Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

There are no hotels near the train station that anyone would stay at - it is located in an older industrial part of downtown but is only a $10.00 cab fare to the downtown hotels and the downtown hotels would be no more than a $10.00 fare to Canada Place.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks for all of the good Amtrak information, Ut. DH was very excited to learn that we most likely will get to see some of the Rockies. We were afraid that we would be traveling though them during the evening hours.

We looked at the diagram of the cars so knew about the showers/washrooms. We thought about getting a larger room, but the cost was prohibitive for only two of us. We' ll just have to deal with it.

How was the food in the dining room? Have heard conflicting reports.

One final thing...we need to know our exit from Union Station. Hmmmm. Guess I need to chat with someone about that. I wonder who.

Thanks again. I appreciate the info.

Becky

As for food it really depends on taste - I am one of those that any meal that I don't cook or prepare is better than anything I do prepare - if you are a foodie or gourmet food type you will be disappointed - there is only so much that can be prepared in the kitchens on the train - for dinner there will be a couple of daily specials and another three or four items to select from - you will get a salad, main entree and a dessert, non alcohol beverages are included - I fine the meals to be a good size as I am one who likes a big meal - just a tip if it says chips on the lunch menu it will be potato chips and not french fries. If you want to eat in your roomette you can order it from your room steward and he will bring it for you.

The dining car will be anywhere from one to three cars from your roomette - in addition there is a lounge car where you can buy snacks and burgers etc as well as liquor.

It is an unwritten rule that you leave a tip after each meal - how much has never been fully explained to me but I generally leave $1.00 after brekkie and lunch and up to $5.00 for dinner.

People usually also leave a tip for the steward when disembarking the train - once again how much is unclear but I generally make it $5.00 for each day so for your trip it would be $10.00

You will also get a newspaper under your roomette door each morning - sometimes it is US News and World but generally from one of the towns that was passed during the night.

Coffee and bottled water are available in each sleeping car.

Union Station takes up a couple of city block - mostly underground - it is a city within a city with shops and eateries - not as elaborate as Union Station in DC but still a maze. You are right by the Chicago river.

As for exits I can't help you there as I usually just check my carry on luggage in the first class lounge and then find an exit to the street and then just go for a walk. You might want to try a google search for Union station and see if there have the exits showing.

Hope this helps further.

Cheers

Dennis

Cheers

Thanks for the information, Ut. Once again provided valuable details...such as the tipping info. Didn't think to ask that.

Found the map of Union Station last night and looked up our hotel which is adjacent to O'Hare. Looks like we will be on the L--with luggage! Going to chat with a neighbor who recently moved here from Chicago. Perhaps she will have another idea.

One more question and I will let the Vancouver questions begin again. What is the accepted dress in the dining car for dinner? We had not planned to have many clothing options with us since we planned to check our big bags.

Thanks again for your help.

Becky

I have never noticed any dress code for the dining cars - people seem to be dressed casually and you need to remember that people in the coach cars can eat at the going rate in the dining cars if there is space available. My travel has been in the fall or winter so just what attire people wear in the warmer weather I can't help with. In my case especially on the return or homeward bound ride it is likely to be what is clean.

Hope this helps and we locals don't m ind answering the questions - it gives some of us who are retirees something to do.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi

Have seen so many beautiful pics of Vancouver, where do you think the best spots are for picture taking. I am a mountain person! We will have a rental car.

Also, I am looking for a 3 star hotel..between Vancouver and the airport. Suggestions?

Will be dropping the rental car back at the airport...and then heading to Ballantyne Pier. Is the taxi my best option? thanks for the help!

OK .... we just received a call from Amtrak saying that they have changed equipment for the May 6th evening train VAC-BEL (SEA) .... Vancouver-Bellingham (Seattle), they are now going to have the superliner equipment (but for that day only, as our May 9th BEL-SEA still has business class) so there will be no business seats on May 6th. What time should we be at the train station now? There will be 3 of us, and 2 of us are not the fastest people on earth .... and we would like to sit together. We can each take turns waiting in line, but how early do you think the line will start? Any suggestions .....

Thank you!

Hi

Have seen so many beautiful pics of Vancouver, where do you think the best spots are for picture taking. I am a mountain person! We will have a rental car.

Also, I am looking for a 3 star hotel..between Vancouver and the airport. Suggestions?

Will be dropping the rental car back at the airport...and then heading to Ballantyne Pier. Is the taxi my best option? thanks for the help!

For me and since you are a "Mountain person" it would have to be Deep Cove and Quarry Rock. Quarry rock is an easy and short hike. You don't need any special equipment - just a pair of runners will do. very popular with locals. Make sure you stop by Honey's for a doughnut afterwards!

But really you can get some great views from any of the local mountains...Grouse, My Seymour, or Cypress. Grouse will cost you a few bucks to get the gondola up, but the other two are free.

OK .... we just received a call from Amtrak saying that they have changed equipment for the May 6th evening train VAC-BEL (SEA) .... Vancouver-Bellingham (Seattle), they are now going to have the superliner equipment (but for that day only, as our May 9th BEL-SEA still has business class) so there will be no business seats on May 6th. What time should we be at the train station now? There will be 3 of us, and 2 of us are not the fastest people on earth .... and we would like to sit together. We can each take turns waiting in line, but how early do you think the line will start? Any suggestions .....

Thank you!

I talked to Amtrak today and boy are they messed up! The person I talked to did not know about the equipment change and she had to go check.

She said that there is no snack bar or dining car on the superliner????? Also they can't give refunds without exchanging tickets, so I guess that will have to wait until we get to the station.

I hope someone comes by and answers about the time we need to be at the station to get two upper level, right side tickets together.

pizzalady1 ... do you have the actual "printed hard copy Amtrak ticket"s in your hands ... if not, I would call Amtrak back ... they credited our BClass tickets back to our credit account yesterday, and then sent me email confirmation with that and our new itinerary showing only coach on that segment.

If you haven't picked up/received the hard copy tickets yet -- they can do everything by phone -- I believe it's only if you have the hard copy printed tickets that they need those original tickets back before they can do anything.

I'm also wondering what check-in time frame would be best now that they will only have 1 line, instead of 2.

Good info about no dining or snack bar on the train --- I hadn't even thought about that, as all of the Superliners we've been on did have at least one!

As for Amtrak being messed up ... "bless their hearts"!

pizzalady1 ... do you have the actual "printed hard copy Amtrak ticket"s in your hands ... if not, I would call Amtrak back ... they credited our BClass tickets back to our credit account yesterday, and then sent me email confirmation with that and our new itinerary showing only coach on that segment.

If you haven't picked up/received the hard copy tickets yet -- they can do everything by phone -- I believe it's only if you have the hard copy printed tickets that they need those original tickets back before they can do anything.

I'm also wondering what check-in time frame would be best now that they will only have 1 line, instead of 2.

Good info about no dining or snack bar on the train --- I hadn't even thought about that, as all of the Superliners we've been on did have at least one!

As for Amtrak being messed up ... "bless their hearts"!

Yes, I have the hard copy tickets, so I have to add more to do's at the station. We planned on going to the station to leave our bags as soon as we disembark, so I'll take care of the ticket thing there. My husband is pretty sure there will be a snack bar on board, but we may just pick up something from Granville Island before going back to the station at whatever time.

I just hate firm plans coming undone!

It is so frustrating! We are planning on walking to the Ferry Building Market when we dock in San Francisco. The SFC (Amtrak San Francisco City stop) is right there, so we may pick up our tickets there ... it is the only staffed station in the city.

OK .... we just received a call from Amtrak saying that they have changed equipment for the May 6th evening train VAC-BEL (SEA) .... Vancouver-Bellingham (Seattle), they are now going to have the superliner equipment (but for that day only, as our May 9th BEL-SEA still has business class) so there will be no business seats on May 6th.

We received this call for our Seattle to Vancouver morning train on May 15th, I'm bummed out :( I checked on the Amtrak site and it says Business Class is sold out, you would think it would say "Unavailable".

She said that there is no snack bar or dining car on the superliner????? Also they can't give refunds without exchanging tickets, so I guess that will have to wait until we get to the station.

I was told that they could give us the credit onto our credit cards for busines class over the phone, and they reissued the ticket to scan at the podium so we won't have to wait in line. If you don't do it over the phone, you have to wait in line to go to the window to get your tickets and refund.

Yes it it Wavesprite ... I think you and I were able to have the credit done over the phone because we did not have "hard copy printed tickets" -- just the email confirmations, whereas pizza lady1 has the printed tickets.

I would "guess" that Amtrak shows the BClass as "sold out" so that people just checking now wouldn't know that there is a substitution of equipment. It sure makes BClass look more popular!

Yes it it Wavesprite ... I think you and I were able to have the credit done over the phone because we did not have "hard copy printed tickets" -- just the email confirmations, whereas pizza lady1 has the printed tickets.

I would "guess" that Amtrak shows the BClass as "sold out" so that people just checking now wouldn't know that there is a substitution of equipment. It sure makes BClass look more popular!

I'm bummed about them changing equipment on us.... :(

We also got the dreaded information from Amtrak re our May 8 evening trip to Seattle. We are now thinking about changing our reservation to the bus. It leaves earlier in the afternoon and arrives at a more reasonable hour. I understand from putterdude or others that you still have some views of the water on the bus.

Still bummed at Amtrak, though.