Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Thank you all so much.

I was going to post a Q to know if I can go everywhere (Stanley Park, Granville Island, Gastown, Capilano bridge) around Vancouver using the city bus (translink/skytrain/seabus for just $9) or should I look into any of the tourbuses at all for that? Someone said I can.

I am travelling with 2 kids (5 and 2.5), is there anything I should know, be aware of?

I was lucky to get a good deal on the Pan Pacific. Again thank you all for the lovely service you provide to us. Any travel tips r welcome.

Arriving Vancouver 9/7/08 - Pan Pacific, sail on the Spirit on 9/10.

Thanks u,

Sampath

Hello,

I will be arriving at YVR at 6:00am on 9/20. I will be renting a car and wanted to go to Lynn Canyon, but I have a few questions.

How long will it take to drive there from YVR? I was planning to go there via the Second Narrows Bridge then return to the downtown area via the Lions Gate Bridge to Ballantyne pier. How long will this route take? Will there be a lot of traffic on a Saturday?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

ZOOM 2022-

I drove to Lynn Canyon from downtown 2 years ago and it took about 20 minutes. The park was great, in the middle of a rain-forest, and the suspension bridge was fun to walk on. Also it was free!

We are doing this again on the 19th and plan to drive on to Shannon Falls near Squamish that day. We also did that in 2006 and the drive is beautiful and the walk to the falls easy from the parking lot. It is an additional 30 minutes or so from Lynn Canyon.

Any questions about either place, let me know.

Mike

Thank you all so much.

I was going to post a Q to know if I can go everywhere (Stanley Park, Granville Island, Gastown, Capilano bridge) around Vancouver using the city bus (translink/skytrain/seabus for just $9) or should I look into any of the tourbuses at all for that? Someone said I can.

I am travelling with 2 kids (5 and 2.5), is there anything I should know, be aware of?

I was lucky to get a good deal on the Pan Pacific. Again thank you all for the lovely service you provide to us. Any travel tips r welcome.

Arriving Vancouver 9/7/08 - Pan Pacific, sail on the Spirit on 9/10.

Yes you can go to all of the places that you want to go via transit. However as you are staying at Canada Place you may just care to walk into Gastown as buses do not run into the area and the surrounding area is a bit seedy, you just walk east on Cordova from the PP in to Gastown. Also to go to Grouse Mtn and the Capilano suspension bridge you can do it via SeaBus which is about 100 paces east of the PP and once across the harbour you transfer to a Capilano bus, tell your driver what you want to see and he/she will be happy to tell you when to get off and on. Yes you can get an all day pass for $9pp and that can be purchased at the SeaBus or Skytrain station or many convenience stores. Here is a link to the Translink site:

http://www.portvancouver.com/vanAlaCruise/content/infoPassengers/usDirect.html

Hello,

I will be arriving at YVR at 6:00am on 9/20. I will be renting a car and wanted to go to Lynn Canyon, but I have a few questions.

How long will it take to drive there from YVR? I was planning to go there via the Second Narrows Bridge then return to the downtown area via the Lions Gate Bridge to Ballantyne pier. How long will this route take? Will there be a lot of traffic on a Saturday?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

That routing will work very well for you plus will give you a glance of Stanley Park as you go through the Stanley Park causeway once off the Lions Gate bridge. On a nice day it is one fo the nicest drives anywhere....I did it for 40 years and never got tired of it. From YVR to the Lynn Canyon park and suspension bridge allow yourself about 40/45 min. and from the park back into the city and Ballantyne 30/40 mins. No there won't be a ton of traffic on a Saturday and the drive time might be shaved by about 5 mins or so. Allow yourself about an hour at the park and bridge...the best part is that it is free.:D

Thank you for your quick responses.

Subway Mike... I've seen you on the Serenade Roll Call... thank you for the info. I guess we'll be seeing you on board.

Putterdude... thanks for the estimated drive times... that was exactly what I needed... I wanted to be sure we could see Lynn Canyon in the morning and still get aboard with no worries. Sounds like it is doable.

-debra

Putterdude... thanks for the estimated drive times... that was exactly what I needed... I wanted to be sure we could see Lynn Canyon in the morning and still get aboard with no worries. Sounds like it is doable.

With a 6 am arrival time it will be a slam dunk! It sounds like you have a map so you could even take a drive up either Seymour Mtn or Cypress Bowl if were a clear day as there are terrrific views back over the city from these vistas (don't bother going if it is raining or we have low cloud) or you could spend a little time in Stanley Park or drive around it.

You will need to give yourself more than 30 minutes to get to Shannon Falls this year - the entire highway is being rebuilt in advance of the 2010 games and there can be short delays at several places along the way + there is a 30 MPH speed limit through the construction zones - the sections that are finished are great - nice road bed and more passing lanes but there are a couple of major rebuilds before you get to Shannon Falls.

I was up that way a couple of weeks ago and did hike to the Falls but it seems like an hour to get there.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

We are staying at the Westin Bayshore before our cruise and would like to rent bikes to tour Stanley Park. Is there a bike rental place between there and the park entrance?

There sure is, Spokes Bicyle have been at Denman & Georgia just a block from the park since before I was born. There is also Bayshore Rentals which is about a half a block south of Georgia on Denman St. There are others around as well but these are the only websites that I have found. I am sure that Ut can add to the list or the Bayshore Inn will have a list.

http://www.vancouverbikerental.com/contact_us.html

http://www.bayshorebikerentals.ca/

At one time the hotel had some bikes for their guests to use - I also read on one of these threads that someone wasn't all that happy with Bayshore Rentals - PD is correct - Spokes has been around for a long time + there are about three other bike shops all next door to each other so you won't have any problem finding some.

Remember you must ride the Stanley Park seawall in a counter clock-wise direction and be sure to dismount where is says to as the Park Bike rangers have been known to issue tickets for non-compliance.

Enjoy the ride and make sure you have your camera and lots of media space or film to get all the sights and scenes.

I did the seawall yesterday and for a Friday it was busy.

Cheers

Dennis

I want to say thanks to all you great folks in Vancouver who take the time to help those of us who are so excited about our cruises, while having so many questions. A special thanks to Putt and U.T. for giving consistantly great info. We will be leaving DFW and arriving in YVR about 1 pm, Sept. 15. We will hopefully arrive at the Fairmont Waterfront by 2:30 or earlier. Question: we really want to see Grouse Mtn. if it is a clear day. Do we have time to do that on our arrival day. The next morn we are going to do an Orca watch .....taking a shuttle to Steveston (hope I spelled that right) and will be gone til later in the afternoon. Then we cruise the 17th. We have another day post cruise.....so we could do Grouse then after we get off the Ryndam. Any suggestions........again :D gg

Yes you will have time to do Grouse after you get in but remember that some of the activities will not be running in the late afternoon or evening but a sunset over the City will be a lasting memory. So it will really depend on what you hope to achieve on your visit.

You should only go up Grouse if the weather is clear and right now the longer range forecast is for sunny and dry conditions.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Dennis

I want to say thanks to all you great folks in Vancouver who take the time to help those of us who are so excited about our cruises, while having so many questions. A special thanks to Putt and U.T. for giving consistantly great info. We will be leaving DFW and arriving in YVR about 1 pm, Sept. 15. We will hopefully arrive at the Fairmont Waterfront by 2:30 or earlier. Question: we really want to see Grouse Mtn. if it is a clear day. Do we have time to do that on our arrival day. The next morn we are going to do an Orca watch .....taking a shuttle to Steveston (hope I spelled that right) and will be gone til later in the afternoon. Then we cruise the 17th. We have another day post cruise.....so we could do Grouse then after we get off the Ryndam. Any suggestions........again :D gg

Thank you for the kind words. We have toldd the mayor you are coming so the red carpet will be ready.:D

You could do Grouse on either day, it will come down to weather and what you feel you are up to.

Have a great cruise and a wonderful time in Vancouver.

Putterdude and UT:

We are staying at the Sutton Place Hotel and want to walk to AquaRiva. Do we have to walk up or down any hills to get there? Walking down is not an issue, but.....walking uphill might be a little much?

We will arrive in Vancouver on the 18th and are hoping for some nice weather...

Putterdude and UT:

We are staying at the Sutton Place Hotel and want to walk to AquaRiva. Do we have to walk up or down any hills to get there? Walking down is not an issue, but.....walking uphill might be a little much?

We will arrive in Vancouver on the 18th and are hoping for some nice weather...

You will find it a pleasant walk there, it is a very moderate slope to the water from Sutton Place. I have known people with respiratory conditions to have trouble walking back up but as I say it really is quite moderate. You will have and idea after you have walked there and if you feel it will be a problem going back have them call you a cab, it will cost <$15. We are having a very fine stretch of lovely weather and we will do our best to keep it until after 9/18.:)

We are having a very fine stretch of lovely weather and we will do our best to keep it until after 9/18.:)

Please keep the nice weather until 9/22!!:) We are arriving on 9/19 and will be there until our cruise on 9/22!!!:D

Larry

Yes you will have time to do Grouse after you get in but remember that some of the activities will not be running in the late afternoon or evening but a sunset over the City will be a lasting memory. So it will really depend on what you hope to achieve on your visit.

You should only go up Grouse if the weather is clear and right now the longer range forecast is for sunny and dry conditions.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Dennis

UT....thanks for your reply re: Grouse. We are also thinking of going up in the observation deck near F'mont Waterfront and watching the sunset. We are getting pretty excited about ret. to Vancouver and the chance at great weather makes it even more splendid.....esp. the Orca trip maybe not being too cool or rainy. But heh,,,,,,we will take what nature sends us and be thankful we are there. gg

Thank you for the kind words. We have toldd the mayor you are coming so the red carpet will be ready.:D

You could do Grouse on either day, it will come down to weather and what you feel you are up to.

Have a great cruise and a wonderful time in Vancouver.

Putt.....thanks for informing the mayor about our coming. We are definitely "good will ambassadors" for Vancouver and look forward to the red carpet treatment :D . Now that we are on the short end of counting down....I can hardly breathe w/ the anticipation of it all.......now to just get it all packed.......hmmmmm...... :eek: gg

Please keep the nice weather until 9/22!!:) We are arriving on 9/19 and will be there until our cruise on 9/22!!!:D

We will do our best. We are looking forward to getting down to our winter home in AZ towards the end of October, but get those temps down into double digits for us please.:D

We will do our best. We are looking forward to getting down to our winter home in AZ towards the end of October, but get those temps down into double digits for us please.:D

Working on the cooler temps in the South., Putt. Here, in E. Texas, we have received the positive aspects of Hurricane Gustav (if you can say positive and hurricane in the same sentence. Lots of needed rain, AM lows near 70 and the highs in the 80's. Now, if Ike just does not cause delays w/ our flights out of DFW on Monday.....and since it has slowed down a lot over Cuba, we hope for a smaller impact in Texas. Poor folks who have to keep getting out of the storms way. Know they are so tired. Our local hotels are already booked full and also, the churches who set up shelters for the evacuees, are already getting ready for the next surge.....after the last group just went home over the weekend. I think a lot of folks don't realize how far a lot of evacuees have to go to find a shelter that is not full......some go hundreds of miles. Tough on the young, the old, and the sick. That is all the hurricane news for today ........gg Well........maybe not, since the day is so new ;) gg

It's starting to drop as we speak. Forcast is for the high 90's later on this week! It was 80 this morning at 6:30am.

We have a few more weeks and then the beautiful weather will return!

Larry