Airfare to Vancouver??

Hi

I was wondering if anyone can suggest a good site or airline to get to Vancouver from Ft Lauderdale in Sept? Is there a better time of year to find reasonable airfare? I am really worried that I won't be able to find anything under $1000 for two. With gas prices at new time highs I am wondering if $1000 is reasonable.

I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

All that I can suggest if the usual, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, and Priceline. However in addition to FFL to Vancouver, try pricing FFL to Seattle then taking the shuttle from Seattle to the Vancouver cruise terminal, then when you are finished your cruise you and do the reverse. Most of the cruise lines also participate in the “US Direct” program which you can find on the Port of Vancouver website.

Yes definitely check out the pricing for flying via Seattle - it is only a 3 hour shuttle bus ride and the shuttle bus costs $50. each way.

We fly to Florida every year and almost always via Seattle due to the price difference - this year it was $238. rtn each..... vs over $500 out of Vancouver.

If the shuttle bus does not take your fancy you can also check out the Amtrack train but make sure you are heading to Vancouver BC not Vancouver Wash... The nasty part about the train is it only runs once per day and the northbound train leaves SEA at around 7am ...

Hi

I was wondering if anyone can suggest a good site or airline to get to Vancouver from Ft Lauderdale in Sept? Is there a better time of year to find reasonable airfare? I am really worried that I won't be able to find anything under $1000 for two. With gas prices at new time highs I am wondering if $1000 is reasonable.

Firstly, $500/ea really isn't bad. Vancouver is clear across the continent. However, it is cheaper to fly into SEA most of the time. From there you can catch a bus (quickcoach.com) or Amtrak into Vancouver, however the extra time and the costs, may just make it the same as flying into Vancouver direct. I did a quick search and FLL-SEA was in the $400/ret range, and FLL-YVR was around 600.

Of course, check nearby airports. PBI and MIA for your area, and also potentially flying into Bellingham (BLI) just south of the Canada/US border

I strongly suggest checking Orbitz and Kayak for this, but also AirTransat and WestJet, since they don't always show up on other reservation systems (but have VERY limited flights). Remember that there are a lot of fees related to flying in and out of Canada/US. For example most people don't realize that the US government actually charges agriculture. Here is just a summary of the taxes to give you an idea:

• Navcan and Surcharges NAV 15.00
    • The fee for air traffic control in Canada - unlike the US, in Canada it is not subsidized by the government.

[*]U.S.A Transportation Tax US 42.22

[*]Canada Airport Improvement Fee SQ 23.11

• The fee for using the airports in Canada, in particular the one I looked at is flying through two Canadian airports, so there is a fee for using them as well.

[*]U.S Agriculture Fee XA 5.00

• Yes, the fee that you pay the US government to run that dog next to your bag looking for food.

[*]Canada Security Charge CA 8.38

• That's the cost of the guys who searched your luggage, checked you hand luggage, made you take off your shoes so that the whole area has a lovely smell and then made you walk through a metal detector three times until you realized that you are wearing a belt with a belt buckle.

[*]U.S Passenger Facility Charge XF 4.50

• Use of the American airports

[*]U.S. Flight Segment Tax ZP 14.00

• The cost of flying through the US

[*]Canada Goods and Services Tax (GST/HST #10009-2287) XG 1.16

• Value Added tax on the Security Charge and the NAV Canada fee. Basically tax on services provided in Canada

[*]September 11 Security Fee AY 2.50

• That's the cost of the guys who searched you luggage in the US.

[*] U.S.A Immigration User Fee XY 7.00

• That's the fee CBP (Customs and Border Patrol) charges to clear you through immigration in the US.

That's a grand total of: U$122.87 just in user fees.

Just watched a program on sunday about finding good prices on flights.

1. Try on Tuesday Mornings around 6:00 am

2. www.farechase.com was given as a great start for looking up fares.

I hope this helps.

Good luck

I just checked on the above site and put in Sept. dates round trip and was coming up with 568.00 per person 2 stops, to 702.00 per person with 1 stop. A little better than 1000.00 per person.

I second the suggestion for WestJet, but their flights ARE limited. They often have "one day sales" that offer good or great savings. (If we had not already booked our flights we could have saved $300 on their last sale) Check and see if their schedule is suitable to what you need.

Personally, I don't like using Westjet for Florida routes because they go through Toronto which makes your travel day quite long, the shortest is over 11 hrs. In comparison, we flew YVR to FLL on Continental in less than 8. As you've probably noticed, most of the major US airlines (AA, US Airways, United, etc) fly or code share this route as well as Air Canada so it's not like there are no options. As mentioned, Seattle is by far, the more economical choice. On Continentals website you can fly into SEA for about half of what it is going into YVR. It is also pretty early for September air deals. The spring ones out now are only good til June. These will probably be followed by summer deals (limited) and then the fall deals. If you are flying the first week of September don't expect much in the way of deals as college students are heading back to school and flights book up quickly. Another option is Alaska Airlines out of Miami. Bottom line, if you find a fare you're comfortable with and book early, pick an airline that is covered by Yapta for perhaps a refund or credit if the price goes down.

Archived