Rum Cake in Grand Cayman

cruisin0308

Is there a place where we can sample this cake or has anyone tried it and have a review for me? I'm very anxious to try some, and would like to bring some home as well. Thanks for any help!

While the cruise ships push the Tortuga brand of rum cake, we prefer Blackbeard's Rum cakes that are available in Grand Cayman inside the shopping mall across from the tender pier.

There is is a Tortuga shop located next to the tender pier area where you can sample their cakes.

Blackbeard's also has samples of its brands at a kiosk (at least they were still in a kiosk last time we were there last year) located in the shopping mall.

DH & I have been bringing home various rum cakes to our family and friends for several years now and Blackbeard's brand is still voted the best of the cakes we bring home. (Luckily for DH & me, Blackbeard's is also less expensive than Tortuga and most of the other brands.:) )

Dianne

My favorite is the key lime also. FYI as far as the Tortuga Rum Cakes we have found he prices $$ to be better on the ship then in port the last couple of cruises. Have not tried the Blackbeards might have to do that this trip, leaving in 31 days.

I just went online to the Tortuga website, and it looks like their cheapest rum cake is $25!!! Yikes!! I hope Blackbeards or the ships are cheaper than that, but glad I found that out so I can plan accordingly. I must bring some home. Leaving in 24 days, and counting............

I just went online to the Tortuga website, and it looks like their cheapest rum cake is $25!!! Yikes!! I hope Blackbeards or the ships are cheaper than that, but glad I found that out so I can plan accordingly. I must bring some home. Leaving in 24 days, and counting............

You will not find Blackbeards on the ship, only in the port, as Blackbeards does not advertise (pay the huge @ of $$$$ to be on ship sponsored list) as Tortuga. That's one of the reasons Blackbeards is less expensive than Tortuga.

Dianne

I just went online to the Tortuga website, and it looks like their cheapest rum cake is $25!!! Yikes!!

I've bought rum cakes in their store for much less than that. There's three packs of the smaller cakes at a pretty good price.

Also, watch the freshness dates if you buy off the ship. Sometimes they're cheaper 'cause they've been around a while...

Thanks for all of the info. on the Rum Cakes!!! I'm copying and pasting the info. so I can bring it with me. I'm glad the cakes are better priced on the island, that makes me happy, cuz $25 is not cheap for a food item! The Rum Cake must be very good since I'm getting lots of good feedback on the subject.

Thanks for all of the info. on the Rum Cakes!!! I'm copying and pasting the info. so I can bring it with me. I'm glad the cakes are better priced on the island, that makes me happy, cuz $25 is not cheap for a food item! The Rum Cake must be very good since I'm getting lots of good feedback on the subject.

You can store rum cakes in a cool storage area like a basement or garage for several weeks after purchase or in your freezer for many, many months. Have frozen rum cakes and defrosted them after a year in the freezer and they are still as good as when they were purchased.

I'm thinking we paid about $17.50 for the really large Blackbeard's rum cake in Grand Cayman. Our favorite, and favorite of our friends, has been the Hurricane rum cake Blackbeard's makes. It's like a marble cake of vanilla and chocolate. We also like the pina colada, key lime, original - heck, about every variety them make.

Blackbeard's also makes small, individual size cakes and sells them in packs of about 6 of multiple flavors.

Dianne

Dianne, thanks for the additional information. I definitely have to buy some of these cakes. $17.50 sounds alot better than $25, but I'm glad to find out the prices before we go. They all sound wonderful, and I would like to try them all. My husband doesn't like coconut, I guess that means more for me on that kind :) . I'm going to bring a few home and freeze them for later. Thanks again, I really appeciate all of the input on the Rum cakes.

We sampled tortuga cake and loved it, but like others did not purchase any because of the price. So when I got home I googled for a recipe and did find one that uses a yellow cake mix so it is very easy. I have made many rum cakes now and they taste just as good as the ones I tried in GC. Now all I need to do is find a way to put a beach, ocean, and palm trees at my house and I won't need to go anywhere.:D

We sampled tortuga cake and loved it, but like others did not purchase any because of the price. So when I got home I googled for a recipe and did find one that uses a yellow cake mix so it is very easy. I have made many rum cakes now and they taste just as good as the ones I tried in GC. Now all I need to do is find a way to put a beach, ocean, and palm trees at my house and I won't need to go anywhere.:D

Would you mind posting the recipe???

On Carnival Fantasy 2/4/08 I bought two -six packs of

4 oz. Tortuca rum cakes, It is like a variety pack. Six different flavors. It was I think either $25.00 or 29.00.

JimmyJames

Well that seems like a good deal. I hope NCL has something similar.

Would you mind posting the recipe???

This is very quick and easy. My one comment is to make it 1 day in advance. If you try it right away you may catch a slight buzz;) But after 1 day it is great.

Rum Cake

1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

1 box yellow cake mix

1 small package instant vanilla pudding mix

1/4 cup water

3/4 cup dark rum

1/2 cup oil

4 eggs

1 tsp Vanilla

Secret Sauce

1/4 cup water

1/2 cup dark rum

1 cup sugar

1 stick real butter

1. Preheat oven at 325 F.
  2. Grease and flour a bundt pan
  3. Sprinkle walnuts over the bottom of the pan.
  4. Blend dry cake mix, dry pudding mix, water, rum, oil and eggs for 2 minutes.
  5. Pour over walnuts in pan.
  6. Bake for 1 hour
  7. Prepare Secret sauce 10 minutes before cake is finished baking.
  8. Combine water rum, water sugar and butter in to sauce pan. Heat over medium heat, stirring until boiling.
  9. Boil for 2 minutes stirring occasionally.
  10. Remove cake from oven.
  11. While in pan, gently stab cake with sharp knife.
  12. Slowly pour sauce over cake (will look like too much sauce, but cake will absorb it)
  13. Let the cake cool completely in the before removing from pan.

This is very quick and easy. My one comment is to make it 1 day in advance. If you try it right away you may catch a slight buzz;) But after 1 day it is great.

Rum Cake

1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

1 box yellow cake mix

1 small package instant vanilla pudding mix

1/4 cup water

3/4 cup dark rum

1/2 cup oil

4 eggs

1 tsp Vanilla

Secret Sauce

1/4 cup water

1/2 cup dark rum

1 cup sugar

1 stick real butter

1. Preheat oven at 325 F.
  2. Grease and flour a bundt pan
  3. Sprinkle walnuts over the bottom of the pan.
  4. Blend dry cake mix, dry pudding mix, water, rum, oil and eggs for 2 minutes.
  5. Pour over walnuts in pan.
  6. Bake for 1 hour
  7. Prepare Secret sauce 10 minutes before cake is finished baking.
  8. Combine water rum, water sugar and butter in to sauce pan. Heat over medium heat, stirring until boiling.
  9. Boil for 2 minutes stirring occasionally.
  10. Remove cake from oven.
  11. While in pan, gently stab cake with sharp knife.
  12. Slowly pour sauce over cake (will look like too much sauce, but cake will absorb it)
  13. Let the cake cool completely in the before removing from pan.

That's the same recipe that I found online, called the Golden Rum Cake. I'm going to make it tomorrow, so I'll submit a reply after it's consumed.

Archived