Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Hi! Can you tell me how to get from Anchorage to Vancouver the cheapest ways?

Thanks!

Sharon and Bruce

Sorry Sharon and Bruce I am not sure as I've never done this trip. Flights are pricy from US to Canada. You may want to look at Alaska to Seattle then arrange transport to Vancouver.

I did a quick search with kayak dot com and only guessed dates as i wasn't sure when you were going, so I punched in July 12 a Sat.

I found the price to be reasonable Anchorage to VAncouver about $350 but horrible long layover and you layover in Seattle!

For Anchorage to Seattle on the same date I got under $250 with the flight only being just over three hours. This is the much better route to go.

Driving back up to Vancouver is very easy, see previous posts about renting a car and driving. Putterdude wrote about it a few pages back.

Vickie,

How far is the Cannery from the Fairmont Waterfront? Won't have wheels so would either need to walk or take a taxi.

Thanks.

Ron

It isn't really far, and could be walked, but unfortunately because of where it is I don't believe it would be a good idea to walk there. You need to walk thru some rougher areas (Vancouver Eastside) and into the Port of Vancouver - which I am not even sure you can walk in to.

A taxi is your best bet, I would guess about a $15 ride each way. But it is well worth the price, make reservations for the time around sunset and ask for a window table and sit back and enjoy.

It is on the pricer end but it will be remarkable.

Here is a link to their site http://www.canneryseafood.com/about.html

Vicki and PD and other Vancouverites - don't know if you saw an article in the paper a month or so ago that the Cannery will be moving to a new location when their current lease is up - with the changes to port security and the tighter access requirements ownership feels that it is better for business to relocate - no idea of where on the waterfront they might relocate to.

Cheers

Dennis

Vicki and PD and other Vancouverites - don't know if you saw an article in the paper a month or so ago that the Cannery will be moving to a new location when their current lease is up - with the changes to port security and the tighter access requirements ownership feels that it is better for business to relocate - no idea of where on the waterfront they might relocate to.

Yes, I did read the article in Vancouver Sun, we get it at 10:00 am up here, its really is a shame but time does march on and perhaps they may end up in a more accessable area. Man, just think of the bottles of wine that have been spilt there over what, the past 25 years.

I am doing an inside passage in june of 09, leaving from Vancouver. We are just beginning to research places to stay, things to do, etc. My sister, who is also going, has some timeshare points and said we may get to stay at Aviawest at the Rosedale on Robson using her points. The website is pretty slim, but of course, this is not your regular hotel type facility. Just wondering if you know anything about it? Do you know if they have airport/canada place shuttle service, breakfast, etc?

Thanks

Cheers

Dennis

wow thanks Dennis, it is a hassel and i can see why they would want to move... any idea where?

"any idea where?"

Nope and nothing was mentioned in the article.

PD - you wouldn't know the date of the article so perhaps one of us can do a search of the Vancouver Sun's website and link to it.

Cheers

Dennis

It isn't really far, and could be walked, but unfortunately because of where it is I don't believe it would be a good idea to walk there. You need to walk thru some rougher areas (Vancouver Eastside) and into the Port of Vancouver - which I am not even sure you can walk in to.

A taxi is your best bet, I would guess about a $15 ride each way. But it is well worth the price, make reservations for the time around sunset and ask for a window table and sit back and enjoy.

It is on the pricer end but it will be remarkable.

Here is a link to their site http://www.canneryseafood.com/about.html

Vickie,

Thanks for the info and the link. Menu looks good. Got any info on the Herons Restaurant that's in the Fairmont Waterfront in case we decide to stay in? Thanks.

Ron

PD - you wouldn't know the date of the article so perhaps one of us can do a search of the Vancouver Sun's website and link to it.

I would only be guessing but a month to 6 weeks ago. It is not so much a matter that they want to leave the location, it has always been a sucess for them. It is that there lease is about to expire with the Port Of Vancouver and the Port has advised them that for a number of reasons, not the least of which is security of the port, they will not renew their lease. I think that the article did say that the dialogue had been going on with the parties for some time so it did not come as a surprise to them. I think it is owned by Bud Kanke who is also Joe Fortes and has done an number of other restaurants in the city over the years. As I recall he also opened the "Old House" in Courtenay years ago and the "Fish House" in Stanley Park but is now out of those..

I am doing an inside passage in june of 09, leaving from Vancouver. We are just beginning to research places to stay, things to do, etc. My sister, who is also going, has some timeshare points and said we may get to stay at Aviawest at the Rosedale on Robson using her points. The website is pretty slim, but of course, this is not your regular hotel type facility. Just wondering if you know anything about it? Do you know if they have airport/canada place shuttle service, breakfast, etc?

I watched the building being built from my office and the Rose logo used to flash into to my eyes. I hadn't realized that it was a time share and perhaps only a portion of them are time share units. I have never seen the suites but it is a good location on Robson at Hamilton St. It is kind of where the downtown business transistions into the trendy "Soho" style neighbourhood called Yaletown, with lots of unique shops, galleries and trendy restaurants. You can walk to to the shopping area of Robson St., Pacific Centre, the Hudsons Bay, and the art gallery. You can walk the one block to Georgia St. where you can catch a bus to Stanley Park.

The Rosedale has a restaurant on the ground floor called Rosies on Robson which is a causal restaurant and you are only a block or so to Moxies and a White Spot on Georgia which are kind of "Applebies" style restaruants. I am not sure if Rosies is open for breafast but there is a Starbucks very close by if not in the building.

I would think that it is highly unlkely that they would offer a shuttle service but a call to them would clear that up. If not your your options are the Airporter which does stop at the Rosedale for $13.75 pp or $21.50 round trip or a taxi for about $35/40. Your cab fare to the Canada Place terminal about $12/15.

http://www.yvrairporter.com/

This is an amzing thread. Thank you all for the information contained here!

We (mom and 10 year old son) will be spending about 2 1/2 days in Vancouver post-cruise from July 18th to late in the day on the 20th. We are staying at the Pan Pacific where I got an incredible corporate rate.

Any ideas for must do while we are visiting for a sports-nut kid that loves to explore new cities? I was considering trying to get tickets for a BC Lions game on July 18th. Are tickets hard to get and is it difficult to get to and from the stadium?

Is there a Tim Hortons anywhere near our hotel? My son got hooked when we were in Toronto last year. Any restaurants that you could recommend for kids? Nothing too upscale, good food and maybe a little fun.

Getting tickets for the BC Lions game will be no problem, I think you can get them on Tickemaster. The walk to the BC Place Stadium, about 15 mins from the Pan Pacific. By the way BC Place Stadium will be the sit of the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2010 Winter Olympics.

Tim Hortons; here is a link to all of the Vancouver stores, there is one right across the street from the PP in the Waterfront Centre http://www.timhortons.com/locator/index.html Fun restaurants with a 10 year old would be the Old Spaghetti Facotry in Gastown, about 15 min walk from the hotel. www.oldspaghettifactory.ca There are also food courts in the Waterfront Centre, as well as Pacific Centre and Harbour Centres about a 10 min walk or the White Spot at Georgia & Granville or a Red Robbin at Thurlow and Robson both less than a 15 min walk.

This is an amzing thread. Thank you all for the information contained here!

We (mom and 10 year old son) will be spending about 2 1/2 days in Vancouver post-cruise from July 18th to late in the day on the 20th. We are staying at the Pan Pacific where I got an incredible corporate rate.

Any ideas for must do while we are visiting for a sports-nut kid that loves to explore new cities? I was considering trying to get tickets for a BC Lions game on July 18th. Are tickets hard to get and is it difficult to get to and from the stadium?

Is there a Tim Hortons anywhere near our hotel? My son got hooked when we were in Toronto last year. Any restaurants that you could recommend for kids? Nothing too upscale, good food and maybe a little fun.

There are also tours of GM Place (Home of the Canucks). I believe the tours are only offered on Wed. and Fri. ou need to go to the area website for tour dates, times and tickets. I was bummed that I was not in town on the days the tour is offered (and that the Canucks missed the Playoffs killing my chances of possibly seeing a game when I was in town).

I was bummed that I was not in town on the days the tour is offered (and that the Canucks missed the Playoffs killing my chances of possibly seeing a game when I was in town).

And how do you think we Canukelheads felt?:mad:

some things for your 10 year old to do might be

Imax theatre right at Canada Place (also Pan Pacific)

Playland (amusement park) located about a 15 minute bus ride away - you can buy all day passes for unlimited rides

Martime Museum

Planatarium

Granville Island has a building that is called "Kids Only market"

Aquarium at Stanley Park (new baby beluga whale was just born)

lots more, but just can't think of any more.

Please forgive me if the questions that follow have already been answered. We are booked at the Fairmont Waterfront (it was supposed to be the Pan Pacific, but that is another story) and I would like to know - We are sailing with HAL - how far we are from the ship dock?

Good place to get pop before we board?

City tour as part of the transfer package with HAL? Has anyone ever done this? Is it worth the three hours? Does anyone know what time this tour usually begins?

Would I be better off to cancel this and just get to the dock on my own?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Beth

Please forgive me if the questions that follow have already been answered. We are booked at the Fairmont Waterfront (it was supposed to be the Pan Pacific, but that is another story) and I would like to know - We are sailing with HAL - how far we are from the ship dock?

Good place to get pop before we board?

City tour as part of the transfer package with HAL? Has anyone ever done this? Is it worth the three hours? Does anyone know what time this tour usually begins?

Would I be better off to cancel this and just get to the dock on my own?

Any help greatly appreciated.

according to Google Maps, the distance from the Fairmont Waterfront to Canada Place (cruise terminal) is 47m, that's about 50 yards. In reality, you exit the hotel, cross the street, and enter Canada Place, so I doubt it's really as much as that

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=fairmont+waterfront&daddr=canada+place&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=38.911557,91.054688&ie=UTF8&ll=49.287644,-123.112975&spn=0.001959,0.005558&t=h&z=18

You will walk WAY further inside the cruise terminal than you will from your hotel room to the cruise terminal, and probably further from your cabin to the main dining room, once you're on board.

yup, you are just across the street. Personally I much prefer the Fairmont over the Pan Pacific. I found the rooms much smaller in the Pan Pacific. Both are top notch hotels and I am sure you will be satisfied with the Fairmont.

You can watch your ship come in usually HAL docks on the West side of Canada Place (Pier) but you can walk all around the pier first thing and take some great pics.