Anyone spend the whole day at Chankanaab??

jeanniedc

We're at Cozumel in late March from 9 AM to 4 PM (two adults and two teenagers). We're really having trouble choosing between the following two options: (1) spending the whole day at Chankanaab - we love the beach, and we have a 1:00 Royal Dolphin Swim booked. (2) Taking a cab around the island for a couple of hours, to see other areas, especially the East coast, and then ending up at Chankanaab around noon.

Will we regret it if we don't see the rest of Cozumel? It will be our first and maybe only trip there.

I'd love any feedback from you "experts." Thanks!

When we went to Chankanaab on our cruise, my DD did the dolphin swim and we laid out in the sand for a couple hours. The beach there is rocky and better for snorkling. They have a little man made area with sand. If you want a real beach experience, there are plenty of beaches near Chankanaab. My favorite is Mr Sanchos. It is free and we had chairs and a table. They expect you to buy a drink or two but were never in your face. Later in the day we took a cab around town. We were there until 10:00 PM on one particular cruise. We fell in love with the place and a few months later my DD and I spent a week at the Casa Mexicana on the main street right across from the ocean. I have been back several times since and my last cruise had Cozumel as a port of call. Have fun!

My advice is I wouldnt want to rush around and try to see everything in such a short time. The east side is nice to see but often you cannot swim as they have days of heavy undertow. We spent the day 9-6 doing the trip around the island to Punta sur ,chen rio ,coconuts etc. You could do it in two or three hours but it would be fast paced and not to relaxing. I would stick with your plan and enjoy the west side for snorkelling and the beaches. Chankanaab has lots of beach or sand but as mentioned a rocky entry to the water but that is why their is okay snorkelling there.We spent the whole day at Chankanaab with my 14 year old and she had a nice day she said.

Back in 1999 we spent the entire day here with a little bit of shopping just before we went back on ship. We don't like to rush around...would rather do 1 or 2 things but that's just us. Everyone is different. I would sit the family down and ask them what they prefer to do. Don't forget, they maybe alot of ships in port that day which makes everything (tours, traffic,shopping...) move a bit slower. Go to Cruisecal.com to see how many ships in port, talk to the family and decide together so no one could complain later :p

Archived