How do I get the best deal on a cruise?

FatherOfFive

I want to book the Carnival Legend on 12/28 this year. This is the most expensive cruise of the year and I will be bringing my 5 kids, so we will need 2 staterooms.

All the websites I have checked are quoting the standard carnival rates of $1049 for the 1st 2 people and 849 for additional - cheapest staterooms (IS guarantee.) One website says they can give me 15% off this fare because they have a deal with Cruise lines and you can only see these fares if you are a member - membership is free. Seems like a good deal to me - is this how things are done with unpublished fares or is this a bait and switch tactic?

Last time I booked the 2 cheapest staterooms I could find directly with Carnival 35 days before sailing - I know I paid too much, but I really don't know how the game is played. What is your best bet for getting a discount? Carnival will be getting nearly $7000 if I booked thru them - so a 15% discount really sounds like a deal to me. Last time we did the inside guarantee stateroom and it worked great - we ended up with rooms next to each other last time, but adjoining rooms would be better - If I have to pay full retail, I should get some perks. Grandpa and Grandma are coming

and they want me to book it so I would be close to a $8500 booking for some one. :eek:

Should I work with a local travel agent? I do not need any advice on the cruise line or destination or ship - I know all this. I want the best price. I am willing to book early or wait for a sale etc. etc.

What has consistently worked well for you? How much did you save?

-FoF

I want to book the Carnival Legend on 12/28 this year. This is the most expensive cruise of the year and I will be bringing my 5 kids, so we will need 2 staterooms.

All the websites I have checked are quoting the standard carnival rates of $1049 for the 1st 2 people and 849 for additional - cheapest staterooms (IS guarantee.) One website says they can give me 15% off this fare because they have a deal with Cruise lines and you can only see these fares if you are a member - membership is free. Seems like a good deal to me - is this how things are done with unpublished fares or is this a bait and switch tactic?

Last time I booked the 2 cheapest staterooms I could find directly with Carnival 35 days before sailing - I know I paid too much, but I really don't know how the game is played. What is your best bet for getting a discount? Carnival will be getting nearly $7000 if I booked thru them - so a 15% discount really sounds like a deal to me. Last time we did the inside guarantee stateroom and it worked great - we ended up with rooms next to each other last time, but adjoining rooms would be better - If I have to pay full retail, I should get some perks. Grandpa and Grandma are coming

and they want me to book it so I would be close to a $8500 booking for some one. :eek:

Should I work with a local travel agent? I do not need any advice on the cruise line or destination or ship - I know all this. I want the best price. I am willing to book early or wait for a sale etc. etc.

I think I know what website you are talking about and if it is I looked one time and there prices were no better. Anyways that cruise is always very high in price and IMO book it early as it has gone higher as time gets closer. Are you a military veteran? If you are I can point you to where you can save big$$

-FoF

Get on the Conquest Crazy thread and get the number for Johna. tell her what ya want and let her get you on board!!!

I think the best thing is to book further out to get the best prices. Now its already 2008 and prices are going up. Are any of you past Carnival passengers? sometimes that helps.

There are TAs who will discount the rate, but I dont know that I would pay that much for a week in a interior cabin, but New year's is going to be that expensive, only you know if it will be worth it...even if you get a nice discount.

If you are a costco member. I booked my cruise through them, they were cheaper than booking straight through carnival. Apparently they discount Carnival's prices.

Then last weekend when I noticed that there was an upgrade special going on I called and I got upgraded from a 4A to a 4G no problem. I have a friend that has used them several times because she has always gotten a better deal than anywhere else she found.

Good Luck! New Year's Eve on the ship is a blast!!!

If you are a costco member. I booked my cruise through them, they were cheaper than booking straight through carnival. Apparently they discount Carnival's prices.

Then last weekend when I noticed that there was an upgrade special going on I called and I got upgraded from a 4A to a 4G no problem. I have a friend that has used them several times because she has always gotten a better deal than anywhere else she found.

Good Luck! New Year's Eve on the ship is a blast!!!

I dont think we are supposed to mention TAs by name, that TA discounts the cruise part 10%, which I thought was generous, that's why I was surprised the OP said they found a TA who discounted by 15%.

Archived