non diving guests onboard excursions

Trekker954

do scuba diving excursions from the islands allow guests on board (for a fee)? or are the boats just too crowded?

It depends on the dive operator. Most dive operators are happy to have non-diving passengers. The dive boats are usually pretty roomy. Without a reasonable amount of room it is hard to get around with all your scuba equipment on. There are some dive boats though that are very small relative to the number of divers.

Bottom line, ask and 80% of the time, for a fee, they'll be happy to have you come along.

do scuba diving excursions from the islands allow guests on board (for a fee)? or are the boats just too crowded?

Most dive operators will allow "bubblewatchers" and there is usually a fee. If the boats are already booked with divers the operator may not be able to...

If this helps... I went on a dive excursion in Cozumel December 2006 where one of the other divers brought his non-diving girlfriend along for the ride and view.

The excursion was full but one extra person didn't crowd the boat. I don't know if they charged them though.

Fee yes, let's them go, most times. Also be aware it can be very boring for non-divers if they don't want to sun or read a book. Remember that on a two tank dive you're in the water 45-hour with the boat virtually empty, twice, so it can be 2 hours or so with no one to talk to except maybe a the captain or one of the crew. Also one other thing, the water conditions aren't aways great, choppy, rough wave action may not stop a dive but can bounce people around that say on the boat. But some people just like to be on the water regardless.

Randall

thanks for the info. My daughter dives, and I do not. I normally take a taxi to a beach or a resort where I'm pampered and waited on.:D

but with six ports of call and no sea days, I thought maybe I'd tag along one of her dives and take some photos. She is doing all two tank dives, so as much as I enjoy being with her, I think I'll just pass.

Archived