Mykonos - good places to eat/drink

Hi,

We want to go on an excursion to Delos and then spend some time in Mykonos - shopping and chilling out....are there any good places to eat and drink? I have heard the area around Little Venice is charming but would also like to have a view of the famous windmills too.

Any shops not to be missed?

Tinka14

There are a lot of restaurants along the water. The menus are

visably posted so you can check them out. We had our meal

along the water at sunset. For me, our meal wasn't that great

and at 50 euros it was one area where we could have save some

money. If I had to do it all over again I would have eaten on the

ship and then gone back onto land to see the sunset. The

shuttles were running constantly so it didn't take much time to

go back and forth. JMO

Eating & drinking in Mykonos town is expensive, as cat_girl has said; basically, you're paying to occupy that prime location. Although we haven't eaten a meal there, we found that drinks in water-side bars were 50% more expensive in the town than they were at the bars on the beach (Platy Gialos).

That said, the views are stunning. We've visited Katerina's Bar a couple of times that we've been there, and here are the views (June, mid-afternoon) from the terrace over the water:

http://www.*****/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=2702

(If you look at pictures of the Little Venice area, you might be able to see pictures of the terraces of that bar: it's a white building, with "Katerinas Bar" written on the sides of the balconies overlooking the water. Here's one, in fact:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotos-g189430-Mykonos_Cyclades.html . Good spot, but expensive.)

We toured Delos which was terrific then stopped at a waterside Taverna for a snack of Greek bread, cheese and tomatoes along with icy cold Greek Beer. It was a perfect pick-me-up and gave us more time to wander the shops before heading back to the ship for a later dinner.

Review and pics of trip in the links below.

Have a great time.

Kathy:)

Glad you liked the photos. Sunset should be around 8:00pm at the end of April. Mykonos is so pretty. We were lucky enough to get a spot at the Pier at the last moment rather than be tendered. This also made it easier for people going back and forth although you do have to take a shuttle bus from the ship into the town. Our tour tickets for Delos included the shuttle cost.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Kathy

Thanks so much. I wondered if we would have time to eat dinner on the ship and then go back in town for the sunset.

This website:

http://sunrisesunset.com/

will give you times of sunrise & sunset for locations all over the world. I see that on 15 April, sunrise at Athens is at 6:48am and sunset at 7:59pm. Mykonos is a little bit further south than Athens, so I would expect sunrise times to be a bit later, and sunset times to be a few minutes earlier.

Hi,

We want to go on an excursion to Delos and then spend some time in Mykonos - shopping and chilling out....are there any good places to eat and drink? I have heard the area around Little Venice is charming but would also like to have a view of the famous windmills too.

Any shops not to be missed?

Tinka14

We ate on a little square just 1 block from the marina, the Nicolas Taverna, and it was great fun, loud, noisy, busy, great people watching and great food. We went after sunset. Greek food is so luscious that it is wonderful to be able to take advantage of it at every opportunity. It just doesn't taste the same in the States.

We ate on a little square just 1 block from the marina, the Nicolas Taverna, and it was great fun, loud, noisy, busy, great people watching and great food. We went after sunset. Greek food is so luscious that it is wonderful to be able to take advantage of it at every opportunity. It just doesn't taste the same in the States.

This will be our frist cruise in May. Our ship arrives at Mykonos at 20:00 May 21 and leaves 2:00 May 22. Based on other posts about Mykonos, my DW and I will most-likely find a restaurant/taverna in the Little Venice area ( perhaps Nicolas Taverna) and enjoy a Greek dinner, drinks, sites, etc. It sounds like things get started there late, so we hope shops are open late. Can you confirm this? I also understand the view from the windmills is beautiful after dark, so may try that as well. It appears the ship maybe there in time for us to enjoy the sunset.

Any other suggestion on how we should/could spent our short time in Mykonos would be greatly appricated. Thanks

DT

Thanks for the replies - The Galaxy departs Mykonos about 5 or 6pm so it looks like we'll have enough time to go to Delos and then do some shopping even though it may just be window shopping!

Tinka14

Glad you liked the photos. Sunset should be around 8:00pm at the end of April. Mykonos is so pretty. We were lucky enough to get a spot at the Pier at the last moment rather than be tendered. This also made it easier for people going back and forth although you do have to take a shuttle bus from the ship into the town. Our tour tickets for Delos included the shuttle cost.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Kathy

That's great about the Sunset. Our ship arrives at 8pm and leaves at 2am so we weren't sure what we were supposed to do for those 6 hours. At least we will hopefully see the sunset. That is obviously why we arrive at that time specifically for the sunset. We are there in the first week of May.

Thanks. :) :)

• 1 month later...
This will be our frist cruise in May. Our ship arrives at Mykonos at 20:00 May 21 and leaves 2:00 May 22. Based on other posts about Mykonos, my DW and I will most-likely find a restaurant/taverna in the Little Venice area ( perhaps Nicolas Taverna) and enjoy a Greek dinner, drinks, sites, etc. It sounds like things get started there late, so we hope shops are open late. Can you confirm this? I also understand the view from the windmills is beautiful after dark, so may try that as well. It appears the ship maybe there in time for us to enjoy the sunset.

Any other suggestion on how we should/could spent our short time in Mykonos would be greatly appricated. Thanks

DT

I forgot that I left a post here and didn't think to follow up to see whether or not there were any questions. I am bored today and was looking through all of my old posts and found your question. I am so sorry!:eek:

Last summer, we were in Mykonos for a very long day, docked around 1pm and sailing around 11pm. So, I booked a room for the day at Cavo Tagoo. I did pay for an overnight rate, just didn't spend the night. We (2 adults, not good for kids AT ALL), had an amazing day lounging at the pool with a beautiful view of the water, marina and the ship, being served truly expensive drinks poolside. Sunset was incredible. It is a long, but scenic walk from the dock, by the way. The hotel does provide a complimentary shuttle to/from the edge of town, but we wanted to walk. We left as late as we could so that we could eat dinner at the Nicolas Taverna before boarding the last tender to the ship. We didn't do any shopping and we didn't go to the Windmills. This summer, we are doing the same cruise, except with kids. So, we will see Delos for a few hours and wander around town. I have been to Mykonos many years ago and loved wandering around the town, getting lost and enjoying the day. It is not possible to chose to do the "wrong" thing or make a bad choice. There is something magical about being in the Greek Isles. I cannot wait to go back.

I forgot that I left a post here and didn't think to follow up to see whether or not there were any questions. I am bored today and was looking through all of my old posts and found your question. I am so sorry!:eek:

Last summer, we were in Mykonos for a very long day, docked around 1pm and sailing around 11pm. So, I booked a room for the day at Cavo Tagoo. I did pay for an overnight rate, just didn't spend the night. We (2 adults, not good for kids AT ALL), had an amazing day lounging at the pool with a beautiful view of the water, marina and the ship, being served truly expensive drinks poolside. Sunset was incredible. It is a long, but scenic walk from the dock, by the way. The hotel does provide a complimentary shuttle to/from the edge of town, but we wanted to walk. We left as late as we could so that we could eat dinner at the Nicolas Taverna before boarding the last tender to the ship. We didn't do any shopping and we didn't go to the Windmills. This summer, we are doing the same cruise, except with kids. So, we will see Delos for a few hours and wander around town. I have been to Mykonos many years ago and loved wandering around the town, getting lost and enjoying the day. It is not possible to chose to do the "wrong" thing or make a bad choice. There is something magical about being in the Greek Isles. I cannot wait to go back.

Thanks for the reply, we too can not wait to get going on this adventure - less than a month now :) :) :) YES!!!

From all that I have read I'm certain that whatever we finally do will result in a great time and memories.

DT

Thanks for the reply, we too can not wait to get going on this adventure - less than a month now :) :) :) YES!!!

From all that I have read I'm certain that whatever we finally do will result in a great time and memories.

DT

One inexpensive souvenir I bought in Mykonos was "cat-eye" bracelets -- they are suppose to bring luck. Wore my on the Brilliance in January and hit the Royal Flush on a 25cent Progressive Video Poker Machine ($1557) and did the same thing on the Navigator earlier this month ($1507). I am a believer!:D

Kathy

One inexpensive souvenir I bought in Mykonos was "cat-eye" bracelets -- they are suppose to bring luck. Wore my on the Brilliance in January and hit the Royal Flush on a 25cent Progressive Video Poker Machine ($1557) and did the same thing on the Navigator earlier this month ($1507). I am a believer!:D

Kathy

Thanks for the souvenir suggestion - sounds like something that my wife would like and I always could use good luck - hopefully we can find some shopping open as we will not be in Mykonos until after 8 p.m. and the ship leaves at 2 a.m.

DT

Hi all

You can pick up the cats eye bracelets in most of the souvenir shops - they don't cost an awful lot.....as don't the worry beads that you see a lot of Greeks playing with, they make a small souvenir. I love to buy jewellery in the Greek islands as it's quite unusual and different to what I can buy at home.

Tinka14

Hi all

You can pick up the cats eye bracelets in most of the souvenir shops - they don't cost an awful lot.....as don't the worry beads that you see a lot of Greeks playing with, they make a small souvenir. I love to buy jewellery in the Greek islands as it's quite unusual and different to what I can buy at home.

Tinka14

As Tinka14 says, the cat eye bracelets are found in most of the shops; inexpensive and colourful choices. We left the shops around 7:00 and the nightlife just seemed to be starting up so I think as long as there is a ship in port, the shops will be open.

Walk through the maze that is town and on the other side by the windmills you can catch a bus or a taxi to the beach. The beach has bars with couches, benches, comfy chairs on the sand. It's a nice place to drink and enjoy the sun. Pretty sure it was Paradise beach...

http://www.mykonos-web.com/mykonos/images/mapbig_town.jpg

My understanding is you're not missing much by missing Delos.

Walk through the maze that is town and on the other side by the windmills you can catch a bus or a taxi to the beach. The beach has bars with couches, benches, comfy chairs on the sand. It's a nice place to drink and enjoy the sun. Pretty sure it was Paradise beach...

http://www.mykonos-web.com/mykonos/images/mapbig_town.jpg

My understanding is you're not missing much by missing Delos.

I had no idea what Delos was or why it was significant until we started reading about it before our cruise and then on the ship we attended destination lectures about Greek and Roman Mythology etc. Delos is amazing from it's importance in the mytholody to the condition of some of the ruins (photos in the link below). Combined with the mythology is the actual development of Delos which was highly sophisticated. It is one of the most important ruins in Europe and given a chance I would gladly visit it again.

I loved Delos too! We found it be a very fascinating place. Our ship stopped there first and then went to Mykonos so we had the best of both. If you don't care for ruins, then Delos may not be for you. Mykonos is a great place to wander and lose yourself. Very easy to get lost and very easy to un-lose yourself. The shops were very interesting and we had a very nice lunch in Little Venice.

I had no idea what Delos was or why it was significant until we started reading about it before our cruise and then on the ship we attended destination lectures about Greek and Roman Mythology etc. Delos is amazing from it's importance in the mytholody to the condition of some of the ruins (photos in the link below). Combined with the mythology is the actual development of Delos which was highly sophisticated. It is one of the most important ruins in Europe and given a chance I would gladly visit it again.

when you've seen istanbul, ephesus, olympia, and are seeing cairo, athens... the delos ruins are just that. very ruined. important or interseting story aside.

Archived