Casa De Campo - Dominican Repulic

joyride

Everyone says to stay on the ship. I read that about Costa Maya and Isla Margarita - and had a good time off the ship at both ports.

So, what is there that is good? Did anyone have a nice time at this port?

<BODY>
Joyride
View my pictures at:
[url="http://community.webshots.com/user/jverette"]http://community.webshots.com/user/jverette[/url]
[img]http://www.bassplayer.ws/joyce/fish2.gif[/img]

CELEBRITY CONSTELLATION SO. CARIBBEAN 11/20/2004
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;11;20;23;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

CORAL PRINCESS PANAMA GIRL'S TRIP 4/7/2005
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;4;7;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

ISLAND PRINCESS - ALASKA REVISITED (Unplugged!) 8/6/2005
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2005;08;06;21;30;00&timezone=GMT-1000[/img]

Sun Princess - Caribbean Medley 4/9/2004
Grand Princess - Eastern Caribbean 8/3/2003
Grand Princess - Western Caribbean 4/6/2003
RCL Radiance - Pacific Northwest 9/2002
Star Princess - Alaska 8/2002
Crown Princess - Fall Foliage 9/2001
Sun Princess - Panama Canal 2000
Carnival Elation - Mexican Riveria 1998
The Old Star Princess - Eastern Caribbean 1997
Sun Princess - Western Caribbean 1996
RCL Viking Serenade - Baja Mexico 1994

• 3 weeks later...
We were there in May of 2003 and had a good time. We did an excursion where we took a boat to an island where they had chairs, snorkeling, goods for sale, drinks, that kind of stuff. I can't remember at all what the name of it was. I was 5 months pregnant at the time so we took it easy. The water is absolutely beautiful, so blue! As far as the dock goes when we were there is was empty. That's about it. Not overly impressed and don't care if I ever go back but we did have a good time.

[color=navy]I have been to the D.R. before and absolutely love it! I was there last year and next month I will be visiting there on Carnival's Paradise. What I have decided to do for my shore excursion is to go on my own by a taxi from the port to the Sunscape Casa del Mar All-Inclusive Resort in Bayahibe. [/color]
[url="http://www.sunscaperesorts.com/casadelmar/about.html"]http://www.sunscaperesorts.com/casadelmar/about.html[/url]
[color=navy]I called the hotel today and it's $30 per person for a day pass. That includes unlimited drinks and lunch buffet and non-motorized beach activities, all I need is to bring my own towel. On the way back to the ship we will stop and do some souvenir shopping also. Remember the Dominican Republic is yet another island of the Caribbean which means it has much natural beauty to explore.[/color]

[color=#000080]Vivian [/color]
[color=#000080][email="vivitampa@hotmail.com"]vivitampa@hotmail.com[/email][/color]
[color=#000080]Explorer of the Seas 12/02[/color]
[color=#000080]Paradise 08/04[/color]

we stopped there last year when we had the kids (7&9) while we were on the carnival paradise and did the following excursion!

Home > Shore Excursions > Shore Excursions for La Romana, Dominican Republic > Catalina Island Beach Break

Print this Page

Enjoy a relaxing morning at beautiful Catalina beach on this ideal family excursion.

This wonderful excursion includes:

A scenic tender ride from Casa de Campo-La Romana to the pristine, secluded beach at Catalina Island.
A beautiful stretch of white sand beach where you can soak up the sun, walk along the shore, go for a swim or relax under a shady palm.
Note: Snorkel equipment and loungers are available for rent on the beach. A buffet and bar are available at an additional cost. Restrooms & changing facilities are also available at the beach.

4.5 hours
$

I am glad we did that excursion as when when pulled into DR it look dirty nasty with all the garbage floating in the water....Catalina Island nice but reccommend bug spray...we got eaten up quite a bit!
hope that helps!
June

Latin Ladies, when are you cruising on the paradise, we are going August 15th. Your suggestion of the club may be perfect. I emailed them for info. How far from the dock is the club ?

June1300 made an interesting comment about bringing bug spray. What time of the year were you there ? I had heard something about Mosquitos but no one has been able to verify that. Did the bugs bite at night or during the day ?

Thanks for your replies.

all I know is when were were out of the water we (all 4 of us) seemed to be getting bit......sometimes even while standing/playing in the water, we would have to dunk under to dodge bites!
Paradise (carnival)last year was great (at least for a family) the kids still wont stop talking about it and are ver mad about us taking Golden Princess aug 15 2004 without them!!!
how dare we????
ooooohhhh I cant wait!
hope you have a great time!
June

Hello Westernbugman.

Us girls will be on August 29th sailing. If I remember correctly it like a 20 minute drive or 20 mile drive from the port. Not far really.

About the bug spray...I went last year in August and had no problem at all with bugs but I was explained that the resort I stayed at always sprayed the grounds for mosquitos. I live in Florida and mosquitos are terrible here, I can imagine out there in the real jungle it's even worse so that's way I am staying in "civilization" (at a resort) but I did already buy a small can of bug spray to keep with me whenever I get off the ship for just in case cause it always good to be safer than sorry.

So many people post iffy things about the D.R. but being Latin myself, speaking the language, having traveled to Cuba, going to the D.R. is no big deal. Just use common sence as a traveler and don't venture out on your own away from touristy areas. It's a beautiful island and beautifully kind people there. It's not America and don't expect America and you will have the time of your life.

Vivian

Hi Latin Ladies,

I'm also going on the Paradise Aug.29th. Look for our thread on roll call. Last summer we went for a week to Punta Cana. The ocean was beautiful and calm and you could snorkel off of the beach. We never got any mosquito bites. I get more bitten here in N.J. Maybe we were buzzed from all the free drinks and didnt notice.

The day pass seems like a great idea. There's 5 of us so it may be too pricey. Do you have any idea how much a taxi would cost to the hotel?

HELLO M SOPHIA

I was told by the resort that it is like $25 from the port to the resort and $25 back. It comes out to not be so bad cause we are 4 single girls all splitting the costs of stuff like that.

We are really all excited. What are you doing in Nassau? Seems like we are going to go to Blue Lagoon Island but buy it when we get to port to save a little money. And then on the way back in stop by the Atlantis and take a look around.

And how about in St. Thomas? We have arranged a private 7 hour tour/transportation by Serenity Tours there.

Hope to hear from you.

Vivian:p

Hi Vivian,

$25.00 is not bad at all. I checked the web site you posted and the resort looks great. I'm so glad you came up with that idea. When we get there Ill buy you a drink.

In Nassau I think we'll go to a beach in Paradise Island. I've been to the Atlantis before and if you're not a guest there you really can't experience the place. My boyfriends's daughter snuck in to the Atlantis from a beach next door but when we checked it out there were so many things they wouldnt let us see. If you haven't been there its worth seeing but it will make you want to stay for a future visit. We stayed at the Comfort Suites next door and had complete use of all Atlantis facilites so it's something for you to consider for your next vacation.

We've been to St Thomas twice. First time we took a cab to St. John ferry. It was a scenic and beautiful ride and the taxi stops at many places for photo ops. St. John was beautiful.

Second time we went to Megan's bay. Megan's bay just as beautiful but no snorkeling. St. John has underwater snorkeling trails. This time we're going to Meagan's bay in the morning and we may get married at bluebeards beach in the afternoon. I dont think you can go wrong in St. Thomas. It's one of my favorite ports. There's also lots of shopping if you like to shop.

[color=darkslategray]HOLA.[/color]

[color=darkslategray]CONGRATULATIONS ON YOU GETTING MARRIED! GREAT WAY TO DO IT--ON THE BEACH, SO VERY ROMANTIC.[/color]

[color=darkslategray]Actually I would love to get married on the beach next time. If I had someone to marry that is.:confused: I figure the third time around I could do it anywhere,anytimeLOL. Just one thing, I really want my little boy to give me away, or walk me. He will be 4 years old next month.[/color]

[color=darkslategray]Anyways I have been in contact with the manager at the resort and she wrote me again today and gave some info about souvenir shopping around there. I would forward you the email but it is in spanish. I will give you her email cause she does write in english also. Tell her you are traveling on the same ship but seperately as Vivian Urra in Tampa and ask her anything you want about your stay there at Casa del Mar. [/color]
[font=Courier New][color=darkslategray][b]Shirley Sánchez [/b][font=Verdana][email="ssanchez@sunscapecasadelmar.com.do"]ssanchez@sunscapecasadelmar.com.do[/email][/font][/color][/font]

[color=darkslategray]She told me at the Jumbo (mall) near the port we can shop there also. That is where we are going to go. Since there we can also shop for some hair products and cook books that some people here have asked us to bring back.[/color]

[color=#2f4f4f]Vivian[/color]

Hi Vivian,

Thanks. I know it sounds romantic but we've been living together for about 3 years so I'm trying not to make too much of a deal about it. I have a 10 year old son and he's not to crazy about the idea. When you have kids involved it's not that easy. I wanted my son to be the ring bearer but he said he'd throw the rings away. I have to bribe him just to attend the wedding.LOL

Thanks for the E-mail address. I'll contact her when it's closer to the cruise. I was also wondering if we'll have time to go to Altos De Chavon. I read good things about it.

Till the Paradise,

Marlene

I was in the Dominican Republic in Dec of 2002. I did a city tour with the ship. There really isn't anything that stands out in my mind, except how filthy the water was when entering the harbor. I've never seen anything like it. Thousands of coke & soda bottles floating in the beautiful ocean. Lots of garbage on the sidewalks & very crowded streets. Big disparity of wealth - very very rich people & very very poor people. Not too much in the middle. Very historic country - that seems to be it's main draw. I never saw a beach, actually or even a resort. I remember that the locals were very friendly. I like to smile & wave at people from the tour bus & they would wave back with genuine warmth. I enjoy doing this when on tourbuses because these people don't have too much contact with Americans & this is my way of making their impression of Americans more friendly. I would HIGHLY recommend not doing a tour on your own. I was watching the tv show called Real TV last week & there was a bizarre incident in the Dom Rep. A driver accidentally side swiped a car so the other driver got out of his car & pulled a gun on him. There was a big stand off & other people got involved. One person was a woman who tried to help the driver still in his vehicle, but the gunman eventually scared her away. I got the impression that this is normal there, so beware!! People driver crazy here so anything could happen. It's probably one of the last places you'd want to be left behind, so I would strongly recommend a tour with the ship or just staying on the ship for some R & R. Have fun though & happy cruising!!

Latin Ladies, thanks for the all of your info. I emailed Shirley and got most of the info i was looking for. Its $30.00 per person for a day pass, and you can purchase it at the front desk. Children under 12 are $15.00.

As for the So. Cal Freeways your right M Sophia, i drive them everday from San Diego to Los Angeles, and nothing beats a good car chase or a bit of road rage. If it happens in the DR it will cure any homesickness i have developed.

This is from their website:

[center][font=Times New Roman][url="http://www.casadcampo.com/en/rates_specials/sports.asp#sports"][font=Arial][/font][/url][/font]

[/center]

[b]GOLF[/b]

[center][/center]

[center]Rates Valid 01/02/2004 - 12/20/2004[/center]

Golf tee-times are confirmed subject to availability. Golfers should request tee-times as far in advance as possible to enjoy Casa de Campo's exceptional golf at preferred times. Tee-times will start on the Teeth of the Dog and Links from 7:30am-9:30am and 12:00pm-2:00pm every 10 minutes; and on Dye Fore from 8:00am- 4:00pm every 10 minutes. No tee-times may be reserved on the day of arrival. Tee-times may be requested via the Resort's website at [url="http://www.casadecampo.com.do/"]www.casadecampo.com.do[/url] or by fax at (809) 523-8800 or e-mail at [email="t.times@ccampo.com.do"][color=#0000ff]t.times@ccampo.com.do[/color][/email].

[url="http://www.casadcampo.com/en/golf/tee_time_requests.asp"]Please reserve tee-times immediately![/url]

[left][b]GOLF COURSE MAINTENANCE CALENDAR[/b][/left]

[left][b][i]TEETH OF THE DOG[/i][/b][/left]
[i]Closed from May 17 to July 11[/i]
[i]Open July 12 to August 22[/i]
[i]Closed August 23 to Sept. 14[/i]
[i]Open Sept. 15 forward…[/i]

We were in this port in early March. We took a cab to Bayhabibe Beach. WE shared the cab with several others and it was about a fifteen minute drive. Beach was very nice. There were little shack type vendors for jewelry, art and coffee and a small restaurant for snack. Very nice. We also , after lunch, took a cab to the Altos de Chevon village where you can take a relaxing walk around, look into shops or have a snack.

I've stayed in the D.R. before and the day pass is worth it. The resorts there are beautiful. The pass includes a huge buffet, unlimited drinks, a beautiful pool, kayaks, catamarans, snorkels, and entertainment. It's not just a beach. Although you should be warned the women are mostly topless. That could be a plus, depending on your comfort level.

Archived