Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

My friend just booked the Blue Harizon on Robson Street for $119 a night in June - this was the cheapest hotel in Downtown, by far! The other option was the Pacific Palisades at $149 a night - I have stayed at both places and they are fine. Anyone looking for a Downtown hotel might want to check them out....

Just check Blue Horizon - on my gov website - states sold out--however, might not be for regular travelsites. For 4- 5 June.

Help,

All of the hotels are very expensive around Canada Place and I really do not want to spend that much on a hotel since we will have rental car. So, my question is where else can I stay but not too far from Canada Place that is around $150 or in a good decent area. I have started to look at the Richmond area but not sure of that area.

Thanks for the help,

David

Help,

All of the hotels are very expensive around Canada Place and I really do not want to spend that much on a hotel since we will have rental car. So, my question is where else can I stay but not too far from Canada Place that is around $150 or in a good decent area. I have started to look at the Richmond area but not sure of that area.

Thanks for the help,

David

Most of the hotels in the downtown area start at about the $150 price point but to get that rate you need to use Priceline or Hotwire. Last season we were seeing Priceline rates at the Hyatt Regency at about $150 this year we have we have learned of Priceline rates at the Sutton Place at about $135 and just this afternoon someone posted of a Hotwire rate at the Westin Grand at even below those numbers. If you decide to bid on one of these service look at the area "downtown - west" and would bid for 4* and higher. In that area and at that * level you will get a good hotlel at a good price. I do not recommend the enterainment district.

Richmond is just fine and it is where airport is.The drive time is about 30/35 mins into downtown.

If you have any more questions please feel free to come back to this thread and one of us will be happy to help you.

Most of the hotels in the downtown area start at about the $150 price point but to get that rate you need to use Priceline or Hotwire. Last season we were seeing Priceline rates at the Hyatt Regency at about $150 this year we have we have learned of Priceline rates at the Sutton Place at about $135 and just this afternoon someone posted of a Hotwire rate at the Westin Grand at even below those numbers. If you decide to bid on one of these service look at the area "downtown - west" and would bid for 4* and higher. In that area and at that * level you will get a good hotlel at a good price.

I bid on Priceline for a 4* Downtown Vancouver hotel and got the Westin Grand for $100 per night. We will be there May 19-22.

I'll be looking for a hotel room soon for the Winter Olympics and prefer to stay in Vancouver, if possible. I'll be relying solely on public transportation. Are there any areas I should avoid as either unsafe (I'm a solo female traveler) or too far away? Thanks.

The closest one is likely Budget at 99 West Pender but to walk to it means walking thru rather a scuzzy area so I wouldn't recommend it. What I would do is phone the W. Georgia loaction and see if they will pick you up or pay your cab fare. For sure they will shuttle you to Canada Place which is about 7 blocks away. If they won't pick you up at Amtrak then your cab fare will be in the $15 range.

http://www.bc.budget.com/Locations.aspx#

Putterdude

Can you recommend a car rental company thats close to the Amtrak station and has a drop off near CP?

Canada Place and Pacific Station (corner of Main St & Terminal Ave if you look on a map) are only about 2 miles apart (or 4 subway stops)

Your other option is the Skytrain (subway).

#1 Walk out of Pacific Station [amtrak] and cross Main St ahead and slightly to the left to "Main Street/Science World Station" (100 yards). 2 minutes

#2 Buy a $2.50 one zone ticket and get on any westbound (aka "to Waterfront") train.

#3 Get off at Waterfront Station (4th stop, 6 minutes), turn left, go up the escalator (signs to Canada Place/Sinclair Centre), turn right, go up the escalator and the cruise ship terminal is 100 yards straight ahead. At this point you'll be virtually where the taxi would have dropped you. (Escallator exits you on Howe street between Waterfront and Cordova)

Total time 8 minutes. Skytrain runs almost continuously.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=Amtrak+Station,+Vancouver+Canada&daddr=Canada+Place,+Vancouver+bc&dirflg=r&sll=49.280684,-123.105969&sspn=0.015678,0.047035&ie=UTF8&ll=49.280628,-123.104038&spn=0.015678,0.047035&z=15&start=0

note for those wanting their last real cup of coffee before boarding, or you're really addicted to Starbucks:.. there was one at Pacific Station, one at Main Street/Science World Skytrain Station, and one just beyond the 1st escallator at Waterfront.

I found this reply from an old thread. Does this info still apply and would the third stop get me closer to the Budget Rental location at 416 W. Georgia?

If you decide to take SkyTrain you would take it to the Granville Station, the second stop from Main Street station, come up onto Seymour St., turn right, walk the 1/3 block to Georgia St., turn right and walk the two blocks to the Budget office. The $2.50 (CDN) fare still applies, you will find that the ticket machines in SkyTrain Stations do take credit and ATM cards (if you want to incur your bank's charges on that small of a purchase) or there is an ATM in the Amtrak station and in the VanCity Credit Union building that adjoins the Main St. station where you can get some CDN currency.

If you decide to take SkyTrain you would take it to the Granville Station, the second stop from Main Street station, come up onto Seymour St., turn right, walk the 1/3 block to Georgia St., turn right and walk the two blocks to the Budget office. The $2.50 (CDN) fare still applies, you will find that the ticket machines in SkyTrain Stations do take credit and ATM cards (if you want to incur your bank's charges on that small of a purchase) or there is an ATM in the Amtrak station and in the VanCity Credit Union building that adjoins the Main St. station where you can get some CDN currency.

Great info...Thanks!

I haven't got around to calling Budget yet...but if they won't pick me up then the first option will be a taxi. We will need one for 5 people and 4 of them are women...do the luggage math! If that doesn't pan out, I'll take the Skytrain to get the van and come back after the girls. Sound reasonable?

Yes that should work just fine. By the way all of the major car rental companies have downtown locations, none of which are far from Canada Place and all should shuttle you to the pier. So if Budget doesn't shuttle or does not hit the bid don't be afraid of trying someone else. By the way Hertz does have a counter in the Pacific Central Station where Amtrak comes in....it is just that I never have any success getting a decent rate from Hertz....but worth a try...1 800 263-0600

I believe HERTZ has a kiosk at the Amtrak station - I should know as I was there yesterday - will cycled by there one of these days and check it out for you.

Just answered my own question when I checked the downtown Yellow Pages it shows an outlet at the train station - it is Hertz and the local # is 604 606-4759

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Yes that should work just fine. By the way all of the major car rental companies have downtown locations, none of which are far from Canada Place and all should shuttle you to the pier. So if Budget doesn't shuttle or does not hit the bid don't be afraid of trying someone else. By the way Hertz does have a counter in the Pacific Central Station where Amtrak comes in....it is just that I never have any success getting a decent rate from Hertz....but worth a try...1 800 263-0600

That was a great suggestion...I even got a decent rate...only $9 higher than Budget. The only problem is that I called the Hertz Gold Club office and they don't offer a shuttle to the pier and the closest drop off point is the Empire Landmark Hotel. Mapquest has it at .96 miles from Canada Place. What's the cab rate from there...or what kind of walk would that be? Is the Skytrain a possibility? I just really like the idea of getting off the Amtrak train with the girls and the luggage and getting right into a car. The next day I can drop the girls off at the pier and then return the car and find my way back to CP.

I called Budget and their national people have no idea if the West Georgia location has a shuttle...I got the local number and will call them tomorrow.

Urban Trekker

I'll also double check with the local hertz office...Thanks!

Edited by ukbballfan

By all means call the local Budget office I would be surprised if they don't offer a free shuttle as they do have a kiosk at Canada Place and I know that I have checked with them within the past 8 mos and this was the case. As for the Landmark hotel, about a pleasant, safe 10 (about) block walk or a $10 to $12 cab ride.

Forgive me if this has already been asked and answered....:confused:

Would it pay to purchase wine in Seattle for the cruise, and pack in the luggage for the train ride to Vancouver? Are there any customs rules that would prohibit doing this??

Thanks

Forgive me if this has already been asked and answered....:confused:

Would it pay to purchase wine in Seattle for the cruise, and pack in the luggage for the train ride to Vancouver? Are there any customs rules that would prohibit doing this??

Thanks

Yes it would make a huge amount of sense to purchase your wine in Seattle rather than in Vancouver. Our alcohol products can be as much as twice that paid in the US....we pay a big "sin tax" on booze. As for Canadian customs regs....each adult over the age of 19 (that is correct 19) may bring in duty free 1.5 litres of wine so two .750 litre bottles each. That acording to my calculations should get you to your first stop in Alaska.:D

Yes it would make a huge amount of sense to purchase your wine in Seattle rather than in Vancouver. Our alcohol products can be as much as twice that paid in the US....we pay a big "sin tax" on booze. As for Canadian customs regs....each adult over the age of 19 (that is correct 19) may bring in duty free 1.5 litres of wine so two .750 litre bottles each. That acording to my calculations should get you to your first stop in Alaska.:D

Thanks so much - that will be the plan! :D

Forgive me if this has already been asked, but how secure is the US direct service on arriving air passengers? I'm concerned about the airline removing the tags accidentally. Also how do you confirm they've grabbed your bags properly?

Please elaborate. Is US Direct a luggage transfer service? Does it work both ways? We are arriving on Celebrity Mille 7am 7/10 (Ballantyne, unfortunately) and flying out of YVR 6pm. It would be great to be free of baggage for the day. Can we use them? How do I find out more info?

Please elaborate. Is US Direct a luggage transfer service? Does it work both ways? We are arriving on Celebrity Mille 7am 7/10 (Ballantyne, unfortunately) and flying out of YVR 6pm. It would be great to be free of baggage for the day. Can we use them? How do I find out more info?

Here is a link to the US Direct program....Yes it works both ways but does require a ships transfer. It is not a luggage service, in the sense that you can't send your luggage to the airport and pick it up some hours latter. Basically what it is a program where you and you luggage travel in an "in bond" situation directly from airport to ship or visa versa so that you do not have to clear Canadian or US customs in either direction.

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/about/cruiseandtourism/usdirectprocess.aspx