Reasons not to wear jewelry on shore

annf

I utilize the stateroom safe once onboard. Necklace, watch and rings go into the holding tank. Diamond earrings are a pain in the neck to get off so I keep them in. If someone wants them bad enough, they can have them. I put my items back on for formal dinners. They remain in the safe other than that until we are ready to disembark.

Reminds me of a story. My friend was wearing her REAL rather large diamond ring when a strange man admired it while they were waiting in line at the store or bank or something. She told him ...Yeh, they sell very nice $10 fakes in such and such a store. Looks real, doesn't it? He seemed to have believed that.

You never can be too careful.

I always take my good jewelry with me when we travel. That is why I bought it, to wear it. I never take my studs off, and if we are just shopping in the islands I wear my diamond necklass/bracelet. When we go to the beach, I leave them locked in the safe in the cabin. I also plan to take them with me to Punta Cana this year. I don't wear them to be flashy, I wear them b/c that is why I bought them.

I'm with you. I wear my "nice" stuff every day. When we are on the islands it is in the safe. As you said, I don't wear my stuff to be flashy, I wear it because I paid a lot of money for it and I am going to wear it and not keep it hidden in my safe at home for 'special' times. Otherwise......why spend the money if you aren't going to enjoy it??

I take very little jewerly when I travel......because I would be so mad at myself if a diamond fell out or I lost a piece........ I don't want to spend my vacation looking for the lost piece or being mad at myself....if I don't have it, no worries.

That's actually a smart thing to do. ;) I always think of turning my wedding ring around to the inside of my hand when we're on planes. Don't know why, but I think, "If we get high-jacked, I don't want them to see this!" lol

:o

I always do this on a plane or on the subway!

I take very little jewerly when I travel......because I would be so mad at myself if a diamond fell out or I lost a piece........ I don't want to spend my vacation looking for the lost piece or being mad at myself....if I don't have it, no worries.

I don't wear my stuff ashore either, but for stones falling out etc? That's what insurance is for!

I always do this on a plane or on the subway!

I don't wear my stuff ashore either, but for stones falling out etc? That's what insurance is for!

My question to all those who say "that is what insurance is for" have you ever made a claim?"

It is not as easy as one might think.

Also Money cannot replace the sentimental value or the time that will have to be spend to replace it. At least if I am at home when I loose something I know it might turn up or I can follow my tracks of where I have been, losing something on a trip decreases the odds of return. Just MHO.

But another component of wearing it on shore is, in my mind, a question of respect. As has been pointed out, one person's jewelry is probably more than most people make in a year in many of the ports.

That is the reason I took all of my jewelry off in ports-how could I haggle on souvenir prices while wearing more money in jewelry than some of those people make in a year?

In Cozumel I forgot to take the diamond studs out of my 2nd piercings in my ears and lost one while snorkeling :( They were just 1/2 carat studs, nothing I had insured :( Oh well, part of me will forever be in Cozumel :)

There is no easy answer. I bought my fairly expensive Tag Heuer wrist watch for 3 factors. It keeps extremely accurate time, it's waterproof and I like the looks. When I'm on a shore excursion I do want to know the correct time and I'm frequently in the water and want a watch that is waterproof. I'm not going to take it off. At the same time it isn't necessary to flaunt it and I can reverse it on my wrist so the watch and more attractive part of the band is on the inside of the wrist and less visible.

And in certain places, like Columbia, I plan to leave it on the ship.

Archived