Most ships in port at once

CruiseChronic

I see on CruiseCal.com that there are 10 cruise ships at Cozumel today. That looks to me like the cruisers' version of The Perfect Storm. Anyone know what the record is for most large cruise ships visiting a port at once? (I'd search the forum, but search is temporarily down.)

Also, did anyone else notice that the Grand Princess bridge cam claims that they are "Adrift off Cozumel"?

grand_bridge.jpg.bcf4ab5ecba79eeda3830c0eebab4ee0.jpg

We have visited ports with 10 ships all there at once before, what a nitemare that is. Once you get onshore, you can barely walk down the sidewalk it is so crowded.

Last summer we decided to sail in August on the Caribbean Princess, and every port we visited, we were the only ship there, except for one where there were two ships, I think that was in St. Martin. I think it spoiled us from now on so we check closely before booking cruises.

During certain seasons, the ports in the Caribbean are so crowded anymore, it kind of takes all the fun out of it for us. :(

Our roll call has been watching when the Grand calls on Cozumel since we board in about 3 weeks! We saw the "Adrift" status this morning. Have never seen that before.

There will be 8 ships when we made that port. Seems like if there are around 6 or less, Grand will dock. More than that and they tender.

10 ships is crazy for a little island like Cozumel!

I got into a cab in Cozumel in March 2005 and asked the driver what's the greates number of ships in port on one day. Get this.... he said 14! I asked how many were in port that day. 14! Obviously not all were docked, we were tendered. It was nuts. Had to wait several hours to get into a restaurant at 3 in the afternoon. All in all still better than a day at work.

Susan

We were in St. Thomas over the New Years holiday 2 or 3 years ago and there were 10 ships in port. One Princess ship was even anchored in the bay and had to tender in. One of the shop keepers told us there were over 20,000 pax in the town that day! The traffic from Charlotte Amalie to the port was bumper to bumper and barely moved. It was awful!

I have been very lucky I guess. On my first cruise, I think that there were 4 large ships in Cozumel, but that is probably the worst I have seen. Most ports have only been 2 or 3 at same time. I have also tried to go to less common ports like Dominica, Guatamala, etc.

I have never really looked at this when planning a trip, but I think I may need to start doing this. I know I would not want to spend time in a tiny port with 20-25,000 other passengers.

I hate to see what is going to happen once the Genesis vessels start sailing.

I have been very lucky I guess. On my first cruise, I think that there were 4 large ships in Cozumel, but that is probably the worst I have seen. Most ports have only been 2 or 3 at same time. I have also tried to go to less common ports like Dominica, Guatamala, etc.

I have never really looked at this when planning a trip, but I think I may need to start doing this. I know I would not want to spend time in a tiny port with 20-25,000 other passengers.

I hate to see what is going to happen once the Genesis vessels start sailing.

I don't think there are many ports in the Caribbean that will be able to handle thew RCL Genesis ships Up to about 6400 passengers and 2000 crew.

Estimated Inaugural: Fall, 2009

Cruise Line: Royal Caribbean Ship Name: unnamed at this time

Size: GRT: 220,000 tons Passenger Capacity: 5,400 lower - approx 1,000 uppers

Builder: Under construction Aker Yards - Finland

250px-NewClassGenesis.jpg.ba4d23788995128f54878b981cad5dc5.jpg

Archived