Punta Sur Excursion--Anyone???

Tinkrbell

I don't know if I can help you or not. My wife and I did the Punta Sur excursion with Carnival. I would think it would close to what RCCL does. We had a get time on the excursion. It really stands out in our mind still to this day as one of the best excursions we have been on. It was our first, but we don't think that that is why we think of it as one of the best. One of the reason was because of the guides. Lewis, Niko and Jose, they helped to make it what it was. They were by far probably the nicest people we have met on any island. On the excursion we saw the marsh land area, a Mayan lighthouse, the present day lighthouse, the Parks education area, spent some time on a beautiful beach, and snorkeled the reef offshore. The best part of the lighthouse was you could climb to the top and go out on the catwalk and have a beautiful view. If RCCL's excursion sounds anything like what I have writen. I think you would have a great time. Good Luck, and I hope that this helps you a little.

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking for specific info about the Mayan ruins across the road on the Carnival Punta Sur excursion you took. Was it worth it? I don't want to see a replica like at Chankanaub or Xcaret, but my sister is not very mobile, and this looks like it would give a view of actual ruins (since she can't really do Altun Ha or Tulum), plus wildlife and snorkeling. Was the walk to the beach on level ground (and short)? Thanks.

I am looking for specific info about the Mayan ruins across the road on the Carnival Punta Sur excursion you took. Was it worth it? I don't want to see a replica like at Chankanaub or Xcaret, but my sister is not very mobile, and this looks like it would give a view of actual ruins (since she can't really do Altun Ha or Tulum), plus wildlife and snorkeling. Was the walk to the beach on level ground (and short)? Thanks.

We went to Punta Sur on our own so I will try to answer your questions about the site itself -

The Mayan ruins are very small. There are small ruins on park road along the ocean. They are nice, but nothing like Lamanai or others. In Punta Sur park there are a lot of birds, iguanas and if you take the lagoon boat tour you might see a croc or two.

The beach at Punta Sur for snorkeling is beautiful. The walk to the beach is flat, but deep sand. The walk is short as compared to walking across the dunes to the beach on Hatteras Island, NC - but no boardwalk across the sand.

Here is a link to some of our photos. The middle row of photos begin our Punta Sur experience. This may help give you an idea of the location.

http://family.webshots.com/album/562534730UAnYJh?start=24

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

punta sur was beautiful. we just did the 'eco jeep and snorkel' trip w/ rccl and it was worth every penny! the tour guides were hillarious, watching my hubby try to remember how to drive stick shift was a laugh, saw plenty of croc's at the observation point, the lunch they made for us was fabulous and the snorkeling/beach couldn't have been any better.

i highly recommend it..here's a couple of pic's

m_ef4d8888349aa99679f9a1fb8617b4d6.jpg m_aba8b8cc67b61080c006a8b2bd11141d.jpg [/url]m_008db952445dd7c646c39d5e63e5b02a.jpg m_396780cd3782f07c1710cb0813ef53c3.jpg m_1603167412a77da562bc27990bac6944.jpg m_d78f6df17a551da37c571c65df02364a.jpg

• 2 months later...
Does anyone know if they have beach chairs and umbrellas? How about bathrooms?

yes they do, on all counts. there are also hammocks! the beach chairs are actually the single piece molded plastic loungers but they get the job done.

• 3 months later...

Terrific pics!! We are thinking about doin the jeep or dune buggy via punta sir, I noticed your pics you had stopped at the peepee station...I want to stop there! that's to cute!! Can you tell me if you all did the Jeep or Dune Buggy excursion?

Debbie

We went to Punta Sur on our own so I will try to answer your questions about the site itself -

The Mayan ruins are very small. There are small ruins on park road along the ocean. They are nice, but nothing like Lamanai or others. In Punta Sur park there are a lot of birds, iguanas and if you take the lagoon boat tour you might see a croc or two.

The beach at Punta Sur for snorkeling is beautiful. The walk to the beach is flat, but deep sand. The walk is short as compared to walking across the dunes to the beach on Hatteras Island, NC - but no boardwalk across the sand.

Here is a link to some of our photos. The middle row of photos begin our Punta Sur experience. This may help give you an idea of the location.

http://family.webshots.com/album/562534730UAnYJh?start=24

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
Terrific pics!! We are thinking about doin the jeep or dune buggy via punta sir, I noticed your pics you had stopped at the peepee station...I want to stop there! that's to cute!! Can you tell me if you all did the Jeep or Dune Buggy excursion?

Debbie

Sorry for the late response - We just got back from a 10 day land-based trip across the Yucatan. (A great trip and a story for another day!)

We drove ourselves - so I can not comment on the Jeep or Dune Buggy excursion. I do not know if you stop at the Pee Pee Station on the excursions. It is located on the Transverse Road - East-side to West-side.

The Pee Pee Station is just s souvenir shop - cute - but just a shop.

Hope this helps!

Archived