NCL's Disney World excursion questions

Silverspoon

We have one day left on our parkhoppers, and we're trying to decide whether to rent a car through Hertz or use NCL's charter bus to get to WDW.

If you've taken NCL's Disney World excursion or used their transfer service, what are the specifics?

• What time were you off the ship and boarding the charter bus?
  • Did you wait long for the bus to fill up with pax?
  • Where did the bus drop you off in WDW?
  • Which parks did the bus drop pax off at first?
  • What time did you finally get inside the park?
  • What time did you have to meet the bus to go back to the ship?
  • If you were a suite pax, were you able to get on the 1st bus?

Thanks for any info you have!

I can tell you a couple of things. There were at least five busses. We ended up on the last one. It was somewhat annoying as it sat there waiting to make sure everyone was on.

On the other hand we were also the last one back. I don't know if we had gotten onto an earlier bus if we could have gotten the last one back. In other words, I don't know if we were assigned a bus or what.

I do know however that the ship did wait for us at the end of the day. Some of us went to Universal, but I went to the Magic Kingdom with my daughter and her friend. We were the very last excursion back and we were late. The thing that is really funny is that we had originally booked a car and were going to do it ourselves. A couple weeks before I decided to just book it through the ship primarily because some wanted Disney and some wanted Universal. In the end, the ship was late by a day getting to Port Canaveral. We all paid a lot to do it through the ship but for US it was worth it.

Good luck on making your decision.

We have one day left on our parkhoppers, and we're trying to decide whether to rent a car through Hertz or use NCL's charter bus to get to WDW.

If you've taken NCL's Disney World excursion or used their transfer service, what are the specifics?

Thanks for any info you have!

Word of caution - noting the month of your cruise as March 2008 - which week are you on the ship? If it's the Easter week, you might want to think twice about going to WDW.

Other than this, I'm afraid I can't help ... if Port Canavarel was on the itinerary I'd not go on the cruise, let alone go to WDW - preferring to stay in the vicinity and do some shopping and returning to ship early for the rest of a relaxing day.

I just returned from the Gem yesterday. I took the Disney excursion. The cost was $159 per adult. Since the ship arrived in port about 10am. The bus didn't leave till 10:45 am. The trip is about an hour. The bus dropped everyone off at the transportation center. You just choose which park to go to from there. I went to Animal Kingdom. I had to take a shuttle bus from there. I arrived in the park about 12:30 pm. I only had till 5pm to see anything. The bus back to the ship starts to board at 5:45pm The last bus leaves at 6:30pm (that's what they tell us) I was back on the boat about 7pm. Since Animal Kingdom closes at 5pm you won't have any problem with worrying about the time to get back to the buses. But the other parks close later. I waited for over 20 minutes for a shuttle. Keep that in mind. I would say 5 o'clock is the deadline, to start back to the transportation center.

Thanks for the input, cruizinwithkids!

Anyone else?

Also, I've heard they've canceled this excursion when Disney notified NCL they were "too busy"!:eek: Anyone have an experience with cancellation?

Dont know about cancellations but Disney does close when the park reaches capacity. Only really seen it happen during New Years and high attendance holidays, but it can happen.

Also , like the above poster said, seems like you are headed during prime spring season. The parks will be VERY busy and usually I suggest people get there at park opening. If your itinerary has you there on a weekend, it will be EXTREMELY busy. Getting to the park at noon, the busiest time, and having to leave by 5 will not give you much time at all.

I've taken it several times. The big surprise is that the lines have been shorter than I anticipated and experienced years ago when my kids were little.

You can take any bus out and any bus back. So, we make sure we are one of the first off the boat to catch the first or second bus, and always take the last bus back.

We usually get to the park no later than noon. This has given us 5 1/2-7 hours at the park, depending upon the cruise sailing and how much time is allotted.

The bus drops you at Magic Kingdom. Then you must either take the Monorail to Epcot or the bus to the other parks. That is probably the most annoying part of this exercise. Universal is more efficient. It is 15-20 minutes closer to the pier and it is a 5-10 minute walk to both parks from the bus.

I have never been a suite passenger, so I don't know the answer to that question.

It is obviously expensive and the most extravagent thing I do on a cruise ship (I don't pay extra for meals).

I will say if you have never been to Kennedy Space Center, I would do that instead. It's a much better bang for your buck.

I would go to the theme parks on your second cruise with this itinerary.

I just returned from the Gem yesterday. I took the Disney excursion. The cost was $159 per adult. Since the ship arrived in port about 10am. The bus didn't leave till 10:45 am. The trip is about an hour. The bus dropped everyone off at the transportation center. You just choose which park to go to from there. I went to Animal Kingdom. I had to take a shuttle bus from there. I arrived in the park about 12:30 pm. I only had till 5pm to see anything. The bus back to the ship starts to board at 5:45pm The last bus leaves at 6:30pm (that's what they tell us) I was back on the boat about 7pm. Since Animal Kingdom closes at 5pm you won't have any problem with worrying about the time to get back to the buses. But the other parks close later. I waited for over 20 minutes for a shuttle. Keep that in mind. I would say 5 o'clock is the deadline, to start back to the transportation center.

Is the transportation center right outside the Magic Kingdom? I wonder what is the quickest way to get into the Magic Kingdom. I have our tickets already and we're taking the NCL bus. We won't be getting there until around 1:30, but we can stay until they close at 7:00.

You can take either a boat or the monorail right into Magic Kingdom. It only takes a short time (if you take the monorail..the boat usually takes longer..expecially at the times you would be getting to MK). Be sure to take advantage of the free fast passes.

Is the transportation center right outside the Magic Kingdom? I wonder what is the quickest way to get into the Magic Kingdom. I have our tickets already and we're taking the NCL bus. We won't be getting there until around 1:30, but we can stay until they close at 7:00.

Hmmm...I wonder if we should just rent a car? Hertz has after-hours drop off. Problem is, getting a taxi back to the port from Hertz. If we drove, we wouldn't leave the park parking lot until 6:45pm. (I'm sure we'd beat the bus on the way over to WDW, too.)

Why would the last NCL excursion bus leave at 6:30? I thought all-aboard was at 8:30...one hour drive?

Or a towncar service, except I'm paranoid they'd forget to pick us up at WDW to take us back to the ship!:rolleyes:

We frequent WDW about 3-4 x's a year, quite a few times during Spring Break. It's crowded, but if you love Disney, it doesn't matter.:p

• Anyone on the first bus out to WDW? What time did you leave?
  • Anyone on the last bus back to the ship? What time did you leave?
  • What is the price for bus ride/no tickets? Adults? Children? Under 3?

Our ship will be in Port Canaveral from noon to 10PM on 4/29. The excursion time for our WDW transfer is 12:30 to 8:30. The park closes at 7PM that day so I imagine 8:30 is the time we get back to the ship. Our price for the transfers only is $186.00 for 2 adults and a 4 year old. That's $62.00 each, but I'm going to make sure there isn't a child price.

I bought our Magic Kingdom tickets through the WDW web site: adults $71 each plus tax & kids ages 3-9 are $60 plus tax plus another $3.00 S/H fee.

Archived