from a departing FL cruise-I do not consider those islands in southern caribbean.

Now sand fleas-there are tons of those nasty buggers on South Carolina and Florida beaches.

We stayed on a beach near Charleston this past December and becuase it was mild a couple of days those little buggers were out a plenty! I do not think I would want to be there in the summer!

For walking the beach (not sure about swimming though) Avon skin so Soft works.

Do you think it was from swimming?

My Tony had a rash that was caused by what was referred to as "sea Lice"-which was lots of little bites from sea larve. Since I just walked the beach I had nothing.

From what I understand, Sea Lice is some kind of larve and are only around certain times of the year. In our 10 cruises in the caribbean it has happened to Tony twice. (We only been to the southern caribbean once and it did not happen there.) He still does not know how to pervent it happening.

I am also curious-which beaches did this happen to you? Our cruise which departed from San Juan, took us to Barbados, Martinique and Dominica. We also went to St. Thomas ansd St. Marten that cruise-but since we can do those islands from a departing FL cruise-I do not consider those islands in southern caribbean.

Now sand fleas-there are tons of those nasty buggers on South Carolina and Florida beaches.

We stayed on a beach near Charleston this past December and becuase it was mild a couple of days those little buggers were out a plenty! I do not think I would want to be there in the summer!

For walking the beach (not sure about swimming though) Avon skin so Soft works.

From my investigative work the bites are from sand fleas which happened in Tortola at Brewer's Bay. We didn't go in the water that day. Just from laying on the beach.

From my investigative work the bites are from sand fleas which happened in Tortola at Brewer's Bay. We didn't go in the water that day. Just from laying on the beach.

So it was real sand fleas then and not the sea lice-okay. The sea lice are pretty miserable too.

The Sand Fleas were bad in Port St. Joe FL when we were there a couple of summers ago. What surprised me was that they were on the beach on St. James Island near Charleston this past December. Since we were wearing long pants and just walking onthe beach (even though mild that day still too cold for swimming) we were not bit as bad-but those little buggers were still there!

Wow kewlguy sorry to hear you got ate up:eek: ...WE went to a beach at every port we stopped and spent almost the entire day at each and never got one bite.

I guess you are too sweet to resist....:p

I don't own watershoes and have never had a need to wear them. We are true beach people and that is where in every port of call in the Caribbean. We spend most of the time in the water.

I wear my suit with a wrap skirt and tank and bring a dry set of underclothes. I change if there is a place to go so. I also pack a travel package of cleansing towlettes so I can use them to wipe off salt and residue from sunscreen. as for beach towels, we pack a set.

Enjoy!

Wow kewlguy sorry to hear you got ate up:eek: ...WE went to a beach at every port we stopped and spent almost the entire day at each and never got one bite.

I guess you are too sweet to resist....:p

There could be some truth to this statement since mosquitoes love me also. ;)

Thank you cruisers!

Just a note about the hangers: after many cruises we have learned to keep those cheap wire hangers that the dry cleaners give you; we hang our dinner clothes on these & cover with plastic (dry cleaner) bags & put them in the suitcase this way. Very little wrinkles & makes unpacking a breeze:) .

Jan

Hi, all,

Weighing in with my two cents worth. We went sea kayaking and snorkeling in St.Kitts and were extremely glad for our water shoes, as the "beach" was all rocks. I'd rather have them than need them. . .

We discovered that many of our shore excursions were short enough that we didn't worry about wearing bathing suits for hours and hours; never enough time on the beaches in the Caribbean!

As for bugs, didn't see any in St. Thomas, St. John, St. Kitts, Barbados, Antigua, or Dominica (except some in the rain forest). BUT in the Outer Banks, the green headed flies bit us off the beach. . .

Lou-Ann

Archived