To those who have taken day sails from Red Hook

Carnival Game

We have booked a full day sail with Rumbaba because I've read great reviews. However, I'm having second thoughts thinking about time restraints. We need to be at the Yacht Club in Red Hook at 9:15. The boat returns there at 3:30 and we should be back on the ship at 5:00. I'm worried about the taxis waiting for others before leaving or making other stops and it could be rush hour traffic coming back. I believe we are the only ship in St. Thomas though, which could make a difference. Anyway, since I'm in no condition to sprint upon exiting the taxi I'm wondering if I should switch to Jolly Mon or Island Girl (which also get favorable reviews) that leave/return right at the cruise dock. They're the same price (but will actually be less without the taxi fare) and it would be less nerve racking. Also, I'd be able to enjoy a painkiller or other good drinks without worrying about finding my way back. Do you think I should switch?

We sailed with Bobby in January when there were about five ships in town. Had no problems whatsoever getting back to town. There was a taxi driver at the dock waiting for the Rumbaba to come back in and they took us back to Havensight. There was no traffic, I don't know exactly what time we got back to the ship but I think it was around 4:00PM. Talk to Bobby if you still have concerns, you do not want to miss this wonderful day, it was the best!!!

I agree, you should have no problem getting back with plenty of time to spare. If you have a cell phone I would bring Bobby's number with you. If you get stuck in traffic like we did coming from Crown Bay and with a couple of stops along the way it might get close. We called Bobby and let him know we were on our way. He won't leave without you if he knows your coming.

A better idea would be to pre-arrange transportation both ways. Whenever we stop in St Thomas we use Donovan. You don't have to share the cab with other folks. He'll pick you up at the pier and will be waiting for you when you get off the Rumbaba. His cell # 340 998 9021, home 340 775 2729.

Do not cancel with Bobby and Wendy- you miss out on a terrific day

I have a cell, but I thought they didn't work in the Caribbean. Or do I have to call my provider and make special arrangements? I hope it's not like $2.00 a minute to call Donovan.

Also, I recently read that taxis don't pick up/drop off right at Havensight anymore...that you have to walk about ten minutes down the road. I'll be exhausted after that boat trip!

Check your cell phone provider's website. Verizon works fine in St Thomas and San Juan. Other than cruise tours no cabs are allowed inside the pier area. You have to walk through the mall to the outer parking area to find the cabs, a quarter mile at most.

If you want to use Donovan I'd call him before your cruise, don't wait until you get off the ship. His home is about 20 minutes from Havensight

All cells normally work in St. Thomas as well as San Juan since they are US Territories. I have Alltel DH had Nextel. They both worked great in both locations. Sun Com does too. That's why they have just area code plus the 7 digit #. St. Martin is different they won't work there.

As for the Daysail. I've heard Bobby is awesome. We used www.sailhighpockets.com with Kathleen a few weks ago. She has no minimumn number of people(6 is the max). If you have 4 she will arrange for a driver to pick you up at the dock. It was $10.00 per person each way. She then had a driver meet us for the pick up at Red Hook. On the way over they may try to stop you on the mountain at a sight seeing place/trinkets to buy. We told our driver to go straight to Red Hook.

We were on Princess & we have friends on Carnival this week. both ships set the clock up an hour to St. Thomas time. It gets kind of confusing but you should have plenty of time. There was no traffic coming back. I even had 2 hours at the strawmarket to kill. I was too tipsy however to stay long. I would have bought way more stuff then I had luggage for.

I'd be much more relaxed enjoying those mixed drinks on the way back if I knew I'd be let off right at my ship and not have to take another mode of transportation back (and I might have to pee badly from the drinks!) :eek:
If I was that concerned, I'd switch to one of the 'sailings' directly from the pier! :rolleyes:

No sense in worrying about the 'transportation issues' if it might spoil your day! :p Besides, it will free up some space on the Rumbaba, and I've heard they are booked solid for quite a while..:D

I'd be much more relaxed enjoying those mixed drinks on the way back if I knew I'd be let off right at my ship and not have to take another mode of transportation back (and I might have to pee badly from the drinks!) :eek:

They will take you straight back to the ship. We just wanted to shop a little. When we were ready to go the taxis were all lined up. it was less then 5 minutes back to Crown Bay. Less for Havensight. There is also a pit stop the driver can make on the way back(from Red Hook). Clean bathrooms & the coldest beer I had the hole week. I think they take you two different ways going & coming back. It took 1/2 the time coming back.

So do the taxis drop you right back at the ship or a designated dropoff that's a 10 minute walk (for a slow walker) the remainder of the way?

Yes, they drop you off right at the gate. It's a 5 minute walk doing it slow. Do you know the other people booked with you for that day? If so, just get Bobby to bring you back 30 minutes early. You really don't want to miss it. The daysail with Kathleen was by far the best day of our cruise. I've done 13 cruises & I would even go so far as to say it's been the best excursion I have ever taken. The lunch she prepared was better then the meals on the ship. Her rum cake was to die for. I've read that Rumbabas food is pretty awesome as well.

It's really not that far. Most of the daysails have you back to the marina dock at 3:30 with a taxi waiting to take you back. You'd be back by 4:00.

Thanks...

So far, we're the only two people booked on this day sail.

They must have changed things with Rumbaba, they used to would not take a reservation without the 6. If you find you have trouble with that you may want to check with the site I posted earlier with sailhighpockets with Kathleen. She will accept down to 2 people at the regular price.

Good Luck with whatever you end up doing.

They must have changed things with Rumbaba, they used to would not take a reservation without the 6. If you find you have trouble with that you may want to check with the site I posted earlier with sailhighpockets with Kathleen. She will accept down to 2 people at the regular price.

Good Luck with whatever you end up doing.

When we first booked they said four other people were on the boat. Then they e-mailed a week later and said that they cancelled.

I will keep highpockets in mind.

Gracie--I realize the cost may vary for a variety of reasons, but could you tell us what you paid for your sail? I'd like to get a ballpark figure before deciding whether to contact them.

It's $125.00 cash or $135.00 credit card. She will want a credit card # when you reserve it but she does not run it. It's just to protect her in case you were a no show. If your ship deverts for any reason she does not charge you. We also tipped the first mate who served us all day long. That's at your descretion but 10-15% is recommended.

It was worth every penny I spent.

Unfortunately, Highpockets is booked for our visit (just over two weeks away on 3/18) However, Kathleen referred us to the Winifred which sounds very similar for a whopping $10 less. We're going to give it a try and will post here when we return.

It's $125.00 cash or $135.00 credit card. She will want a credit card # when you reserve it but she does not run it. It's just to protect her in case you were a no show. If your ship deverts for any reason she does not charge you. We also tipped the first mate who served us all day long. That's at your descretion but 10-15% is recommended.

It was worth every penny I spent.

We have booked our day sail with Kathleen on April 16th. Are we the only two sailing with her on that day? If there is anyone else sailing, perhaps we could share a taxi to Red Hook.

We have booked our day sail with Kathleen on April 16th. Are we the only two sailing with her on that day? If there is anyone else sailing, perhaps we could share a taxi to Red Hook.

I would e-mail Kathleen back as well & tell her to please share your e-mail address with anyone else that may book for that day so you can contact them & see if they wanted to do that. If you connect up with each other & can agree on a place to meet in case your on different ships the Kathleen will send a taxi for you with 4 people.

As far as the food on Winiferd. it's suppose to be a sweet & sour chicken. I think it's one of those flavors that people either they love or or they hate it. I'm not very partial to sweet & sour myself.

You may want to e-mail Kathleen back & ask her to e-mail you back if she has a cancelation.

Archived