New To Msc-need Info For Usa Cruises Only

sweet sheep

Hello to all you C C posters. This is really my favorite place to go for information. It is the best for finding out true facts from people who have been there and done that:)

I am getting together a small group on the Orchestra for April 2009. I have been reading some of the MSC posts and I am getting mixed information i believe because some folks are talking about the European cruises and some in the USA. I would appreciate some answers for USA only & thank you!

I have been on many other cruise lines and know what they offer but not MSC. What is included in the cruise cost itself other than the stateroom, main dining, entertainment & etc.?

Do they nickle and dime you like Princess does? What do they charge extra for? I know the specialty dining is extra and the spa of course.

I read on a post that they charge you for ice tea? For bottled water you may not want (just a glass of ice water will do) at dinner time?

What do they mean by ala carte meals where they charge extra for that. How is the personal service? I guess I am spoiled with HAL as they are my favorite and are one of the best.

I would appreciate any input you can give so that i can inform my group and we will know what to expect.

I will thank you all now and keep posting!:)

Which sailing in April 2009 are you taking? I'm looking at the 4/25/09 to Bermuda. Did you get the group discount booking rate of $100pp? Also, were you able to take advantage of the free $100 OBC? Not sure if this was only offered if you booked directly with MSC or not.

I am sailing in April 2009, I have sailed with MSC in the caribbean market only....so I will try to answer some of your concerns,

First they do not charge for ice tea, or water, if you want bottle water that is different.....all lines charge for bottle water.

The ships are very very clean, the crew was wonderful, but know that this is a international line and even thou you will be sailing the caribbean, you may hear different languages if this a problem, you may want a another line.

I don't believe they nickle and dime you.......alot of the cruise lines have gone that way.....its all about money.

I found that MSC is wonderful and bit different from the other cruise lines, if you are looking for something a little different, give it a try.

The orchestra will be making winter of 2009 her home.....she will be offering a little different product when she will be here in the US .....no one really can tell you how she will be here in the caribbean 2009....I have sailed two times on Lirica, I have sailed 42 times with many different lines, and I have my favorites and MSC is one of them.

MSC is running some great rates, reduced deposit, shipboard credit.....and you don't have to book with the line......I would try to find a TA that is offering a group rate...... many other perks that line is offering to TA to get groups to book....... I hope this helps

We were on the Lirica for the 2006 Christmas cruise and had a great time on that ship. My son and my grandchildren were with us and we had a table for 9 in the restaurant.Most of the staff were Italian (spoke English of course) but wre got some extra special service since my wife is of Italian extraction and speaks perfect Italian. The ship was spotless and our cabin service was extraordinary. One of the best things about this ship, in my opinion, is the lack of announcments on the PA system........they don't even remind you about shore excursions, bingo games, other events, etc. You get the daily program and that's it. I have every intention of sailing on MSC again. ;)

I forgot to ask another question. When they do make their announcements do they do it in several languages on US cruises?

Worktocruise8-Only travel agents can get the group prices as they have to guarantee several staterooms. Ask your agent how it works.

Food is something that many people can have the same dish and some will like it and some with not....I found the food to be good to very good on my sailing in Dec 2007, I like the cruise so much we are sailing again March 9, 2008 for 10 days.....I found that MSC had everything that the other lines have, just may be a little different way of presentation......you do not have to pay for ice tea, I know that some are saying this and it is not true......

Some get upset because if you want ice cream for FREE you have to go to the dining room and lunch time, and dinner time and its FREE.....

If you want it other times there is a ice cream stay that sells it, but I have seen it on RCCL with Ben and Jerry's..............so I would try it and see for yourself and you may be very surprised.......I really believe MSC is the BEST kept secret.....for value and a very good cruise experience.....

http://www.msccruisesusa.com/guidaallacrociera/default.asp?guida_id=10&page_id=398#

If you go to the above link some answers to questions. I just found this link.

In one section re the "dining" section it says that room service may have a charge. At least that is what I understood.

Maybe pizza at night is included with the room service charge?

I learn something everytime I log on to CC....this is such a good site.

YES! I think it is really great. I am a bit surprised though, that a foreign line would implement this before many of the lines that normally cruise in the Caribbean, Hawaii, Alaska, and to many US ports.etc.

I had to cancel a 15 member family cruise on X because of an asthsmatic grandchild. That's $40,000 lost by X. We never explored any other line, and abandoned the idea.

I wish the TA would get back to me re our res. We want to do a B2B on Orchestra in Jan/Feb.

Archived