Tell me how

Sea and Me

We're cruising on Mariner in just 2 weeks and flying on JetBlue so we're not yet subject to the limitations, but I'm having packing issues nonetheless.

We live in NW NJ and are flying out of JFK in NY. That wouldn't be a big deal (have a full sized car) but my mom is coming with us. So now the extra space in the car in case something doesn't fit in the trunk is taken up with a person. And we have to put her suitcase in the car as well. Now, why does a 72 yo woman need a 29" suitcase? I have no idea but she says she does. Then when I talk about eliminating a bag and maybe buying my toiletries in FL the day before, she says, oh, I can take your stuff in my bag. Gee, mom, if you have room for my stuff, you're suitcase is too big. She didn't like that. :rolleyes:

So DH and I share a 28" suitcase, my 2 sons share a 27" suitcase, we're trying to eliminate the garment bag (and pack the formal night clothes in either a carry on or one of the other bags), hopefully put the toiletries in ziplock bags in one of the cases or in mom's bag, and 1 bag for shoes (dh's dress and casual shoes, boys' shoes, water shoes for all, my casual sandals, dress shoes and workout shoes). If I can spread the shoes around, I can dump that bag too.

So I'm facing a space issue rather than cost issue. By the time we fly again as a family, it will be August and we're heading to Disney. We'll have a washer/dryer and I never pack more than 3-4 days stuff anyway. But being on the cruise with no self laundry facilities makes it harder.

For all of the people who say they will use the laundry/cleaners on the cruise, if it ends up costing as much, isn't it worth it to just pay the $25 each way and take the extra bag? I know that laundry isn't cheap and on one of the days, we had that laundry bag special...stuff smaller items like underwear, socks, tshirts into one bag and pay 1 price. I think it was around $20 or so which means that if you have to do that twice, you might as well pack the second checked bag.

I am with 'cruisinisforme' :o I change my clothes three times a day and never really know what I might be in the mood for (or what will fit this week).

I have a pair of suitcases that nest, and was worried that the 7 pairs of shoes I need are not going to fit with the smaller bag. So I have played with the idea of bringing two large pieces. I am happy to hear that the beds lift- How much clearance do you get? On our last (and only) cruise, DH's hard sided luggage wouldnt fit anywhere in our tinsy room. I had to set it in the shower while we werent using it.

Anyway, I cant possibly imagine planning EXACTLY what to wear for seven days- I have all my dinner clothes planned, but for daytime I just want to make sure that I am clean and have many choices. I am going to rethink some of the odd things that were suggested (I HAVE been shopping around for the over the door shoe storage thingy-- hmmm)

To get all of my things in a case, I do roll it up- also, like 'lady gamecock' I send my clothes to the concierge when we travel for drycleaning.

To my knowledge the beds don't "lift". You can slide things under them but if they lift, that's something I never knew. Anyone know for sure?

On my first cruise, I overpacked, not anymore. Last year on a 14 day cruise I had one suitcase and a carryon and made out fine.

Since we are possibly planning a 14 day cruise I had a couple of questions for you. Did you go to formal night? Did you need to have clothes cleaned while on board? Depending upon your answer you get the "best packing" award.

With our planned 2008 Hawaii Cruise in Oct slowly approaching, and reading all your packing suggestions, I began to rethink my planned attire and see if I could down size. I decided I needed less evening slacks, dresses were already emliminated, biggest issue came with my shorts and extra blouses and trying to mix n match. I need to improve my shorts vs blouses shopping. All in all I think I have it refigured now. Flying won't be needed on this cruise as we can drive to San Diego. Thank you for giving me some clues, not thought of.

I have been a notorious over packer over the years, but when the airlines imposed a 50 pound limit, I knew I had to change my ways. The first thing I found, was that I had to learn how to pack efficiently. I found the answers to my quest in the book SMART PACKING FOR TODAY'S TRAVELERS by Susan Foster. This book discusses all aspects of packing from A to Z. Using this method of packing, I had no wrinkling issues. In fact, I did not have to steam or use any anti wrinkling sprays when I unpacked. The web site on Packinglight.net http://www.packinglight.net/plight/text_1.asp?tx_id=78& has a similar packing strategy as this book, but not as detailed. This web site has many products you may want to choose or ideas for reducing your load.

Since I knew I had to reduce the amount of clothes, I then had to decide on what clothes I wanted to bring. While looking at some camping gear, I discovered the clothing they used would be ideal for me. Campers need clothing that is light, attractive, easily washed, and fast to dry. Some sports clothing now offers parallel aspects. Clothing that advertises wicking qualities is ideal fabric due to its light material and quick drying nature. I found that I could easily wash this type of clothing in the sink and it would be dry by the next morning. An added plus is that they usually don't have a wrinkling problem. I discovered I could find shirts, pants, and even underwear in this type of fabric.

As far as washing clothes in the sink, I also borrowed some ideas from campers. I used a product called Camp Soap. It is ideal for hand washing. It is a concentrated soap that is biodegradable. I also found it much cheaper then some of the packet soap products, and not as wasteful. You should be able to find it at your local sporting good/camping stores or online.

As for hanging your newly washed shirts...inflatable hangers are handy.

They allow air to circulate between the front and back of your shirt and that assists in drying times. These hangers are fairly cheap and since they are inflatable, take up little room. I used the ones made by Lewis and Clark. I also found that clothes pins, like Woolite Gentle Care Clothespins, handy. They have little hooks on them that easily hang on the clothes line in your shower. Obviously, your entire wardrobe will include items that need professional cleaning. In those cases, I don't hesitate to have some things cleaned through the ship.

As for suitcases, if you have an older suitcase that needs replacing, now would be the time to do so. Suitcases now are lighter then the ones made a few years ago. Last year, I had to replace a suitcase and I found my new one over 2 pounds lighter. The advantage to that is clear.

Now that you have a plan for packing, you have to test your theory. To do that, you need a luggage scale. I have found that the Balanzza Digital Scale is an invaluable tool for checking the weight of your bags. It is small and accurate. Yes, I know you can use the bathroom scale when leaving, but after a cruise, you don't have that luxury. I remember one day going to the airport after a cruise and finding out that one bag had 52 pounds and the other 47 pounds, and right there in the middle of the airport, we had to shift some items around to make the weight limit. I promised myself that would be the last time that would happen. On my last cruise, someone told me that they took their packed luggage to the spa to weigh their suitcases. I like my digital scale better.

On my last cruise, which was 15 days, I got by with one piece of luggage and a backpack. I thought that was pretty good. Hopefully, on my 13 day cruise in October, I can improve on last year.

Shak

To my knowledge the beds don't "lift". You can slide things under them but if they lift, that's something I never knew. Anyone know for sure?

Yes, you can lift the bed (just a little bit) on the ends and then slide your luggage underneath. That is what we do all the time.

Archived